Lenses for beginner up to 1000 dollars

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
John Wick Junior Member • Posts: 30
Lenses for beginner up to 1000 dollars

Dear,

I had a 2,400 dollars budget to buy everything that I need to initiate my learning process in photo/video. I don't know what subject I am going to shoot, my main intention is learning and them I will decide what to do.

In  this sense I bought already:

- Sony A7R II body (used but with 800 shutter counts) - US$ 1,000

- Sigma MC-11 adapter - US$ 200

- Cases, SD, extra batteries, etc - US$ 200

In this sense , I have left 1000 dollars for lenses. Again, my main goal is learn and, of course, possess a good equipment for future needs. I am interested in shoot stills and videos.

Any advice is welcome.

Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cato1040
Cato1040 Senior Member • Posts: 3,382
Re: Lenses for beginner up to 1000 dollars

Why did you buy the MC-11 adapter?

Either way, the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a good all-rounder.

Cato1040's gear list:Cato1040's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more
OP John Wick Junior Member • Posts: 30

The lady at the camera store convinced me that would be a good idea to buy use cheaper canon/sigma lenses given my budget. But I am starting to think that it isn't a very good idea.

Cato1040

It's not a ridiculous idea if you don't mind possibly compromising on autofocus performance as it can offer you cheaper options but if you need fast and reliable autofocus, it's probably better to buy native lenses. If you change your mind, can you still return it?

Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more

Actually no. I bought in a store 400 miles away from where I am now. I think I will stick with this lens you suggest and reevaluate after learning something.

Cato1040

Ok. If cheap Yongnuo lenses work with that adapter, then it can be a great way to get super cheap prime lenses.

Just got the Canon's version for 300 bucks. Any other lens suggestions up to 700?

Cato1040

Mainly the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 I mentioned. It's kind of a do-it-all lens. It's a general recommendation so it may not necessarily apply to your needs but it covers a lot.

Cato1040 wrote:

Mainly the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 I mentioned.

Right. I got this one you mentioned, but for Canon, which is way cheaper (I am going to use the MC-11 to adapt).

I have 700 dollars left. Do you have any other recommendations?

techie takes pics Contributing Member • Posts: 821

Buy a course for $60-$100.  Possibly specialized on your camera brand.

Get a vintage manual prime lens (I will suggest three, around $60 each) and matching adapter ($10).

These are perfectly usable. They'll give you the low-light advantage of a prime, the manual focus will slow you down and make you think about a shot and composition - far better than sifting through 1000 nearly identical photo's in post-production.

Also, a 30-year old lens looks really cool.

I suggest:

- a standard plain old boring basic 50mm.

- Any 135mm f/2.8 or f3.5.  Pentax, Minolta, Practica, Chinon, Tokina - who cares. They're cheap and widely available.  Very good as a portrait lens!  Looks very cool on any camera.

- Oh yes. A Helios-44.  Everyone should have one.  Google 'swirley bokey'.  No modern lens can do what the Helios does, because modern lenses are all perfect. The effect is unique and it'll only cost about $50.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Cato1040

John Wick wrote:

Cato1040 wrote:

Right. I got this one you mentioned, but for Canon, which is way cheaper (I am going to use the MC-11 to adapt).

It's hard to give a good recommendation without knowing what you shoot. That could be the only lens you need for now.

BrokenPhotography
BrokenPhotography Regular Member • Posts: 465

Cato1040 wrote:

Why did you buy the MC-11 adapter?

Either way, the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a good all-rounder.

Good call was going to suggest the same thing. Mainly the use of a multi range lens or a kit lens via Sony. if the Oper plays his cards right he could get a multi lens & a fixed or prime lens.

golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 11,712
Thats a terrible idea

John Wick wrote:

The lady at the camera store convinced me that would be a good idea to buy use cheaper canon/sigma lenses given my budget.

You should go convince her to give you your money back

But I am starting to think that it isn't a very good idea.

It is.

Look adaptation CAN be a good experience BUT not for you. The reason being is that you are wanting to feel your way around and experiment.

You could save a few dollars on Canon glass BUT it isn't as nice an experience using adapted. Sony are also starting to get a lineup of good "value" lenses.

I would actually say try grabbing one fast prime. 28 2, samyang 35 2.8, or 50 1.8 depending on what sort of focal length you want and if you can get the 28-70 3.5-56 for under 200 grab that so you have a range of focal lengths to try. Save the rest of your budget until you KNOW what you want next

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
No!!!!!!!

John Wick wrote:

Cato1040 wrote:

That lens is NOT the same as the sony version at all. Can you return it. Performance wise and quality it just is not in the same league. Hence the $300 price tag.

Return it and but the Sony version. Since you cannot return the adapter hold onto it. If you are bored and curious there are some REALLY cheap glass you can try like the yongnuo 50, old vivitar 17-35, etc BUT you are largely going to get what you pay for

Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Re: No!!!!!!!

Oh man, these lenses specifications are quite confusing. I will return it.

John Wick wrote:

Oh man, these lenses specifications are quite confusing.

Sorry. It happens to all of us

I will return it.

I think it is a good call. Like I said the two lenses are just in different categories. Even on a Canon body the one you picked up just isn't that nice a lens. The Sony version is ridiculously good for the money.

That's what I was trying to explain in my other post. I think that saleswoman was right IF she explained the tradeoffs and how there some Sony lenses today that represent a good deal

Now what Cato was saying about the Tamron 28-75 2.8 SONY being a good lens is true. One path is buy that lens and hold onto any leftover money until you identify what you want next .

I wouldn't necessarily dump the sigma yet because you may decide to play with REALLY cheap lenses at some point

Cato1040

golfhov wrote:

John Wick wrote:

Cato1040 wrote:

That lens is NOT the same as the sony version at all. Can you return it. Performance wise and quality it just is not in the same league. Hence the $300 price tag.

Return it and but the Sony version. Since you cannot return the adapter hold onto it. If you are bored and curious there are some REALLY cheap glass you can try like the yongnuo 50, old vivitar 17-35, etc BUT you are largely going to get what you pay for

Yea, I didn't recommend returning it again as you said the store so far, but it may be worth it to return the MC-11 and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (Canon version). It may cost more, but the Sony version is much better and would be a much better fit on your body (lighter and smaller). And this could be the only lens you'd need for now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads