A7R4 - example of pixel shift at macro scales

Started Oct 7, 2019 | Discussions
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,166
A7R4 - example of pixel shift at macro scales

First - this is NOT a formal test. It's a quick, subjective look to see what benefits might be gained from pixel shift in a controlled, studio-macro environment. Answer: lots!!

An A7R4 and 90mm macro were sat on a desk with a silicon, chip wafer propped up in front. A single, flat-panel LED desk lamp provided the light and the camera was triggered with a wireless remote for each of the shots (or sequence of shots). The lens was not quite at minimum focus distance (1:1) and the resultant field of view is 37mm wide on the subject. This means each pixel of the 240MP image (19,000 pixels wide) covers a 2µm wide area on the subject (rounding). Double that (4µm) for the 61MP images.

The first image is the whole field of view that was shot. The second is a composite of 3 crops of images taken using the different shift methods (uploaded full size - it's big). The third is a 100% crop into the second for those who can't view original size (on phones). Note: the 61MP images were both up-sampled 2x to match the size of the 240MP image and therefore look worse than they normally would at 100% "original size".

The full 90mm macro shot

Composite of the different methods (view original size for pixel level details)

100% crop into the image above

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
sebbe Contributing Member • Posts: 980
Re: A7R4 - example of pixel shift at macro scales

Thank you for the test. This looks very impressive!

-- hide signature --
 sebbe's gear list:sebbe's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R II
ClementPhotos Regular Member • Posts: 386

This is awesome.

I've been thinking about how the a7R IV with it's increased resolution and improved pixel shift would benefit my stacked macro at 5-10x.

It would add a lot of time to processing, however.

Though, I'm not sure if I'd be able to get any more detail out of my Laowa 5x and TC combo.

ClementPhotos's gear list:ClementPhotos's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +14 more
hjs_koeln Regular Member • Posts: 163

Quite amazing! As opposed to the Panasonic S1r, which has an already impressive hires mode, it seems one gets actual 240mp in detail (or very close to that).

The downside is the extreme vulnerability to the slightest bit of motion in the object or in the camera.

Sony has a FF sensor with 102mp available. I wonder...... Well, one can always dream, right?

Q NTT
Q NTT Forum Member • Posts: 67

Thank you! There is no substitute to seeing the real thing. Impressive!

I would be interested to see the same experiment at ISO 100 but 250 is not bad.

-- hide signature --

!!! WARNING !!!
low tolerance to:
entitled fools
political correctness
people that think they have all the answers
all that in reverse order LOL
high tolerance to:
harsh language
brutal honesty
recreational drugs

Q NTT's gear list:Q NTT's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads