Catalina anyone?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
jeffnles1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,361
Re: Catalina anyone?

I went to Catalina but went back to Mojave.  I use Affinity Photo and the workflow of roundtripping from Apple Photos to Affinity and back is broken.  Not the end of the world but the round trip worked in Mojave so I restored from the drive clone I made immediately prior to the Catalina install.  I'll give it a few more weeks to see what Affinity will do to fix the problem.

jeffnles1's gear list:jeffnles1's gear list
Nikon D7200 Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +3 more
terrydev Regular Member • Posts: 250

I checked the web to see what others were seeing with regard to Catalina and Norton and the story is worse for many who apparently updated earlier. Symmantec has apparently not done their homework with regard to Catalina and its Beta release and now has their pants down for millions of MacOS users to see them has having dropped the security ball in play and put them all at risk and they still haven't cleaned up their act.

The biggest threat to your machine is the crapulos nature of the Norton apps. You are literally better off with nothing. The X-Protect system built into the OS and a little common sense are much better.

Scott Vail Senior Member • Posts: 1,517

jeffnles1 wrote:

I went to Catalina but went back to Mojave. I use Affinity Photo and the workflow of roundtripping from Apple Photos to Affinity and back is broken. Not the end of the world but the round trip worked in Mojave so I restored from the drive clone I made immediately prior to the Catalina install. I'll give it a few more weeks to see what Affinity will do to fix the problem.

I was unable to recreate this issue on a MacBook Pro and Catalina 10.15..  I admit that I don't use Photos, but having Affinity Photo installed, as well as the extension in Photos, I tried importing/opening an image in Photos>Edit in Affinity Photo.  I made some obvious adjustments and saved the image.  This action placed me back in Photos including the adjustments that had been made.

It could very well be that I'm not understanding the issue, but I'm not seeing an obvious problem.

Scott

Scott Vail's gear list:Scott Vail's gear list
Nikon D3

Scott Vail wrote:

jeffnles1 wrote:

I went to Catalina but went back to Mojave. I use Affinity Photo and the workflow of roundtripping from Apple Photos to Affinity and back is broken. Not the end of the world but the round trip worked in Mojave so I restored from the drive clone I made immediately prior to the Catalina install. I'll give it a few more weeks to see what Affinity will do to fix the problem.

I was unable to recreate this issue on a MacBook Pro and Catalina 10.15.. I admit that I don't use Photos, but having Affinity Photo installed, as well as the extension in Photos, I tried importing/opening an image in Photos>Edit in Affinity Photo. I made some obvious adjustments and saved the image. This action placed me back in Photos including the adjustments that had been made.

It could very well be that I'm not understanding the issue, but I'm not seeing an obvious problem.

Scott

Scott, it is a pretty well documented bug and on the Affinity Photo support forum their forum guy (MEH) has said they are working on it but no ETA.

The issue goes like this for those who are having the issue:

Photo imported to Photos.

Edit in Affinity Photos via plug in

Make changes in Affinity Photo

Save and close the file in Affinigy

Back in Photos, click on save changes

An error message pops up saying changes cannot be saved at this time.

I even deleted Affinity and re-loaded from the App Store thinking perhaps something got hosed up during the install process.  No go, still had the problem so went back to Mojave for the time being.

Glad it's working for you.  That gives some hope.  I like Affinity and could live without the plug in working but since it was easy for me to back out I thought I'd just stick with what I have for a while until I see how Affinity addresses the situation.

Photo editing, email, some very basic word processing and spreadsheets and web surfing are really all I use the Mac for.  Oh and reading books through the Kindle app.

Thanks for the response.

Jeff

Nikon D7200 Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +3 more
Scott Vail Senior Member • Posts: 1,517

jeffnles1 wrote:

Scott Vail wrote:

jeffnles1 wrote:

I was unable to recreate this issue on a MacBook Pro and Catalina 10.15.. I admit that I don't use Photos, but having Affinity Photo installed, as well as the extension in Photos, I tried importing/opening an image in Photos>Edit in Affinity Photo. I made some obvious adjustments and saved the image. This action placed me back in Photos including the adjustments that had been made.

Scott

Scott, it is a pretty well documented bug and on the Affinity Photo support forum their forum guy (MEH) has said they are working on it but no ETA.

I even deleted Affinity and re-loaded from the App Store thinking perhaps something got hosed up during the install process. No go, still had the problem so went back to Mojave for the time being.

Glad it's working for you. That gives some hope. I like Affinity and could live without the plug in working but since it was easy for me to back out I thought I'd just stick with what I have for a while until I see how Affinity addresses the situation.

Photo editing, email, some very basic word processing and spreadsheets and web surfing are really all I use the Mac for. Oh and reading books through the Kindle app.

Thanks for the response.

Jeff

Hey Jeff...

My mistake.  I went through all the motions except trying to save in Apple Photos...  You're right, I was able to recreate the problem.  I looked on the Affinity Photo forum and found the incident you referenced above.  Sorry about that.

Scott

Scott Vail's gear list:Scott Vail's gear list
Nikon D3

Scott Vail wrote:

jeffnles1 wrote:

Scott Vail wrote:

jeffnles1 wrote:

Scott

I even deleted Affinity and re-loaded from the App Store thinking perhaps something got hosed up during the install process. No go, still had the problem so went back to Mojave for the time being.

Glad it's working for you. That gives some hope. I like Affinity and could live without the plug in working but since it was easy for me to back out I thought I'd just stick with what I have for a while until I see how Affinity addresses the situation.

Photo editing, email, some very basic word processing and spreadsheets and web surfing are really all I use the Mac for. Oh and reading books through the Kindle app.

Thanks for the response.

Jeff

Hey Jeff...

My mistake. I went through all the motions except trying to save in Apple Photos... You're right, I was able to recreate the problem. I looked on the Affinity Photo forum and found the incident you referenced above. Sorry about that.

Scott

No worries Scott.  I was hoping maybe you had found a work around.

Tim G
Tim G Regular Member • Posts: 473
On a MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012?

Apple says Catalina will run on my MBP. Anybody running it on their MBP of the same vintage? If so, how's it coping with it?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

1TB SSD

Thanks.

Tim G's gear list:Tim G's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
LouCioccio
LouCioccio Senior Member • Posts: 2,246
Re: On a MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012?

Same year but an i5 with 1TB SSD and 500GB SSD (cdrom) running Beta Catalina. Elements 2018 & 2019 do not work but Organizer 2019 does. Lightroom 6.x seems to work,Bridge cc works,Photoshop CS5 was crashing in Mojave when you closed it no longer works. I moved on to Affinity. Most apps that have updates are working.

Just a heads up if your are using Adobe products it may be prudent to wait as they are lagging on updates to late fall. 
lou cioccio

LouCioccio's gear list:LouCioccio's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,638

LouCioccio wrote:
Same year but an i5 with 1TB SSD and 500GB SSD (cdrom) running Beta Catalina. Elements 2018 & 2019 do not work but Organizer 2019 does.

Adobe lists Catalina in the requirements for Photoshop Elements 2020, so maybe the 2020 version works a little better.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/system-requirements.html

Lightroom 6.x seems to work

I've seen reports that installed copies of Lightroom 6.14 work (perhaps with issues), but that the installer is 32-bit. So you're hosed if you ever need to re-install.

,Bridge cc works,Photoshop CS5 was crashing in Mojave when you closed it no longer works. I moved on to Affinity. Most apps that have updates are working.

No joy from Adobe on the CS5 front:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

It sounds as though even one CC version that does work has known compatibility issues.

Just a heads up if your are using Adobe products it may be prudent to wait as they are lagging on updates to late fall.
lou cioccio

Leo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,426

Andy, Thank you.

To late. My Time Machine back stop responding. Searched the net and   found a post that advised to erase main Mac HD with Disk Utility. The drives are still shown in place.

I have a second Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) backup. I can run it (stating Mac with holding Option key) but slower.

Now I have a much bigger problem. Is it complicated to reformat Mac Fusion drive to prepare it for restoring from CCC backup?

Leo's gear list:Leo's gear list
Pentax K-S2 HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL
LouCioccio

One of the reasons that I have an ancient 2006-2007 Mac Pro tower still working with an SSD boot drive and has CS5 working on my home network for older software that still works. Only time it’s fired up is for work and then transfer to the newer machine. When not in use it’s shut off. I’ve replaced the power supply on it and have a repair manual. Even added a Bluetooth from an iMac core duo that was trashed. Just like old cars it will be eventual that parts cannot be had. 
At our last Mac User group meeting I told people to just try to update the hardware if it’s possible like I did with the tower and MacBook Pro and clone the drives if you can. I even have friend that has I think an Apple GS that makes the best labels (his opinion) that he uses. Another one loves Aperture she won’t change and has the actual install discs plus update and Snow Leopard all she has to do is upgrade the hard drive to a larger SSD and clone the drive.

Anyway I realize tech is advancing.

lou cioccio

Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,638

LouCioccio wrote:
Another one loves Aperture she won’t change

As many Aperture fans as there seem to be, it's too bad that Apple won't license the code to others who might continue developing it.

Either license it to some commercial developer who will provide competition to Adobe … or put it out as unsupported Open Source code (if no legal restrictions prohibit this).

LouCioccio

My favorite word processor on the Mac OS was Word Perfect (anyone remember) it was more flexible than MS Word for the Mac but alas no longer made. Yes you would think if you are not going to update give it to some coders that can improve it make open source. Take a look (the Aperture people that use it) at Gentlemen Coders RAW Power they say some of people came from the Aperture team. Since I never used Aperture I am sure someone will chime in and I realize it does not do any cataloging of your images only developing.

Lou Cioccio

Tim G

Thanks very much. I'll get a brave pill and give it a go. I don't use Adobe products any more. I've really simplified my approach to concentrate on getting things as right as I can in camera and and my minimal pp is done in Photos or DXO. I far prefer taking/composing photos and dislike sitting at my computer doing pp. Cheers.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,751

Tim G wrote:

Thanks very much. I'll get a brave pill and give it a go. I don't use Adobe products any more. I've really simplified my approach to concentrate on getting things as right as I can in camera and and my minimal pp is done in Photos or DXO. I far prefer taking/composing photos and dislike sitting at my computer doing pp. Cheers.

Hold on. I read a post where DXO PL 2 won't work on Catalina yet.

Which version of LR did you use? I have both LR8.4 and DXO PL 1. I can process a file in about 15 seconds using LR, if I need to. Along with my settings that auto apply at import, the new improved Auto setting (Sensei), and a bulk developer plug-in us use for noise it is a breeze. Not saying you should get it. Just saying lots has changed. It takes far more longer to export a final from DXO than LR.

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +8 more
Tim G
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,751

Tim G wrote:

Seems that if I update DXO first it will work

https://feedback.dxo.com/t/photolab-mac-users-dont-upgrade-to-catalina-mac-osx-10-15/9462

Cheers

Good news

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +8 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,569

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Blimey, you're really trying hard to break your system completely here. Why are you trying to delete these drives until you understand why they're there?

Catalina changed the way it stores data on the boot drive. It now creates a split volume, one for the critical System files, and one for the normal user data, if you look in Disk Utility you'll see two volumes like this listed under the main drive ID.

The actual problem here is much smaller and more minor than is being described, and the description is not completely accurate.

First of all, nothing will "break" by "deleting" those items from the Sidebar. Everything in the Sidebar is a shortcut, so the original is unaffected, and deleting an item is always reversible. If you accidentally delete something from the Sidebar, just open Finder/Preference and select the Sidebar tab. The volumes you "deleted" will be listed under "Locations" but unchecked. Click their checkboxes and they will reappear in the sidebar.

Second, the duplicates shown in the screen shot are not representative of the multiple system volumes in Catalina. If they were Catalina volumes, one would be named "[disk name]" and the second would be named "[disk name] - Data", as they are in Disk Utility. But the screen shot shows they are all the same name. And there are not two, but three. That is a volume alias duplication resulting from a different unknown cause.

For what it's worth I saw a similar problem in Mojave. For a time, I saw two aliases of my boot hard drive in the Sidebar. I never figured out what caused it, and it cleared up over time.

dmiller62 Contributing Member • Posts: 530

casperghst42 wrote:

casperghst42 wrote:

As I just discovered; Spyder still does not have a 64bit app, so do not update if you use Spyder for color calibration.

Casper

Was just told that a 64bit version of DataColor Spyder should be released Oct. 15th. (mind you "should").

Casper

SpyderPRINT 5.5 OSX 64-bit has now been released and is available on the Datacolor web site. All customers who had purchased either of the two Datacolor printer profiling spectros starting in 2005 (the original PrintFIX PRO spectro) and the later/current SpyderPRINT "SR" strip reading spectro (starting in 2009) can download and upgrade their software to this version for free. (OSX 10.11 and later required). SpyderPRINT is the last of the Spyder products that needed to be updated for 64-bit and OSX 10.15 Catalina.

Earlier in fall 2019, Datacolor SpyderCheckr, and also the Spyder5Express/Pro/Elite software, were also updated and released for OSX 64-bit.

And at the start of 2019, the SpyderXPro/Elite software and hardware release was OSX 64-bit from the start.

This completes the transition of Datacolor Spyder products for the Mac to OSX 64-bit.

All updated versions/installers can be found on the Datacolor web site in the Support:Downloads section.

-- hide signature --

David Miller
Manager/Lead Developer, Consumer Graphics Software
Datacolor

Leo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,426

Thank you. I have Spyder 4.

Leo's gear list:Leo's gear list
Pentax K-S2 HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads