hardware foe video editing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
stefanocps Forum Member • Posts: 52
hardware foe video editing

Hello, may be this has been posted already many times, if so please link me some recent topic

Need to assemply a new pc to use with Premiere and the files from my Fuji xt3, 4k, 200/400 mbit...possibily h265

I wanto to but somehting that will allow me to work trying to keep the budget as low as possible.

Right now i canno even play back the files with my I7 2600 (3.4), 32gb ram and gtx760

The first question is INTEL or AMD cpu, then what graphic card

Thanks

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
supersargas Regular Member • Posts: 258
Re: hardware foe video editing

stefanocps wrote:

Hello, may be this has been posted already many times, if so please link me some recent topic

Need to assemply a new pc to use with Premiere and the files from my Fuji xt3, 4k, 200/400 mbit...possibily h265

I wanto to but somehting that will allow me to work trying to keep the budget as low as possible.

Right now i canno even play back the files with my I7 2600 (3.4), 32gb ram and gtx760

The first question is INTEL or AMD cpu, then what graphic card

Thanks

either processor or graphics card brand is fine. on gpus, simply choose the most expensive card that you can afford (for as long as it doesnr have any fancy additions, like a waterblock)

KLaci New Member • Posts: 11

You don't have to work with the 4k files, use proxy files for editing.

Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,425

On the question of AMD vs. Intel, I would suggest doing some research on the current state of Intel’s Quick Sync technology. On paper, Quick Sync has the potential of giving an Intel CPU a performance advantage over AMD solutions. However, up through about a year ago I remember seeing multiple mentions of using Quick Sync resulting in lower image quality output.

This potential downside to Quick Sync may no longer exist with the current generations of Intel CPUs and/or Premiere. Regardless, I would definitely suggest looking into it and making sure that you’re aware of whether or not Quick Sync was utilized in any Intel performance numbers you see for Premiere.

supersargas Regular Member • Posts: 258

talk about companies throwing useful technology to the bin

OP stefanocps Forum Member • Posts: 52

i have heard about the quicksync..i don t know what to think about seeing the different opinion on it(better performance vs degraded image..)

I was thinking to get an 8th generation but i see there might be the problem that come out last year that would need a patch limiting some resources..don t know if it is really like this

Of ocurse i  am ready to use proxy, but for example with the pc i have now i cannot even play back files on a common media player..

About gpu, i keep on reading also contrastant opinion. Most says that gpu is not really involved in editing so there is not really need to make big investmente on it

MummRa Regular Member • Posts: 139

stefanocps wrote:

i have heard about the quicksync..i don t know what to think about seeing the different opinion on it(better performance vs degraded image..)

I was thinking to get an 8th generation but i see there might be the problem that come out last year that would need a patch limiting some resources..don t know if it is really like this

Of ocurse i am ready to use proxy, but for example with the pc i have now i cannot even play back files on a common media player..

About gpu, i keep on reading also contrastant opinion. Most says that gpu is not really involved in editing so there is not really need to make big investmente on it

GPU is not involved in editing, is involved in rendering. CPU + RAM are involved in the edit process.

Which hard drive do you have? this can be causing bottle neck.

About GPU, don't buy the most expensive one, that is not always the answer. For example, LR have very bad performance with almost all AMD gpus.

What i recommend, is first find the bottleneck, then decide what to do. This will save you lot of money.

MummRa's gear list:MummRa's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Nikon D5500 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +2 more

MummRa wrote:

stefanocps wrote:

Of ocurse i am ready to use proxy, but for example with the pc i have now i cannot even play back files on a common media player..

GPU is not involved in editing, is involved in rendering. CPU + RAM are involved in the edit process.

Which hard drive do you have? this can be causing bottle neck.

About GPU, don't buy the most expensive one, that is not always the answer. For example, LR have very bad performance with almost all AMD gpus.

What i recommend, is first find the bottleneck, then decide what to do. This will save you lot of money.

right now i have an I7 2600 3.4 ghz, 32mb ram, gtx760 and windows 10 on an ssd 256gb

in some forum they consider the same cpu and ram enough for 4k (but with 1050ti gpu)

Right now i can t even playback xt3 file with common media player

right now i have an I7 2600 3.4 ghz, 32mb ram, gtx760 and windows 10 on an ssd 256gb

in some forum they consider the same cpu and ram enough for 4k (but with 1050ti gpu)

Media player is awful, try VLC .

just to know, you want to play uncompressed 4k video ? Maybe the gpu is getting short there, too much to render at the same time maybe.

-- hide signature --

Quien te quita lo bailado.

Fujifilm XF10 Nikon D5500 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +2 more

MummRa wrote:

Media player is awful, try VLC .

just to know, you want to play uncompressed 4k video ? Maybe the gpu is getting short there, too much to render at the same time maybe.

the playback is awful in mediaplyer, in vlc in mpc..everywhere

It is like this bboth all intra and long gop

So i need at first to be able to see them and then to work in video editing, with proxies will be fine

KLaci New Member • Posts: 11

Just my advice beside a computer for video editing:

Consider planning on storage. Lots of storage.
If You want back up your files, then make sure You have 2 copies from everything before deleting the original file:

You would want to backup your memory card first (two copies exists then).
Then copy it to your primary work drive, and only then empty your memory card (also two copies exists).

When You finish editing, do You want to save the original files or just the final work?
You would want to separate original files, work files and edited files, and have backup from all of them, then you consider many duplicates.

Drive speed and capacity can be vary for different purposes.

Even for a home/family video work You need seeral storage media.
This can be as much as a new computer considering storage prices. Take this into account.

KLaci wrote:

Just my advice beside a computer for video editing:

Consider planning on storage. Lots of storage.
If You want back up your files, then make sure You have 2 copies from everything before deleting the original file:

You would want to backup your memory card first (two copies exists then).
Then copy it to your primary work drive, and only then empty your memory card (also two copies exists).

When You finish editing, do You want to save the original files or just the final work?
You would want to separate original files, work files and edited files, and have backup from all of them, then you consider many duplicates.

Drive speed and capacity can be vary for different purposes.

Even for a home/family video work You need seeral storage media.
This can be as much as a new computer considering storage prices. Take this into account.

thanks for advice!

Anyway i first need a pc to work with !

Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 1,639

Do you have three Microsoft HEVC video extensions installed? If not - link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
sam45
sam45 Regular Member • Posts: 347

If you want to build, AMD will keep the budget low as possible.

Just buy a built system that is on sale. Low chance anyone can home build an equivalent for cheaper.

sam45's gear list:sam45's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Nikon 1 J5 +12 more
LongTimeNikonUser Senior Member • Posts: 1,212

MummRa wrote:

MummRa,

I need to upgrade my 2011-vintage GPU to leverage new features in LR 8.x, and on paper, at least for the g

Now I'm decidedly NOT a gamer, but I was seriously considering an AMD GPU, because the gamer crowd really prefers AMD GPUs for a better price-performance than nVidia,  I've never seen the statement anywhere else that AMD GPUs don't perform well with LR.

So why are you making this statement?  I'm not trolling, I honestly want to learn so I can make a better buying decision.

LongTimeNikonUser

LongTimeNikonUser's gear list:LongTimeNikonUser's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 1,639

I tried playing some h.265 4K HEVC videos.  CPU usage was low, but video decoding GPU usage (shown by Task Manager) was around 40 to 50 percent.  Pretty intensive stuff.

This is with a 8700K and GTX 1070.

I previously had the 2600K and GTX 760.  It was noticeable slower for various 4K related processing/playback.

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

LongTimeNikonUser wrote:

MummRa wrote:

MummRa,

I need to upgrade my 2011-vintage GPU to leverage new features in LR 8.x, and on paper, at least for the g

Now I'm decidedly NOT a gamer, but I was seriously considering an AMD GPU, because the gamer crowd really prefers AMD GPUs for a better price-performance than nVidia, I've never seen the statement anywhere else that AMD GPUs don't perform well with LR.

So why are you making this statement? I'm not trolling, I honestly want to learn so I can make a better buying decision.

LongTimeNikonUser

Personal experience and the adobe forum full of complaints about performance with amd gpus. I'm not using gpu acceleration for the last 4 years in LR.

Looks like they got better compatibility with theR9 cards but ill research before buying one.

I have a AMD 7950 oc, didn't had any problem with LR till they updated to classic. Tried at least 35 different driver versions in the last years, all with the same result. I Dont have the need to change gpu, the one that i have still very capable today, was renamed to R9 280 if i'm not wrong.

check this post https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4177164

-- hide signature --

Quien te quita lo bailado.

LongTimeNikonUser Senior Member • Posts: 1,212

MummRa wrote:

Personal experience and the adobe forum full of complaints about performance with amd gpus. I'm not using gpu acceleration for the last 4 years in LR.

Looks like they got better compatibility with theR9 cards but ill research before buying one.

Adobe's web page here seems out of date.

I have a AMD 7950 oc, didn't had any problem with LR till they updated to classic. Tried at least 35 different driver versions in the last years, all with the same result. I Dont have the need to change gpu, the one that i have still very capable today, was renamed to R9 280 if i'm not wrong.

check this post https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4177164

From 2017.  Not useful since the release of LR 8.x only in the last few months of 2019.

-- hide signature --

LongTimeNikonUser

LongTimeNikonUser's gear list:LongTimeNikonUser's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads