Tamron 17-28 vs Sigma 14-24

Started Sep 28, 2019 | Discussions
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,097
Tamron 17-28 vs Sigma 14-24

Very curious for any who have used/compared these two lenses. I can see the Tamron is half the weight, but as I always use lens hoods, it doesn't appear that much longer. Obviously would prefer the wider FL, but curious about overall performance between these two - and both of them to the Sony 16-35/2.8.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +9 more
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,930
Re: Tamron 17-28 vs Sigma 14-24

Ummm, 1/2 the weight?

"Other than that, Mrs Lincloln, how did u enjoy the play?"  (-:

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

rashid7

If u r asking if it's any good, there are enough reviews out ... and most seem to indicate its a smashing success, like the 28-75 predecessor!

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

travelinbri_74
OP travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,097

420 grams to 795 grams, so 45 grams less than half...

-- hide signature --
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +9 more
travelinbri_74
OP travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,097

rashid7 wrote:

If u r asking if it's any good, there are enough reviews out ... and most seem to indicate its a smashing success, like the 28-75 predecessor!

I think both are clearly good, would love to see an UWA zoom comparison with all the new additions. Heck, I would love to see the new Samyang 18 thrown into the mix as well...

-- hide signature --
ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,032

The difference between 14mm and 17mm is huge.

At 14mm, everything looks small and far away, with a lot of empty space in foreground, usually occupied by your feet. You have to look for something more interesting in the foreground to fill this space.

For me, 17mm is more than enough, but it is a very personal preference.

-- hide signature --
 ZodiacPhoto's gear list:ZodiacPhoto's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R II
rashid7

"Heck, I would love to see the new Samyang 18 thrown into the mix as well..."

- me too!!!

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,804

The Sigma FE 14-24 Art is interesting and wait to see more reviews. We pretty know Tamon FE 17-28 already.

Personally I have Sony FE 16-35/2.8 GM, happy in its performance in entire FL range and will keep it, also can use regular filters without having to use proprietary per-lens based bulky 150mm filter system. Then I also have CV FE 12mm/5.6 to complement that has much wider 12mm in some scenes and has much more pleasing sunstar that in general Sony, Tamron and even Sigma are not very good at.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +16 more
Jegruller Regular Member • Posts: 215

Sunstar from the new Sigma 14-24mm. Flare resistans are really good for that wide angle.

Jegruller's gear list:Jegruller's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +6 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,804

Jegruller wrote:

Sunstar from the new Sigma 14-24mm. Flare resistans are really good for that wide angle.

That looks similar to Sony's, 22-point? In my opinion it's overwhelming and not sure if you need to stop down that much that also introduces side effects - diffraction that results to mushy softer photo and tiny dusts on sensor will be amplified big and no mention you will need much slower shutter that limited in hand-held under not bright light.

That is why I bought Loxia and Voigtländer (CV) lenses to complement my Sony and Tamron zoom lenses, their beautiful 10-point sunstar is much more pleasing and even at F/4 they already deliver beautiful sunstar.  My Canon EF 24-70L/2.8 II also delivers pleasing 18-point sunstar and don't need to stop down that much (at F9 already delivers beautiful and crispy sunstar).

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +16 more
kits Contributing Member • Posts: 830
If you plan to use filters

Filters on Sigma will be a pain. Bulky and very very expensive. I sold by Sony 16-35 F4 so I can get a 2.8 wide zoom so I can use for landscape and Astro. I like to use round screw in filters and Tamron or Sony GM are the best option for me as I don't need to spend $500 on filter setup and can use what I have.

Sigma benefit from reviews besides extra wide is weather sealing and excellent performance towards the edges. If cost and bulky filters are not an issue I'll go with Sigma.

kits's gear list:kits's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +20 more
Sevan
Sevan Regular Member • Posts: 233
Re: If you plan to use filters

kits wrote:

Filters on Sigma will be a pain. Bulky and very very expensive. I sold by Sony 16-35 F4 so I can get a 2.8 wide zoom so I can use for landscape and Astro. I like to use round screw in filters and Tamron or Sony GM are the best option for me as I don't need to spend $500 on filter setup and can use what I have.

Sigma benefit from reviews besides extra wide is weather sealing and excellent performance towards the edges. If cost and bulky filters are not an issue I'll go with Sigma.

Pretty much what i was going to say. 😀

Dustin abbot is about to post his review of the lens but sofar from what I've gathered the lens performance is incredible. I have the 14-24 2.8 art for nikon nikon is my favorite landscape lens and having to haul around bulky custom filters broke my darn back ☚ī¸. It's just not worth it. Too much bulk. Now if you don't use filters then perfect absolutely go with the new sigma 14-24. Its much lighter than the DSLR version which is an incredible achivement coming from sigma that release lenses which you need a chopper or crane for 😁

I just switched to sony and look forward to getting the 16-35 2.8 gm. I only plan on using polarizers and few times an nd nd or gnd...though i im starting to shy away from filters in general so i am waiting to see what dustin thinks about the sigma 14-24. One of the main reasons why i got it is due to its excellent lens flare performance which is important for landscapes

kits Contributing Member • Posts: 830

I am waiting for Dustin review too. If I get Sigma, I probably will hold on to my A7Rii as my second camera for a very long time as any time I need long exposure shots like waterfalls, I can use Sigma + A7Rii with Smooth Reflections app. No filters :-). When I don't need filters, Sigma can stay on A7R iv which is 99% of the time for me.

Sevan wrote:

kits wrote:

Pretty much what i was going to say. 😀

Dustin abbot is about to post his review of the lens but sofar from what I've gathered the lens performance is incredible. I have the 14-24 2.8 art for nikon nikon is my favorite landscape lens and having to haul around bulky custom filters broke my darn back ☚ī¸. It's just not worth it. Too much bulk. Now if you don't use filters then perfect absolutely go with the new sigma 14-24. Its much lighter than the DSLR version which is an incredible achivement coming from sigma that release lenses which you need a chopper or crane for 😁

I just switched to sony and look forward to getting the 16-35 2.8 gm. I only plan on using polarizers and few times an nd nd or gnd...though i im starting to shy away from filters in general so i am waiting to see what dustin thinks about the sigma 14-24. One of the main reasons why i got it is due to its excellent lens flare performance which is important for landscapes

kits's gear list:kits's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +20 more
Jeffrey Behr
Jeffrey Behr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,711
See...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63138135

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R4 body and 24-105 lens (latter on the way), Sigma 14-24 Art, plus Metabones-5 adapter for the Canon TS-E 50mm (gen.3) and EF 100-400L-II.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183646426@N03/edit?cameraroll

Jeffrey Behr's gear list:Jeffrey Behr's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Venus Laowa 15mm F2 +3 more
Jaeger Schtulmann New Member • Posts: 3

You can still use filters guys, and they are even better as you do not place them on the front element of the lens which always reduces quality in one way or the other. Use this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1520380-REG/haida_hd4567_rear_lens_kit_for.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAo7HwBRBKEiwAvC_Q8S8Xv2_Q9pRT7NLemw-2BPBX0xjCOHwtDfIpVVmwuJ8vMrynhwwGzBoCgeQQAvD_BwE

or the STC clip filters on your sensor....no big deal and you get even better results than when using the conventional screw-type filters.

dbligon New Member • Posts: 10

The rear filter technique does not appear to support a polarizing option.

dbligon's gear list:dbligon's gear list
Sony a7 III
ukbassman Regular Member • Posts: 194

And risks letting dust onto your sensor every time you want to change a filter (which for me is relatively often, as I switch from long exposure to 'normal' exposure length).

It's still a great innovation and I imagine a fantastic solution if your photography lends itself to leaving the same filter on all the time, but I really wish Sigma would just hurry up and release a 16-35 equivalent....

ukbassman's gear list:ukbassman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7R II Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads