Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
MyM3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

"Once downloaded, the free firmware updates will enable users to shoot 24p (23.98fps) in Full HD and 4K resolutions for the select models."

"The first Canon models to benefit from the new 24p (23.98fps) firmware will be the recently launched EOS 90D and EOS RP in late October. The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III and G5 X Mark II will follow by the end of December and the EOS M6 Mark IIupdate will be available during 2020."

https://www.canon-europe.com/press-centre/press-releases/2019/10/canon-confirm-24p-mode-for-video-recording/

MyM3's gear list:MyM3's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II
Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot G7 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,988
Re: Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

This could be really bad for this forum. Canon had better be careful not to come out with some more EF-M lenses, or there will be a lot of folks on this forum with nothing to complain about.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 +26 more
zero214
zero214 Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: Canon confirms future firmware updates to include 24p video modes (also for M6II)

Sony trolls on suicide watch.

zero214's gear list:zero214's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM +2 more
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 5,821

MyM3 wrote:

"Once downloaded, the free firmware updates will enable users to shoot 24p (23.98fps) in Full HD and 4K resolutions for the select models."

"The first Canon models to benefit from the new 24p (23.98fps) firmware will be the recently launched EOS 90D and EOS RP in late October. The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III and G5 X Mark II will follow by the end of December and the EOS M6 Mark IIupdate will be available during 2020."

https://www.canon-europe.com/press-centre/press-releases/2019/10/canon-confirm-24p-mode-for-video-recording/

This is the part of the press release I find most impressive, "In response to customer feedback about the recently launched EOS and PowerShot models, Canon Europe will introduce 24p (23.98fps) mode for video recording"

Adding customer requested features via firmware update?  That must be a first for Canon.  Kudos!

Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,596

More than 24fps the M6 II badly needs Live Crop modes up to 5X "Zoom" for Stills and Video to take advantage of the 32MP sensor.

Even the lowest Powershot and all the Phones can do that why not this $900 dedicated travel camera?

Another big deal would be to add the 4K video in crop mode which the 90D already has and offers true 4K quality.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +10 more
Mirfak Senior Member • Posts: 1,480

Alastair Norcross wrote:

This could be really bad for this forum. Canon had better be careful not to come out with some more EF-M lenses, or there will be a lot of folks on this forum with nothing to complain about.

That's why Canon is being considerate in implementing the update on the M6ii last. They want to give folks more time to continue complaining, and to complain about getting their update last!!!:-D

nnowak wrote:

MyM3 wrote:

This is the part of the press release I find most impressive, "In response to customer feedback about the recently launched EOS and PowerShot models, Canon Europe will introduce 24p (23.98fps) mode for video recording"

But will Canon USA follow suit?

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 11,029
Lol...

...things are getting increasingly difficult for all those Sony bots...

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.humbertoborgesfotografia.com/
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Olsonew Regular Member • Posts: 139

Don't worry I put together a text file which has a rather long list of items which could be discussed.  It started with complaints about the M6 Ii before it was released. It includes EVF, features provided by the competition and even battery life. Even my favorite missing item from mirrorless cameras is no horizontal focusing. It grew much longer than I had thought it would be.

I am sure I saved it and could find it if needed.

-- hide signature --

Automation leads to the need for more Automation.

Olsonew's gear list:Olsonew's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +7 more
GigaG Junior Member • Posts: 32

Looks like Jordan got his 24p...

GigaG's gear list:GigaG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Panasonic ZS100 Canon PowerShot SD750 Canon PowerShot G3
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,931

Alastair Norcross wrote:

Complaining helps, Alastair, complaining helps!  You might be a bit more thankful to the Sony trolls doing all the complaining for you.

Nothing to complain about? Hmmmm.

- Like you said: lenses (especially with faster AF)

- internal viewfinder

- A6400 AF

- IBIS

- headphone jack on the M cameras

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

Mirfak wrote:

nnowak wrote:

MyM3 wrote:

But will Canon USA follow suit?

Of course they will.  The firmware is all created by Canon Japan.  The subsidiaries just host the downloads.

Photato wrote:

More than 24fps the M6 II badly needs Live Crop modes up to 5X "Zoom" for Stills and Video to take advantage of the 32MP sensor.

A 5X crop of the 32mp sensor is only 1.3mp.  On the 24mp sensor it would be 1mp.  Seems utterly worthless either way.

Even the lowest Powershot and all the Phones can do that why not this $900 dedicated travel camera?

Another big deal would be to add the 4K video in crop mode which the 90D already has and offers true 4K quality.

Casey Cheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,328

How about firmware to add dual pixel focusing for 4k video shooting on the M50 ??

Casey Cheung wrote:

How about firmware to add dual pixel focusing for 4k video shooting on the M50 ??

What about it? It's not going to happen, so why bother raising the question?

OP MyM3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,077

Casey Cheung wrote:

This press release was not about m50.

MyM3's gear list:MyM3's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

A 5X crop of the 32mp sensor is only 1.3mp. On the 24mp sensor it would be 1mp. Seems utterly worthless either way.

It's cruel to burst the guy's bubble like that, given that he raises this request at every possible opportunity (I've lost count). Anyway, if I know that I'm going to crop an image in post, I get good results by switching to partial area metering.

In RAW burst mode, you get an 18MP crop, which is useful because you're often tracking something specific in the scene.

yaxexa Forum Member • Posts: 50

Mirfak wrote:

Casey Cheung wrote:

LOL ! Should we run by you if we want to ask a question now ? 🤣

Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,596

nnowak wrote:

Photato wrote:

A 5X crop of the 32mp sensor is only 1.3mp. On the 24mp sensor it would be 1mp. Seems utterly worthless either way.

Not true, a 5X Crop on a 32MP sensor is 6.4MP which is plenty. (32/5=6.4)

Hell, even a typical moon shot with the EF-S 55-250 at the tele end you need 1MP to cover it, the rest is black dead space and the picture is very usable even with my M6.

The main point of the M series is to be a fun portable camera, so you are not supposed to be carrying a 400mm zoom monster with it when just a kit lens or the travel zoom like the 18-150 could do when using 5X crops.

Yes you can do crops in post but is not remotely the same for some many reasons.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +10 more

yaxexa wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

Casey Cheung wrote:

LOL ! Should we run by you if we want to ask a question now ? 🤣

I should hope not! My response was based on a very specific question 1) where the answer is obvious, and 2) would have been relevant if the M50 didn't support 24p and he was asking about that - given that adding 24p on specific cameras is what this entire thread is supposed to be about.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads