Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,848
Re: Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

Bob GR Morgan wrote:

I am glad to hear Canon addressing this customer complaint. However the extreme amount of time M6 ii owners have to wait relative to the owners of the other cameras for something as simple as a firmware update is yet another indication that the M mount is so low on the Canon priority list that it is still in danger of disappearing. Two years ago I very happily invested in the M5 plus several M lenses to go with my EF and EF-S collection and EOS 7D (now sold), but I have been holding off on getting the fabulous EF-M 32mm fearing the fate of EOS M. Why they don’t treat this great format more seriously is beyond me. With their improved sensor they could finally beat Sony and Fuji

Yes.....   but....

in enthusiast APS-C mirrorless with just a few more lenses of their 32mm quality. A quality kit zoom like Sony just came out with (but with IS), a 15mm f1.8, a better 22mm f1.4, a 50mm f1.8, and a proper M5 update with built-in EVF,

Exactly

flip screen and exposure compensation dial would do the trick for me. As it is I am reluctantly but seriously considering jumping ship to either Sony or Fuji.

Exactly

Canon is decrippling a bit here so they might have understood they have gone to far with this one, however, it's for sure its a company you simply can't trust to bring out the stuff for your future needs.  Always that stupid completely unnecessary holding back....

Hate it.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

Canochrome Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

This feature will give me absolutely no benefit, but from the concerns voiced, it will benefit a ton of other, more video-oriented people. And I'm glad to see that Canon is listening. Perhaps they underestimated the desire to maintain 24p, and that's why they didn't include it in many bodies.

My RP will have it first among my cameras.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Canochrome's gear list:Canochrome's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +20 more
SkySpades Regular Member • Posts: 200

nnowak wrote:

SkySpades wrote:

Photato wrote:

Another big deal would be to add the 4K video in crop mode which the 90D already has and offers true 4K quality.

I imagine it's much easier for the M6 II body to overheat when shooting 4k and that is likely why Canon is only allowing pixel-binned 4k in that model.

No, the M6 II and 90D are both using pixel binning to allow reading the sensor faster which reduces rolling shutter. The sensor normally reads out around 40ms, but can do 17ms with pixel binning.

But that doesn't explain why the 90D has a cropped 4k mode available and the M6 II doesn't.

SkySpades's gear list:SkySpades's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +1 more
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,972

Bob GR Morgan wrote:

I am glad to hear Canon addressing this customer complaint. However the extreme amount of time M6 ii owners have to wait relative to the owners of the other cameras for something as simple as a firmware update is yet another indication that the M mount is so low on the Canon priority list that it is still in danger of disappearing. Two years ago I very happily invested in the M5 plus several M lenses to go with my EF and EF-S collection and EOS 7D (now sold), but I have been holding off on getting the fabulous EF-M 32mm fearing the fate of EOS M. Why they don’t treat this great format more seriously is beyond me. With their improved sensor they could finally beat Sony and Fuji in enthusiast APS-C mirrorless with just a few more lenses of their 32mm quality. A quality kit zoom like Sony just came out with (but with IS), a 15mm f1.8, a better 22mm f1.4, a 50mm f1.8, and a proper M5 update with built-in EVF, flip screen and exposure compensation dial would do the trick for me. As it is I am reluctantly but seriously considering jumping ship to either Sony or Fuji.

Yes, even when Canon does something that many people have been howling at them to do, someone will spin it to be a negative. Remember the old Publisher's Clearing House prize patrol that would show up at people's doors to tell them they had won millions of dollars? No doubt your response to such news would have been five minutes of complaining about the fact that they didn't show up earlier, or that they were only giving you ten million dollars, when you really wanted twenty million.

Edit: I see that you are so proud of your comment that you posted it, pretty much word for word, in the discussion on the news item too. Why complain about good news in only one place, when you can spread gloom and doom in two?

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +26 more
vxcalais Regular Member • Posts: 173

SkySpades wrote:

nnowak wrote:

SkySpades wrote:

Photato wrote:

Another big deal would be to add the 4K video in crop mode which the 90D already has and offers true 4K quality.

I imagine it's much easier for the M6 II body to overheat when shooting 4k and that is likely why Canon is only allowing pixel-binned 4k in that model.

No, the M6 II and 90D are both using pixel binning to allow reading the sensor faster which reduces rolling shutter. The sensor normally reads out around 40ms, but can do 17ms with pixel binning.

But that doesn't explain why the 90D has a cropped 4k mode available and the M6 II doesn't.

Because they copped so much crap for having 4k cropped only on m50. Like the 24p which is only useful to some in the world and could be converted to in post, i beleive many issues these cameras can be remedied with firmware. Well done to Canon. I never had updates like this on my Sony's. They would release a new model with update instead.

vxcalais's gear list:vxcalais's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Canon EOS M6 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +6 more
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 5,771

SkySpades wrote:

nnowak wrote:

SkySpades wrote:

Photato wrote:

That is purely an arbitrary firmware limit.  Just like the 90D not having RAW burst mode.

trungtran Contributing Member • Posts: 955

Lets take away a software feature that was in the camera previously, let people complain and then add it back in and look like a hero.

Canon doing a favor to all you loyalists.

Sorry Canon does not get off the hook that easily. The backlash is deserved especially when all along it was software crippled.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6
OP MyM3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,053

SHood wrote:

MyM3 wrote:

I really hope they don't remove my 25p to add this.

Something had to go.

Oh, no. 

The horror! That will be a 4% downgrade !

MyM3's gear list:MyM3's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II
Mirfak Senior Member • Posts: 1,479

trungtran wrote:

Lets take away a software feature that was in the camera previously, let people complain and then add it back in and look like a hero.

Sorry Canon does not get off the hook that easily. The backlash is deserved especially when all along it was software crippled.

Would you have preferred that they didn't add the 24p? Either way, people are complaining, and I don't see how that is productive. Not saying that they didn't deserve the backlash. But the issue is now moot.

Canochrome Regular Member • Posts: 266

trungtran wrote:

Translation: The glass is half empty.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Canochrome's gear list:Canochrome's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +20 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,848

trungtran wrote:

Exactly. It's not an upgrade, it is decrippling.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

Alexsfo Senior Member • Posts: 2,317

trungtran wrote:

It looks like some sort of marketing experiment by Canon.

Alexsfo's gear list:Alexsfo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 1,530

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

More than 24fps the M6 II badly needs Live Crop modes up to 5X "Zoom" for Stills and Video to take advantage of the 32MP sensor.

A 5X crop of the 32mp sensor is only 1.3mp. On the 24mp sensor it would be 1mp. Seems utterly worthless either way.

I've been putting 1MP pictures into reports since the days of 1.3MP cameras.  That's all you need for two pictures on a side of A4, or for casual viewing on a monitor, particularly on a phone.

Those 30% extra pixels might only add 14% to the maximum magnification possible but they do give more scope for fine tuning the crop and levelling the horizon.  Having said that, with the price of memory and storage these days, I don't see the point of cropping at the taking stage either.

Even the lowest Powershot and all the Phones can do that why not this $900 dedicated travel camera?

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,410
in the 7d - they improved burst speed

Firmware Version 2.0.6 incorporates the following fix:

Corrects a phenomenon in which when using the camera with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM or EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens, even if lens aberration correction is set to ""Enable"", correction will not be applied.

NOTE:
Firmware Version 2.0.6 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 2.0.5. If the camera's firmware is already Version 2.0.6, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.

Once the camera is updated to version 2.0.6, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version.

-When the camera is updated to Firmware Version 2.0.6., the following settings will be automatically reset.
a) Date/Time setting
b) Lens peripheral illumination correction data registered to the camera

-Some older versions of the applications listed below do not support functions that are added by the new firmware. In order to address compatibility issues, please download the latest versions of the applications from our Web site.

The system requirements for the latest applications may be different for the applications that have already been installed to your computer. For information on the system requirements, please go to our Web site.

If the firmware of your camera has been updated to Version 2.0.6 from Version 1.0.7 through Version 1.2.5:

-The instruction manual has been revised accompanying the improvements and additions of functions. Users are asked to download both the latest firmware and the instruction manual. You can download the latest instruction manual from our Web site.

Q&A:
Preparations for a firmware update:

After the downloaded compressed file (.zip file) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.

*Extracting the downloaded file:
Right-click the zip file, and then select Extract All to extract the file.

The extracted folder contains the firmware (File name: 7D000206.FIR, File size: 17,461,804 bytes) and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese).

Before starting the firmware update operations, please confirm the contents of the download, and carefully read through the firmware update procedures.

(The following is the history of past firmware updates)

Q: Are the improvements from previous firmware versions included in Firmware Version 2.0.6?
A: Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are included:

(Previous) Version 2.0.5 improvements:
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the image files cannot be transferred using the FTP protocol via USB cable after the EOS 7D camera has established a wireless connection to the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E5 (A/B/C/D).
*: In compliance with the law regarding electro-magnetic waves in each region, there are four types of WFT-E5 (Types A, B, C, and D) for each of the respective target regions.

-The Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E5 must be running Firmware Version 1.0.7 in order to be used with the EOS 7D camera running Firmware Version 2.0.5.

(Previous) Version 2.0.3 improvements:
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera stops working when the auto power off setting takes effect.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which the maximum number of images that can be captured in a burst displayed in the viewfinder may be less than what can actually be captured.
3. Corrects some errors in the message displayed on the LCD screen when saving RAW images developed in the camera.

(Previous) Version 2.0.0 improvements:
1. Improves the maximum burst in continuous shooting.
JPEG Large/Fine: About 94(126) bursts *1 -> About 110 (130) bursts *2
RAW: About 15 (15) bursts *1 -> About 23 (25) bursts *2
RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: About 6 (6) bursts *1 -> About 17 (17) bursts *2
*1 The figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) using a 4 GB card. The figures in parentheses indicate the number of shots that can be taken with an Ultra DMA (UDMA) 4-GB card, based on Canon's testing standards.
*2 The figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) using an 8 GB card. The figures in parentheses indicate the number of shots that can be taken with an Ultra DMA (UDMA) 128-GB card, based on Canon's testing standards.
2. Supports a new accessory, GPS Receiver GP-E2.
3. Adds an ISO Auto maximum setting.
4. Adds an in-camera RAW processing function.
5. Adds a Quick Control function during image playback.
6. Adds a rating function.
7. Adds a JPEG resize function.
8. Adds an auto recording level manual adjustment function.
9. Adds a function to freely set text for file names.
10. Adds a function to make time zone settings.
11. Increases the screen scrolling speed when magnifying images.
12. Fixes a phenomenon where a slow shutter speed may result when an external flash is used to fire intermittent, consecutive flashes.
13. Corrects the color space information in the Exif file for movies.

(Previous) Version 1.2.5 improvements:
1. Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were rare cases where movie files taken could not be opened when repeatedly shooting movies with specific CF cards.
2. Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were cases where ""Err 02"" appeared when repeatedly shooting still images with specific CF cards.
3. Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when using high-capacity (32 GB or greater) CF cards: If either a CF card with only a little available space remaining or the battery was removed and then reinserted into the camera, and then the user attempted to start shooting movies immediately, shooting would stop.
4. Improved the writing/reading speeds when using UDMA 7-compatible CF cards.
5. Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when custom function C.Fn 4-1 was set to assign IS start to the AF stop button on the lens: When used with lenses that do not have an AF stop button, the IS function would not work.
6. Corrected some mistakes in the menu screens displayed in Arabic and Portuguese.

(Previous) Version 1.2.3 improvements:
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the settings of the Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 revert to the default settings when both the camera and the ST-E2 are set to auto power off.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which the Macro Ring Lite (MR-14EX, MT24-EX) and slave flashes do not sync while shooting wirelessly.

(Previous) Version 1.2.2 improvements:
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the set aperture moves unexpectedly when shooting movies in manual exposure mode using some Canon lenses (such as macro lenses).
Supplemental Information: This phenomenon involves the aperture of the lens moving unexpectedly when the focusing ring moves (during focusing). Please note that aperture values also change when operating the zoom ring of a zoom lens that has variable maximum aperture values; however, this is a normal operation because the camera controls aperture values properly depending on the focal length (zoom position).
2. Fixes the AF point-selection behavior of the C.Fn III-7 (Manual AF pt. selec. pattern) custom function when set to [1].
Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF point-selection does not scroll through the available AF point selections. This would occur when rotating from the AF point in the lower left.
3. Fixes the AF point display for the viewfinder electronic level when shooting in the vertical position.
Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder Electronic Level incorrectly displays the high side of the camera.
4. Corrects misspellings in the Spanish and Thai menus for applicable products.

(Previous) Version 1.2.1 improvements:
1. The camera will allow a longer period of operation before the high temperature warning indicator is displayed, and automatic shut down of the camera occurs, during Live View or when using EOS Movie functions.
2. When Auto ISO is used and Program Shift is applied, the ISO setting will be more stable and not change as frequently when the Main Dial is rotated.
3. Corrects a misspelling in the French-language menu. (Only for products with French menu options.)
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which vertical magenta-colored banding appears in still images taken in movie-shooting mode.
This only occurs when in Manual exposure mode and when the ISO speed is set to ""H"". Note that this phenomenon only affects units with Firmware Version 1.2.0.

(Previous) Version 1.1.0 improvements:
1. Fixes a phenomenon that in images captured by continuous shooting, and under certain conditions, barely noticeable traces of the immediately preceding frame may be visible.
This phenomenon is not noticeable in an image with optimal exposure. The phenomenon may become more noticeable if a retouching process such as level compensation is applied to emphasize the image.

(Previous) Version 1.0.9 improvements:
1. Improves AF accuracy during Live View shooting.
This firmware improves the AF accuracy of the AF mode, Live mode, and Face detection Live mode during Live View shooting.
2. Fixes a phenomenon where in rare instances, movie images shot by the camera may exhibit abnormal colors.
3. Fixes a phenomenon that at certain timings, the shutter cannot be released when the camera's built-in flash or an external Speedlite is used for shooting.
This firmware corrects a phenomenon that in rare instances, the shutter cannot be released after the AF assist beam fires when the camera's built-in flash or an external Speedlite is used for shooting. Firmware Version 1.0.8 or later addresses this phenomenon.

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,410

MyM3 wrote:

"Once downloaded, the free firmware updates will enable users to shoot 24p (23.98fps) in Full HD and 4K resolutions for the select models."

"The first Canon models to benefit from the new 24p (23.98fps) firmware will be the recently launched EOS 90D and EOS RP in late October. The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III and G5 X Mark II will follow by the end of December and the EOS M6 Mark IIupdate will be available during 2020."

https://www.canon-europe.com/press-centre/press-releases/2019/10/canon-confirm-24p-mode-for-video-recording/

now bring on the m lenses

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
JordanDrake
JordanDrake dpreview Admin • Posts: 133

GigaG wrote:

Looks like Jordan got his 24p...

I just need to put all my future feature requests in the form of a song...

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,134

JordanDrake wrote:

GigaG wrote:

Looks like Jordan got his 24p...

I just need to put all my future feature requests in the form of a song...

Careful, it might turn into an opera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads