Catalina anyone?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Leo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,417
Re: Catalina anyone?

Interested in results related to LR6.    My Lightroom 6 revision is v 6.13.

Leo's gear list:Leo's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR

Thank you! Please, update with farther experience.

To force the running application to quit:  Option + Command + ESC

Opens a small window with running application and allows to any to end.

BurnImage
BurnImage Regular Member • Posts: 476

Leo wrote:

Interested in results related to LR6. My Lightroom 6 revision is v 6.13.

you won’t be able to uninstall or reinstall LR 6.14 or less regardless. That’s why I’m holding back. The installer and uninstaller is 32 bit. Elsewhere I read that you have to use force quit to close 6.14 regardless.

BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4

That may be a problem. One would loose all added after update to Catalina, if  reinstalling Mojave with good LR6 from backup and then updating back to Catalina. However the latest LR6 will be saved

Also you may run LR6 from Carbon Copy Cloner, assume that it will slow down LR6 significantly.

The alternatives except Capture One  ($299 + $150 yearly update) do not have DAM. Affinity recently introduced Library/Catalog.

Mike Boreham Senior Member • Posts: 1,491

Leo wrote:

Also you may run LR6 from Carbon Copy Cloner, assume that it will slow down LR6 significantly.

You can’t run anything from Carbon Copy Cloner. Maybe mean use CCC to make a clone of Mojave to another volume and use that just for Lightroom?  Or have a Mojave install in a VM?

JRET Contributing Member • Posts: 529
Catalina & PS Elements 2019?

What about PhotoShop Elements 2019 running on Catalina?  I've read mixed "opinions" of this & would like to hear any first-hand experiences.

JRET's gear list:JRET's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +18 more
BurnImage
BurnImage Regular Member • Posts: 476

Leo wrote:

That may be a problem. One would loose all added after update to Catalina, if reinstalling Mojave with good LR6 from backup and then updating back to Catalina. However the latest LR6 will be saved

The alternatives except Capture One ($299 + $150 yearly update) do not have DAM. Affinity recently introduced Library/Catalog.

Regarding Capture One, it’s outright purchase so it’s incorrect to say it costs $150 yearly for updates. The model works exactly the way Lightroom used to. You buy outright then upgrade to newer versions at a reduced price if and when you want to.

BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,378

BurnImage wrote:

Regarding Capture One, it’s outright purchase so it’s incorrect to say it costs $150 yearly for updates. The model works exactly the way Lightroom used to. You buy outright then upgrade to newer versions at a reduced price if and when you want to.

I my opinion it’s a little more complicated in practical terms. You’re only eligible for upgrade pricing up to two prior versions. After that you have to pay full price over again. Additionally, Phase One has a history of quickly disavowing themselves from supporting Capture One on new OS versions on anything other than the most recent version or two of Capture One.

This can mean different things to different people of course. For a many combinations of personal circumstances and priorities I would argue you more or less have to pay to upgrade Capture One every 35 months or less.

Another question for Catalina Braves:

Will my existing old printer Canon MX350 with the drivers Canon, which is currently works with Mojave, work with Catalina?

Somewhere on internet was a note stating that old printers with their old drivers do not work with Catalina.

Philip Eihuyar
Philip Eihuyar Forum Member • Posts: 68

Leo wrote:

Another question for Catalina Braves:

Will my existing old printer Canon MX350 with the drivers Canon, which is currently works with Mojave, work with Catalina?

Somewhere on internet was a note stating that old printers with their old drivers do not work with Catalina.

I just checked on your printer on this website of canon drivers available: https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx350.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=macos%2010.15%20(catalina)

The OS that is listed as Canon MX350 driver supported is from OS10.4 to 10.6 which is snow leopard. That OS and the printer are 10 years old.

Johanfoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,809

lacix wrote:

LR desktop version 6.14 - Works OK, but the only way to get out of it is Force Quit!

Force quitting Lightroom each time will sooner or later corrupt your catalog.

-- hide signature --
lacix
lacix Contributing Member • Posts: 711

Yeah, afraid of that too!  

-- hide signature --

(Please, be patient with my Hunglish, English is not my native language.)
UBL

lacix's gear list:lacix's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +9 more
MacOrneille Regular Member • Posts: 150

lacix wrote:

LR desktop version 6.14 - Works OK, but the only way to get out of it is Force Quit!

I'm running that version (on Catalina since yesterday) and "Quit Lightroom" works for me.

huksywolf Regular Member • Posts: 201

THe 2018 MBP refuses to load the Catalina installer from USB stick; instead it loads from recovery partition (Mojave). When I format the internal SSD, it would opt to download Mojave from the Internet; so I have to always upgrade to Catalina from Mojave. Weird.

lacix

Thanks for you to telling me that! - Then, I will keep trying to find the problem.

-- hide signature --

UBL

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +9 more
ArtAlt
ArtAlt Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Re: No slow boat to the island for me.

DenWil wrote:

Not until Epson rewrites their software.

Do Epson printers not work with Catalina?

Please elaborate.

-- hide signature --

Art M Altman
Headshot / Portrait Photographer
http://www.artmaltman.photography

ArtAlt's gear list:ArtAlt's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
lacix

Uninstalled/deleted Adobe application managers and all outdated remains (hundreds of files). Now, LR starts with an Adobe warning for AAM update, but passing to open LR, everything is fine, even quitting LR is now works normally

-- hide signature --

UBL

Mike Boreham Senior Member • Posts: 1,491
Re: No slow boat to the island for me.

ArtAlt wrote:

DenWil wrote:

Not until Epson rewrites their software.

Do Epson printers not work with Catalina?

Please elaborate.

https://epson.com/Support/wa00897

I haven't checked other printers but even my elderly Epson XP-850 has Catalina drivers, but I haven't installed them because the built in macOS ones work fine.

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 8,843
Re: Catalina and Drobo

Drobo has issues with Catalina with some of their models.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/macos-catalina-warning-dont-upgrade-if-you-rely-on-a-drobo-8d/

Some Drobo models have USB C and it is advised to use USB instead of Thunderbolt 3, where available.

Also:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/macos-catalina-hold-off-for-a-couple-of-weeks/

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

Philip Eihuyar
Philip Eihuyar Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Catalina and Drobo

wklee wrote:

Drobo has issues with Catalina with some of their models.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/macos-catalina-warning-dont-upgrade-if-you-rely-on-a-drobo-8d/

Some Drobo models have USB C and it is advised to use USB instead of Thunderbolt 3, where available.

Also:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/macos-catalina-hold-off-for-a-couple-of-weeks/

BTW, one workaround for non-workable media player (Catalina DVD player) I found. The videos/films I ripped to files will no longer play with the new Catalina DVD player. The easy workaround is : https://iina.io/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads