Tamron 17-28mm vs Sigma 14-25mm

Started Sep 26, 2019 | Discussions
tdh1985 New Member • Posts: 6
Tamron 17-28mm vs Sigma 14-25mm

Hi all,

I have a Sony a7riii and looking at getting either of the Tamron 17-28 or the new Sigma 14-24. I have never really used filters and I know the sigma only has rear filter slot which from what I gather are hard to come by or a very expensive front adaptor. I'm fairly new to photography but want something to last and suit me as I develop my skills. I want to try my hand at astro shots and landscapes.

I can't see any comparisons on the two lenses online. Any advice?

Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 2,718
Re: Tamron 17-28mm vs Sigma 14-25mm

Google search your question and look on YouTube

you also have the Sony 12-24

kelly15 Contributing Member • Posts: 837

tdh1985 wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Sony a7riii and looking at getting either of the Tamron 17-28 or the new Sigma 14-24. I have never really used filters and I know the sigma only has rear filter slot which from what I gather are hard to come by or a very expensive front adaptor. I'm fairly new to photography but want something to last and suit me as I develop my skills. I want to try my hand at astro shots and landscapes.

I can't see any comparisons on the two lenses online. Any advice?

This new Sigma is fantastic.

It competes with the best equivalent fixed lenses. And always wins in my opinion.

Added value, same barrel buttons as FE lenses.

kelly15's gear list:kelly15's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +5 more
ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,032

If you need 14mm, and don't mind a 800g lens,  definitely go for the Sigma.

14mm is really wide - everything looks far away and small, with huge foreground space - better have something interesting in there other than your feet.

Tamron is much lighter, and optically great. Difference between 14 and 17 mm is very pronounced, but I find 17 sufficient for my photography.

-- hide signature --
 ZodiacPhoto's gear list:ZodiacPhoto's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R II
kits Contributing Member • Posts: 830

You mentioned you want to do landscapes. So, you will want to use polarizer and ND filters at some stage. Factor in the inconvenience of carrying bulky filter setup for Sigma. Check how much it costs. And it has to have specific adapter which probably may not be useful for your other lenses.

Tamron can use regular screw in filters which can be used on other lenses and you can decide how much you want to spend on them.

Reviews all say Sigma is amazing but does that need pixel peeping to notice? How important is edge sharpness? A good composition should take us towards edges for landscape atleast.

kits's gear list:kits's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +20 more
Jeffrey Behr
Jeffrey Behr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,711
I have the S. 14-24 with an 'R4 and...

...they are excellent together, all the way from 14mm thru 24mm...or at least this copy of the lens is.. I also have this lens in L-mount on a 47MP Pan. S1R and they are excellent from 14 thru about 21mm.. I don't 'need' a 14-, 15-, or 16mm lens, but 'they' come with the lens.

I have a Tamron 17-28 (rented) coming Tuesday to compare with the Sigma; if the 17-28 is close optically, I'll buy one and return the Sigma.. For me, its advantages are lower weight, lower cost, better-for-me focal-length range, and its use of screw-on filters.

I've used the large filter systems (all Fotodiox's WonderPana systems*) on a half-dozen lenses, and while they're not unworkable or unaffordable, I'd rather not have to do it.

Stay tuned to this forum for a report Tuesday or Wednesday.  

* and still have one for the Canon 17mm TS-E lens, which I no longer own

-- hide signature --

Panasonic S1R with Leica SL-24-90/2.8-4 and Sigma 14-24 Art L-mounts plus Canon TS-E 50mm (gen.3) and EF 100-400L-II with Sigma adapters...and a Sony a7R4 body and a couple lenses.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183646426@N03/edit?cameraroll

Jeffrey Behr's gear list:Jeffrey Behr's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Venus Laowa 15mm F2 +3 more
Re: I have the S. 14-24 with an 'R4 and...

Jeffery,

Will look forward to your review. I just sold my FE 16-35 f4 so I can get 2.8 lens to cover my very rare need for Astro. I prefer the Sony 16-35 f2.8 as it helps going all the way to 35mm but Tamron cost is so appealing. I rented for my recent Alps trip and loved it but I had to switch often to Sigma 45 f2.8 that I also rented as I needed something close to 35-40 mm range near lake reflection shots.

Jeffrey Behr wrote:

...they are excellent together, all the way from 14mm thru 24mm...or at least this copy of the lens is.. I also have this lens in L-mount on a 47MP Pan. S1R and they are excellent from 14 thru about 21mm.. I don't 'need' a 14-, 15-, or 16mm lens, but 'they' come with the lens.

I have a Tamron 17-28 (rented) coming Tuesday to compare with the Sigma; if the 17-28 is close optically, I'll buy one and return the Sigma.. For me, its advantages are lower weight, lower cost, better-for-me focal-length range, and its use of screw-on filters.

I've used the large filter systems (all Fotodiox's WonderPana systems*) on a half-dozen lenses, and while they're not unworkable or unaffordable, I'd rather not have to do it.

Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +20 more
Sevan
Sevan Regular Member • Posts: 233
Re: I have the S. 14-24 with an 'R4 and...

Jeffrey Behr wrote:

Looking forward to your review as well 😊👍 I cant stand hauling around big filters anymore. It's so time consuming putting it on and forget hiking anywhere lol 😂

travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,097

Tracking, curious to hear review as well.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +9 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,103

kits wrote:

You mentioned you want to do landscapes. So, you will want to use polarizer and ND filters at some stage. Factor in the inconvenience of carrying bulky filter setup for Sigma. Check how much it costs. And it has to have specific adapter which probably may not be useful for your other lenses.

Tamron can use regular screw in filters which can be used on other lenses and you can decide how much you want to spend on them.

Reviews all say Sigma is amazing but does that need pixel peeping to notice? How important is edge sharpness? A good composition should take us towards edges for landscape atleast.

I don't know if polarizers work for such wide lenses

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +1 more

sportyaccordy wrote:

I don't know if polarizers work for such wide lenses

It should to cut glare on rocks, leaves etc. But, you want to avoid blue sky on the wider end for sure.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads