Discard Lightroom 1:1 preview

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
10sj03 Regular Member • Posts: 432
Discard Lightroom 1:1 preview

I tried changing the setting to lower resolution (1024 pixels) and delete after a week but the previews.lrdata file size does not change. I also tried to force a delete by going to the menu library | previews | discard 1:1 previews. Again, the file size does not change.

The previews files are taking up about 20GB which I would like to reclaim.

I guess I can delete the file but Lightroom will slowly build it back up when I view/edit photos. Ideally, I would like to get the weekly delete working.

Thanks.

Joe

Johanfoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,831
Re: Discard Lightroom 1:1 preview

10sj03 wrote:

I tried changing the setting to lower resolution (1024 pixels) and delete after a week but the previews.lrdata file size does not change. I also tried to force a delete by going to the menu library | previews | discard 1:1 previews. Again, the file size does not change.

I guess I can delete the file but Lightroom will slowly build it back up when I view/edit photos. Ideally, I would like to get the weekly delete working.

Thanks.

Joe

You are confusing the standard previews and the 1:1 previews. Standard sized previews are needed to see the images in Lightroom. They are what you look at in grid view, and in loupe view. Without them Lightroom will first need to rebuild the preview before you can see the image, so you don't want to delete them or make them smaller than needed for your screen size. You'll simply have to accept that Lightroom needs that space for the previews.

1:1 previews are only generated / needed when you zoom in to 1:1. You can only discard 1:1 previews after a certain time.

-- hide signature --
tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,950

Johanfoto wrote:

10sj03 wrote:

Thanks.

Joe

You are confusing the standard previews and the 1:1 previews. Standard sized previews are needed to see the images in Lightroom. They are what you look at in grid view, and in loupe view. Without them Lightroom will first need to rebuild the preview before you can see the image, so you don't want to delete them or make them smaller than needed for your screen size. You'll simply have to accept that Lightroom needs that space for the previews.

1:1 previews are only generated / needed when you zoom in to 1:1. You can only discard 1:1 previews after a certain time.

Will standard previews be fully recomputed ecah time a develop parameter is changed, or are they small - yet kind of smart ?

Same for the 1:1 previews : when you only change exposure, do the 1:1 previews need to be fully re-built ?

What about smart previews ? Are they only used in the develop module, or elsewhere ?

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +6 more
OP 10sj03 Regular Member • Posts: 432

Johanfoto wrote:

10sj03 wrote:

Thanks.

Joe

I thought deleting the 1:1 preview after I am done zooming and editing the files will reduce the size of the preview database. It did not. Are the standard previews and 1:1 previews stored in the same lrdata database?

Johanfoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,831

10sj03 wrote:

Johanfoto wrote:

10sj03 wrote:

Thanks.

Joe

I thought deleting the 1:1 preview after I am done zooming and editing the files will reduce the size of the preview database. It did not. Are the standard previews and 1:1 previews stored in the same lrdata database?

Yes, they are. However, the develop module uses its own different previews (not stored in previews.lrdata). So if you only zoomed in while in the develop module, then there are no 1:1 previews to delete.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads