Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
OP MyM3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,053
Re: Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

This press release was not about zoom or crop modes.

MyM3's gear list:MyM3's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II
G-D Contributing Member • Posts: 708
Re: Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

Mirfak wrote:

Alastair Norcross wrote:

This could be really bad for this forum. Canon had better be careful not to come out with some more EF-M lenses, or there will be a lot of folks on this forum with nothing to complain about.

That's why Canon is being considerate in implementing the update on the M6ii last. They want to give folks more time to continue complaining, and to complain about getting their update last!!!:-D

And of course to allow the complaining about the complaining to continue in full force.

(And yes, that also includes the complaining about the complaining about the complaining, and v.v.)

Pffff....

SkySpades Regular Member • Posts: 201

Photato wrote:

Another big deal would be to add the 4K video in crop mode which the 90D already has and offers true 4K quality.

I imagine it's much easier for the M6 II body to overheat when shooting 4k and that is likely why Canon is only allowing pixel-binned 4k in that model.

SkySpades's gear list:SkySpades's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +1 more
Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,596

Mirfak wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

More than 24fps the M6 II badly needs Live Crop modes up to 5X "Zoom" for Stills and Video to take advantage of the 32MP sensor.

A 5X crop of the 32mp sensor is only 1.3mp. On the 24mp sensor it would be 1mp. Seems utterly worthless either way.

It's cruel to burst the guy's bubble like that, given that he raises this request at every possible opportunity (I've lost count). Anyway, if I know that I'm going to crop an image in post, I get good results by switching to partial area metering.

In RAW burst mode, you get an 18MP crop, which is useful because you're often tracking something specific in the scene.

18MP Crop is not enough. The benefits of Live Crops are more extensive than people care to realize, and yes including better exposure with less effort.

This shot was taken with the M6 and the EF-S 55-250 at the tele end requiring massive crop.

It only uses 770x770 pixels and to me is good enough, but is a pain to shoot without a more convenient Digital Zoom.

The M6 II with 32MP would resolved the moon details even better, but it needs a Live Crop mode!

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +10 more
Photato

Photato wrote:

More than 24fps the M6 II badly needs Live Crop modes up to 5X "Zoom" for Stills and Video to take advantage of the 32MP sensor.

Even the lowest Powershot and all the Phones can do that why not this $900 dedicated travel camera?

Another big deal would be to add the 4K video in crop mode which the 90D already has and offers true 4K quality.

The M50 does 4K in Crop and has similar body dimensions than the M6 II.

My iPhone and my 5 year old Lumix LX100 have 4K and the body is smaller than M6II !

Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +10 more
OP MyM3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,053

I really hope they don't remove my 25p to add this.

MyM3's gear list:MyM3's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,360

MyM3 wrote:

Something had to go.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,360

Alastair Norcross wrote:

This could be really bad for this forum. Canon had better be careful not to come out with some more EF-M lenses, or there will be a lot of folks on this forum with nothing to complain about.

They could also add the 4k crop mode from the 90D which is of much better quality than the 4k currently available. You have to wonder how Canon decides to segment these features.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 5,772

Photato wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

A 5X crop of the 32mp sensor is only 1.3mp. On the 24mp sensor it would be 1mp. Seems utterly worthless either way.

It's cruel to burst the guy's bubble like that, given that he raises this request at every possible opportunity (I've lost count). Anyway, if I know that I'm going to crop an image in post, I get good results by switching to partial area metering.

In RAW burst mode, you get an 18MP crop, which is useful because you're often tracking something specific in the scene.

18MP Crop is not enough. The benefits of Live Crops are more extensive than people care to realize, and yes including better exposure with less effort.

This shot was taken with the M6 and the EF-S 55-250 at the tele end requiring massive crop.

It only uses 770x770 pixels and to me is good enough, but is a pain to shoot without a more convenient Digital Zoom.

The M6 II with 32MP would resolved the moon details even better, but it needs a Live Crop mode!

Um, yeah.  Because 893x893 is soooooo much better.

Switching to a 400mm lens on your M6 would have produced a 1233x1233 image.

If shooting photos of the moon is a high priority, I would suggest you start using a much longer lens than your 55-250mm.  Cropping a 32mp sensor is not the answer.

RLight Senior Member • Posts: 1,441

Photato wrote:

Even the lowest Powershot and all the Phones can do that why not this $900 dedicated travel camera?

That (4K video crop mode), would be handy... I'll put in a feedback request on Canon's website for it

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more

Photato wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

Not true, a 5X Crop on a 32MP sensor is 6.4MP which is plenty. (32/5=6.4)

Sorry, No.  That is not how the math works.  Since you are having trouble with the math, let's skip it altogether for now.  A m4/3 sensor is considered a 2X crop of full frame, but you can fit four m4/3 sensors on a full frame sensor.  I.e a 40mp full frame sensor could be cut down to four 10mp m4/3 sensors.

Now, back to the math.  Crop factors are a linear dimension.  Megapixels is an area dimension.  You need to take the square of your crop factor to calculate the megapixels.  Alternatively, you can divide the horizontal and vertical resolutions by the crop factor and then calculate total megapixels.  6960/5 x 4640/5 = 1.3mp

Hell, even a typical moon shot with the EF-S 55-250 at the tele end you need 1MP to cover it, the rest is black dead space and the picture is very usable even with my M6.

Maybe usable for you, but it looks pretty bad on my phone when fit to the width of my screen.

The main point of the M series is to be a fun portable camera, so you are not supposed to be carrying a 400mm zoom monster with it when just a kit lens or the travel zoom like the 18-150 could do when using 5X crops.

You know, the moon you see at home is the same moon you see when you travel.  Cropping to a 400mm FoV from the 18-150mm is only 4.5mp on the M6 II

Yes you can do crops in post but is not remotely the same for some many reasons.

The only time I crop is to adjust aspect ratios for printing.  Cropping is a horrible substitute for the right lens.

Photato

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

Um, yeah. Because 893x893 is soooooo much better.

If shooting photos of the moon is a high priority, I would suggest you start using a much longer lens than your 55-250mm. Cropping a 32mp sensor is not the answer.

Sure no problem, from now on I'll always carry a 400mm with me.

Do you realize how nonsensical and unpractical is your answer?

SkySpades wrote:

Photato wrote:

I imagine it's much easier for the M6 II body to overheat when shooting 4k and that is likely why Canon is only allowing pixel-binned 4k in that model.

No, the M6 II and 90D are both using pixel binning to allow reading the sensor faster which reduces rolling shutter.  The sensor normally reads out around 40ms, but can do 17ms with pixel binning.

dpeete Regular Member • Posts: 460

So much hate for Sony. Man... you guys can't let it go. Seriously... stop spreading the animosity.

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a7R III Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +14 more

Photato wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

If shooting photos of the moon is a high priority, I would suggest you start using a much longer lens than your 55-250mm. Cropping a 32mp sensor is not the answer.

Compared to insisting a 5x crop is useful?

Photato

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

A M6 II 5X crop sure beats by far what the best Smartphone from the same distance can produce even with the cheapo kit lens..

Wanna bet?

Most people would be more than happy to post those 5X pics online.

Alexsfo Senior Member • Posts: 2,318

nnowak wrote:

SkySpades wrote:

Photato wrote:

No, the M6 II and 90D are both using pixel binning to allow reading the sensor faster which reduces rolling shutter. The sensor normally reads out around 40ms, but can do 17ms with pixel binning.

This is a good compromise by Canon balancing between high resolution sensors for stills while providing uncropped 4k video. Canon does it trough 2x2 pixel binning which results in 3.6k file upscaled to 4k so the UHD is achieved through image processing but 10% short of 4k is probably within the margins that allows Canon to use the UHD/4k label.

the 16:9 crop is 6960 x 3904, making 2x2 pixels gives 3480 x 1952, which is about 10% off 3840 x 2160. So 3.6k upscaled to 4k.

I am quite happy with this compromise and willing to accept slightly lower resolution video but with dramatically reducing rolling shutter. I now use my m6ii exclusively for 4k video.

Alexsfo's gear list:Alexsfo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Bob GR Morgan New Member • Posts: 3

I am glad to hear Canon addressing this customer complaint. However the extreme amount of time M6 ii owners have to wait relative to the owners of the other cameras for something as simple as a firmware update is yet another indication that the M mount is so low on the Canon priority list that it is still in danger of disappearing. Two years ago I very happily invested in the M5 plus several M lenses to go with my EF and EF-S collection and EOS 7D (now sold), but I have been holding off on getting the fabulous EF-M 32mm fearing the fate of EOS M. Why they don’t treat this great format more seriously is beyond me. With their improved sensor they could finally beat Sony and Fuji in enthusiast APS-C mirrorless with just a few more lenses of their 32mm quality. A quality kit zoom like Sony just came out with (but with IS), a 15mm f1.8, a better 22mm f1.4, a 50mm f1.8, and a proper M5 update with built-in EVF, flip screen and exposure compensation dial would do the trick for me. As it is I am reluctantly but seriously considering jumping ship to either Sony or Fuji.

Photato wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

A M6 II 5X crop sure beats by far what the best Smartphone from the same distance can produce even with the cheapo kit lens..

Wanna bet?

Most people would be more than happy to post those 5X pics online.

5x cropping the M6 II with the 15-45mm lens will net you 1.3mp at 225mm f/36.  In Full frame equivalence, that is 360mm f/57.  A 5X crop of the Canon APS-C sensor uses an area that is roughly half the size of the typical iPhone image sensor.

A far, far better option would be to use a smaller 1" compact camera like the Panasonic ZS100 with a 25-250mm equivalent lens, or the Canon G3x with it's 24-600mm equivalent lens.

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,865

MyM3 wrote:

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads