Catalina anyone?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,036
Re: Catalina anyone?

gaston la touche wrote:

Try it and see!

Fine here, just tried editing a Nikon Raw file, and it's still a Nikon raw filer after editing.

-- hide signature --

Edit:

Well, they haven't improved reliability at all. I've just tried importing a folder of images into it, and as I was manipulating some albums and folders, it just crashed, and now won't reload.

Pretty much status quo for me there.

--
Andy

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Daggilarr
OP Daggilarr Regular Member • Posts: 296

gaston la touche wrote:

Try it and see!

Try what?

Daggilarr's gear list:Daggilarr's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Philip Eihuyar
Philip Eihuyar Forum Member • Posts: 73

Daggilarr wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has taken the Catalina plunge, and what they are finding, especially in respect of Lightroom.

Francis
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150224213@N04/

Never had any problems with Mac OS upgrades so I installed this yesterday. No issues at all except it took much longer than any other upgrade - close to 2 hours. This was probably as a result of going through the old itunes library or something. Quite a few apps no longer work and I just trashed them and will find alternatives. Roxio Toast will have to be upgraded at around $100 and the Blue ray ripper/player I was using is gone -any suggestions on replacement? am going to purchase the Pogue's Missing Manual book on Catalina OS. 40GBs of SSD was freed up amazingly.

gaston la touche Regular Member • Posts: 245

Thanks for your info, this morning I shared my screen with a guy from Apple and got a different result.Your results gives me confidence to download Catalina on my new Mac.Many thanks!

DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,039
No slow boat to the island for me.

Not until Epson rewrites their software.

-- hide signature --

dw

BurnImage
BurnImage Regular Member • Posts: 477

Philip Eihuyar wrote:

Daggilarr wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has taken the Catalina plunge, and what they are finding, especially in respect of Lightroom.

Francis

Never had any problems with Mac OS upgrades so I installed this yesterday. No issues at all except it took much longer than any other upgrade - close to 2 hours. This was probably as a result of going through the old itunes library or something.

Thats all good except for:

Quite a few apps no longer work and I just trashed them and will find alternatives. Roxio Toast will have to be upgraded at around $100 and the Blue ray ripper/player I was using is gone -any suggestions on replacement?

The need to spend $100 dollars plus on new software to replace perfectly good software that worked before sounds pretty grim to me. I’d not describe that as “no issues at all”

am going to purchase the Pogue's Missing Manual book on Catalina OS.

Maybe a good idea to do that before “upgrading”

BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
MeVee Regular Member • Posts: 221
Thumbs up for me

Daggilarr wrote:

Francis

Lightroom and everything else works perfectly for me. System feels quick and ready to work.

I'm running a 2015 13" MacBook Pro, i5, 8/128.

Specifically, the software I've tested and verified working well for me includes

• Lightroom Classic 8.4.1
  • Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.6)
  • Photomechanic 6
  • Capture One Pro 11.3.1.6
  • Wacom Intuous-Cintiq driver 6.3.36-2

The Catalina update was pretty quick ( ~ 30 min start to finish). On opening your apps after install, there are many new security-permissions dialogues you must pass though--it's reminiscent of Windows Vista; but Catalina requires the permissions only once, and I do appreciate the enhanced security attentions.

Good luck!

MeVee's gear list:MeVee's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +10 more
IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,203
Re: No slow boat to the island for me.

DenWil wrote:

I downloaded Epson Scan 2 which works with my older Perfection V370 Photo scanner.

They have quietly added software for Catalina just yesterday Australian time

I

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,376

BurnImage wrote:

Philip Eihuyar wrote:

Thats all good except for:

Quite a few apps no longer work and I just trashed them and will find alternatives. Roxio Toast will have to be upgraded at around $100 and the Blue ray ripper/player I was using is gone -any suggestions on replacement?

The need to spend $100 dollars plus on new software to replace perfectly good software that worked before sounds pretty grim to me. I’d not describe that as “no issues at all”

Apple announced well in advance that Catalina would not run 32-bit applications.  So this isn't a bug – "just" an expected and unpleasant loss of functionality.

That said, if you have a lot of 32-bit applications, this is a good reason for not upgrading, or for having multiple startup disks (e.g., one Catalina, one Mojave).

lacix
lacix Contributing Member • Posts: 711

LR desktop version 6.14 - Works OK, but the only way to get out of it is Force Quit!

-- hide signature --

(Please, be patient with my Hunglish, English is not my native language.)
UBL

lacix's gear list:lacix's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +9 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,546

BurnImage wrote:

Lightroom 6.14, Capture One and Olympus Workspace are all running fine.

What I have read is that Lightroom 6 will run in Catalina if it was already on the Mac at the time you upgraded, but since some of its affiliated installer utilities are not 64-bit, you might never be able to uninstall or install it again. If you need that to keep working it might be prudent to make sure you have a backup of your system where LR6 was known to be working.

I'm looking through my system for what's 32-bit, because if I ever need to uninstall an application after the Catalina upgrade and the only way is to use a 32-bit uninstaller that will not run, that software needs to be kicked off the Mac before I upgrade to Catalina.

elliotn Senior Member • Posts: 2,142

DenWil wrote:

What does this mean? Will I not be able to print with my Epson 3880 if I upgrade to Catalina?

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,376

elliotn wrote:

DenWil wrote:

What does this mean? Will I not be able to print with my Epson 3880 if I upgrade to Catalina?

Epson has a driver for the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 that supposedly works with all of the versions of macOS from 10.6 (Snow Leopard) through 10.15 (Catalina).

Epson Stylus Pro 3880 – Printer Driver v10.33

There is also this Catalina support statement on Epson's site.

elliotn wrote:

DenWil wrote:

Epson has appeared to be slow to react to the Mac OS change to 64 bit, but they have been at work after all. The previous versions of Epson software have been 32 bit, which is not supported in Catalina.

I use an Epson scanner for work purposes, and I noticed that yesterday when Catalina became available, that there was n new 64 bit version of Epson scan, called Epson Scan 2

This works on Catalina.

I looked at the website for Epson 3880 and there seems to be new Epson drivers and software for Catalina. I think your device should be fine. I cannot be certain as I don't have that printer.

Iain

Tom_N wrote:

elliotn wrote:

DenWil wrote:

Epson has a driver for the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 that supposedly works with all of the versions of macOS from 10.6 (Snow Leopard) through 10.15 (Catalina).

Epson Stylus Pro 3880 – Printer Driver v10.33

There is also this Catalina support statement on Epson's site.

Beat me to the draw!

I

Mickey67 Regular Member • Posts: 427
 Mickey67's gear list:Mickey67's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T3 Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH +2 more
Mike Boreham Senior Member • Posts: 1,494

Tom_N wrote:

huksywolf wrote:

the usb installer. It should be Catalina but turned out Mojave???????

If you downloaded an installer application with a name like "Install macOS Catalina" and running it produced a Mojave installation, then Apple posted the wrong thing. There is little you can do except to contact them / wait for them to post a new installer, grab that one, and hope that it is for Catalina.

I have made and used a USB bootable installer, using the Catalina installer downloaded from the App Store and it installed Catalina. Apple have not made a mistake.

casperghst42 Regular Member • Posts: 117

Philip Eihuyar wrote:

Daggilarr wrote:

Francis

Never had any problems with Mac OS upgrades so I installed this yesterday. No issues at all except it took much longer than any other upgrade - close to 2 hours. This was probably as a result of going through the old itunes library or something. Quite a few apps no longer work and I just trashed them and will find alternatives. Roxio Toast will have to be upgraded at around $100 and the Blue ray ripper/player I was using is gone -any suggestions on replacement? am going to purchase the Pogue's Missing Manual book on Catalina OS. 40GBs of SSD was freed up amazingly.

MakeMKV and Handbreak is a good combination for ripping DVD’s and BD’s.

Casper

-- hide signature --

www.exilepixel.com

Thomas Hanahoe New Member • Posts: 24

I downloaded Catalina yesterday and have had no problems with Adobe CC Bridge and Photoshop.  I print from Photoshop to an Epson 3880 printer which is responding as usual but the generic Epson icc printing profiles previously included in the Epson driver software are no longer available in the printing driver dialogue box. These generic icc profiles are neither present in the file Macintosh HD > Library > ColorSync > Profiles nor in the file User > Library > ColorSync > Profiles. However, the bespoke icc printing profiles which I created have been incorporated into Catalina from Mojave and are accessible from the Epson printer driver.

In addition, I had some work to do with Audiobooks which had been moved from iTunes to the Books app.

huksywolf Regular Member • Posts: 201

I checked the USB installer on a Hacintosh and it's Catalina but Mojave installer shows up on my 2018 MBP instead! Puzzling…

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads