Great, but...

Started Sep 28, 2019 | User reviews
47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 210
Great, but...

This really is a great lens for its evenness of performance and general optical (and mechanical) properties.
Unfortunately it does have one potentially very obvious optical weakness when used on full-frame, and that is...linear distortion. Perhaps I've been spoiled by years of shooting on crop formats, but wow...I was surprised just how obvious it was in the horizons of my seascapes, particularly at 70mm.

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM
Telephoto zoom lens • Canon EF • 2578A002
47872Mike's score
Average community score
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,084
Re: Great, but...

this is a great canon lens, and probably the most underrated! i had mine for many years and my companion on my overseas trips, but unfortunately, i lost it! i have taken some of my most memorable shots with this lens, but then i replaced it with canon 100400 II for its reach and versatility. i am contemplating to get a copy of rev.2 of this lens for travel for being so light and small.

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

ed rader Veteran Member • Posts: 9,000

47872Mike wrote:

This really is a great lens for its evenness of performance and general optical (and mechanical) properties.
Unfortunately it does have one potentially very obvious optical weakness when used on full-frame, and that is...linear distortion. Perhaps I've been spoiled by years of shooting on crop formats, but wow...I was surprised just how obvious it was in the horizons of my seascapes, particularly at 70mm.

you mean it's not perfect?  i'm afraid no lens can with stand the rectal exam of the lens tester.  I shoot landscapes and I use this lens a lot and love it.

ed rader's gear list:ed rader's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
OP 47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 210

ed rader wrote:

47872Mike wrote:

you mean it's not perfect? i'm afraid no lens can with stand the rectal exam of the lens tester. I shoot landscapes and I use this lens a lot and love it.

I don't think the Kent coast is a rectal exam, but each to his own! 
I loved this lens when I used it on crop sensor bodies a decade ago. I still love it on full frame; I just had a bit of a reaction to seeing the sort of bendy horizons I once got on the first cheap zooms I used back in the 1980s.

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 19,303

47872Mike wrote:

Like here?

Microprism Contributing Member • Posts: 865

47872Mike wrote:

ed rader wrote:

47872Mike wrote:

you mean it's not perfect? i'm afraid no lens can with stand the rectal exam of the lens tester. I shoot landscapes and I use this lens a lot and love it.

I loved this lens when I used it on crop sensor bodies a decade ago. I still love it on full frame; I just had a bit of a reaction to seeing the sort of bendy horizons I once got on the first cheap zooms I used back in the 1980s.

It is still a zoom lens and may have more distortion than a good prime lens. I can’t recall ever being bothered by this, but maybe the horizon line on the California coast is not as flat as in Kent? Lol.

Microprism's gear list:Microprism's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +22 more
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,084

47872Mike wrote:

ed rader wrote:

47872Mike wrote:

hmm...do you have any photo ro share with us, which demonstrates that "bend" you are speaking of, please?

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,585

47872Mike wrote:

This is very easy to fix, either in DPP or Lightroom using the automatic lens profile corrections.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads