Nice one Robin Wong.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
daedalusflies Regular Member • Posts: 123
Nice one Robin Wong.
 daedalusflies's gear list:daedalusflies's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
JeanPierre Ancona Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: Nice one Robin Wong.

A pity Robin put this unbearable music on this video...

-- hide signature --

Jean-Pierre

JeanPierre Ancona's gear list:JeanPierre Ancona's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Keith57
Keith57 Regular Member • Posts: 248

Nice video, thanks for the link 

-- hide signature --
absoluutbeginner
absoluutbeginner Regular Member • Posts: 362
Nice one Robin Wong : " 43 REASONS" even better !
Werner Gansz Contributing Member • Posts: 719

I tried a comparison of noise at ISO 6400 with electronic (silent), anti-shake, and mechanical shutters in my m1.2 and I can't detect any repeatable difference.  Each exposure has a different noise pattern but none seem worse than another.  All 3 responded the the same amount of noise reduction in Lightroom in the same way.

IMO, the best way to shoot high ISO for a static scene with any camera is to shoot 8 to 12 high speed (electronic shutter) bursts in raw format and average them (in enfuse or PS, not in an HDR program). For a dynamic scene I do what Robin suggests but I couldn't find a difference between shutter types.

-- hide signature --
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 40,143

Werner Gansz wrote:

I tried a comparison of noise at ISO 6400 with electronic (silent), anti-shake, and mechanical shutters in my m1.2 and I can't detect any repeatable difference. Each exposure has a different noise pattern but none seem worse than another. All 3 responded the the same amount of noise reduction in Lightroom in the same way.

IMO, the best way to shoot high ISO for a static scene with any camera is to shoot 8 to 12 high speed (electronic shutter) bursts in raw format and average them (in enfuse or PS, not in an HDR program). For a dynamic scene I do what Robin suggests but I couldn't find a difference between shutter types.

I also don't find a significant difference when doing that on a PenF. With the Panasonic GM5 unfortunately there is and you lose ~1 stop DR, but the GM5 shutter at least is pretty quiet to begin with.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,040
HR mode?

Werner Gansz wrote:

I tried a comparison of noise at ISO 6400 with electronic (silent), anti-shake, and mechanical shutters in my m1.2 and I can't detect any repeatable difference. Each exposure has a different noise pattern but none seem worse than another. All 3 responded the the same amount of noise reduction in Lightroom in the same way.

How is HR mode in that static situation?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Werner Gansz Contributing Member • Posts: 719
Re: HR mode?

Henry Richardson wrote:

Werner Gansz wrote:

Once you are on a tripod for HR mode you can use any ISO you want. HR mode does merge multiple images just like averaging so it probably does reduce noise but a 1.X user would be better answering that question.

-- hide signature --
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,295

A couple of points he could have gone deeper into:

When I shoot RAW with the electronic shutter, I don't have nearly the degree of trouble with green color cast he mentions. Noise is a bit more prevalent, but that's the trade off for when I need to use the silent shutter, such as during an acoustic concert where I don't wan to distract the audience or the performer.

He mentions using the hand held starlight mode, which, because it uses the electronic shutter, introduces the green color cast he mentioned earlier. Not as pronounced, but it was still there.

I like how he emphasizes that RAW is going to offer better control than .jpeg. I'm constantly asked for tips on shooting concerts (most often by people using APS_C Canons or Nikons), and when I say the first step is to shoot RAW, some people throw up walls of resistance and start making excuses for why they "can't" shoot RAW.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,040
MEDISN uses HR

Werner Gansz wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Werner Gansz wrote:

Once you are on a tripod for HR mode you can use any ISO you want. HR mode does merge multiple images just like averaging so it probably does reduce noise but a 1.X user would be better answering that question.

MEDISN is someone here who uses HR a lot with great results.  He writes about the reduced noise using it:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63143814

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads