anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

Started Sep 23, 2019 | Discussions
ThoreauAZ New Member • Posts: 15
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

Thanks.  That one is Phoenix (other two are technically scottsdale, but still basically phoenix too.)

 ThoreauAZ's gear list:ThoreauAZ's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM
joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

Stunning! Especially the first one.

How did you capture the lightning? A special trigger?

joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

10-75 wrote:

I have two R's and the the 28-70 F2 is on the one body 100% of the time... I have no regrets and as was said prior, it is HEAVY....

Heavy is not bad: The high weight avoids shake better than a light weight lens. It is a kind of IS ...

ThoreauAZ New Member • Posts: 15
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?
2

stacked over a dozen source images, each of which were just long shutter shots. 37mm, f5.6, iso 100, 15 seconds.  2 second self-timer to trigger. Probably took over a hundred shots, most of which didn't have any lightning in them.

 ThoreauAZ's gear list:ThoreauAZ's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM
joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

ThoreauAZ wrote:

stacked over a dozen source images, each of which were just long shutter shots. 37mm, f5.6, iso 100, 15 seconds. 2 second self-timer to trigger. Probably took over a hundred shots, most of which didn't have any lightning in them.

Thanks, great recipe for catching lightnings!

lawny13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?
1

Hmm...

Like the OP I am interested as well. However, I read answers from people who describe using it on the job, like events, and studio work. I get the use of the lens for that. But I am not one of those working people. I am a hobbiest, and I have the feeling the OP is too.

For 3k, considering the size and weight of the lens do people use it casually. Out and about sort of way. Do you take it with you when you go to dinner with the family? How about vacations, some light street photography etc. Is it a lens, that despite it inconvenience in size, weight, and presence, one would brush that aside and take with with them everywhere?

I wish it is, but I honestly have to say that 80% of the time I leave home with the R and the 50 stm rather than the 24-105 because it is smaller, lighter, and easier. I also know though that if the 24-105 was a 24-70 f2.8, I would more likely to have the latter with me. So I am curious of the 28-70 f2, and other’s opinion cause I am a sucker for prime quality

Shonen84 New Member • Posts: 2
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?
2

I've been a happy user of the 24-70 F4 on my 6D, 6DM2 and EOS R. When they announced the RF 24-70 F2.8 IS, I patiently waited until it released. But looking at Canon samples and users samples here, I wasn't really blown away. Yes it was perfectly fine but it didn't look that much better than my F4. Was it contrast, sharpness, bokeh? I don't know. I didn't feel like paying €2500 for it. And then I clicked on the RF 28-70 F2 samples. And wow, these images did speak to me. I scraped together the extra cash and made the jump.

And boy oh boy, can I confirm what everyone says. I don't need IS because the speed keeps shutter speeds high to stop camera shake *and* action. But most of all, images come out perfect with pin-sharp focus and super pleasing overall aesthetic and bokeh. This lens was a proper upgrade from my trusty F4. It really is like having high quality 28, 35, 50 and 70 primes in one single lens. You get used to the weight, no worries.

I have zero regrets, chuffed to bits.

richardperson
richardperson Contributing Member • Posts: 752
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?
2

lawny13 wrote:

I wish it is, but I honestly have to say that 80% of the time I leave home with the R and the 50 stm rather than the 24-105 because it is smaller, lighter, and easier. I also know though that if the 24-105 was a 24-70 f2.8, I would more likely to have the latter with me. So I am curious of the 28-70 f2, and other’s opinion cause I am a sucker for prime quality

On my DSLR, for family and dinners, etc. I would have carried the 24-70 f/2.8.   The R version of that lens is only a bit less than the 28-70 f/2.  If I was responding $2-3k on an R lens,  I would choose the 28-70 again, as I don't mind the weight, don't use IS on less than 70mm and prefer the extra stop I get with f/2.

If I wanted to save money and weight, I would more likely get the RF 24-105mm f/4.

 richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS-1D X Mark III +15 more
cwall64 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

lawny13 wrote:

Hmm...

Like the OP I am interested as well. However, I read answers from people who describe using it on the job, like events, and studio work. I get the use of the lens for that. But I am not one of those working people. I am a hobbiest, and I have the feeling the OP is too.

For 3k, considering the size and weight of the lens do people use it casually. Out and about sort of way. Do you take it with you when you go to dinner with the family? How about vacations, some light street photography etc. Is it a lens, that despite it inconvenience in size, weight, and presence, one would brush that aside and take with with them everywhere?

I wish it is, but I honestly have to say that 80% of the time I leave home with the R and the 50 stm rather than the 24-105 because it is smaller, lighter, and easier. I also know though that if the 24-105 was a 24-70 f2.8, I would more likely to have the latter with me. So I am curious of the 28-70 f2, and other’s opinion cause I am a sucker for prime quality

Casual shooter here, and yes the RF 28-70 f2.0 is on my R about 90% of the time and I enjoy capturing images with it. Honestly, I carry it attached to the camera in a TURNSTYLE® 20 V2.0 with the RF 50 & RF 85, and the primes rarely come out.  I did just get the RF 15-35 (mainly for video), so I swapped the 85 for the 15-35 in the bag...

 cwall64's gear list:cwall64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +11 more
ThoreauAZ New Member • Posts: 15
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?
2

i dont think you could pay me to use, let alone buy again, the 24-70.  im way too spoiled by the 28-70.  admittedly i just never liked the 24-70.  not sure why, but it never gave me images that blew my skirt up like other lenses have.  admittedly, its the mark 1 version, and has always been on an aps-c body until now.

 ThoreauAZ's gear list:ThoreauAZ's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM
joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

Shonen84 wrote:

I've been a happy user of the 24-70 F4 on my 6D, 6DM2 and EOS R. When they announced the RF 24-70 F2.8 IS, I patiently waited until it released. But looking at Canon samples and users samples here, I wasn't really blown away. Yes it was perfectly fine but it didn't look that much better than my F4. Was it contrast, sharpness, bokeh? I don't know. I didn't feel like paying €2500 for it. And then I clicked on the RF 28-70 F2 samples. And wow, these images did speak to me. I scraped together the extra cash and made the jump.

And boy oh boy, can I confirm what everyone says. I don't need IS because the speed keeps shutter speeds high to stop camera shake *and* action. But most of all, images come out perfect with pin-sharp focus and super pleasing overall aesthetic and bokeh. This lens was a proper upgrade from my trusty F4. It really is like having high quality 28, 35, 50 and 70 primes in one single lens. You get used to the weight, no worries.

I have zero regrets, chuffed to bits.

Nice description. I can understand what you are saying. Often, a lens is more than just a collection of data on a spec sheet ...

One question: Would you buy the RF 50 when owning already the RF 28-70? I am confronted with the opposite question as I am owning the RF 50 and consider the 28-70. I am wondering whether will ever put on my RF 50 again when having the 28-70.

sobrien
sobrien Senior Member • Posts: 1,544
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

richardperson wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

I wish it is, but I honestly have to say that 80% of the time I leave home with the R and the 50 stm rather than the 24-105 because it is smaller, lighter, and easier. I also know though that if the 24-105 was a 24-70 f2.8, I would more likely to have the latter with me. So I am curious of the 28-70 f2, and other’s opinion cause I am a sucker for prime quality

On my DSLR, for family and dinners, etc. I would have carried the 24-70 f/2.8. The R version of that lens is only a bit less than the 28-70 f/2. If I was responding $2-3k on an R lens, I would choose the 28-70 again, as I don't mind the weight, don't use IS on less than 70mm and prefer the extra stop I get with f/2.

If I wanted to save money and weight, I would more likely get the RF 24-105mm f/4.

I find this an interesting discussion. The price difference between the RF 28-70 and RF 24-70 would be about €250 for me, so the RF28-70 feels like better value.

I think the weight would be ok, I could probably get used to that. My wife would not appreciate it on those occasions that I ask her to take a picture of me, though. I also wonder about the sheer presence of the RF 28-70. It is so bloody conspicuous. I am not sure my friends and family would appreciate me pointing it at them. Maybe they would get used to it after a while. I definitely would not relish all the attention it would attract in a social setting or in public, though, and I wonder would I let that put me off bringing it out. Before selling it, I used a EF 24-70 mark ii for a couple of years as my regular zoom, and got accustomed to that, so I wonder would the same thing happen with this big boy.

The images I have seen from the RF 28-70 are really top notch. Both sharpness and bokeh seem excellent. Looking at Patrick Seguin's comparison with the EF 2.8 mark ii, the RF is clearly sharper at f/2 than the EF is at f/2.8 and - even when both are at f/2.8 - the bokeh looks better on the RF. Importantly, also, it seems to have pleasing colours and contrast. I honestly don't think I would need to consider spending more money on fast primes, like a RF 50 or RF 85, if I had this. I don't think so. In terms of what it delivers, at least, it seems like the ideal companion for a family event or trip about town and most casual portrait scenarios. Would combine well with a EF 16-35 F/4 or RF 24-105 and a EF 70-200 F/4 as a travel set up.

I can't help but think that the RF 24-70 would be the more sensible choice, though, and if there was a bigger price differential it would be a much easier decision.

And then I think, hey the RF 24-105 does a really great job for most things, so combining it with a RF 50 would be the way to go, and it would be another €250 less expensive than the RF 24-70.

Hmmm.

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135843555@N03/

 sobrien's gear list:sobrien's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +16 more
richardperson
richardperson Contributing Member • Posts: 752
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

sobrien wrote:

It is so bloody conspicuous. I am not sure my friends and family would appreciate me pointing it at them. Maybe they would get used to it after a while. I definitely would not relish all the attention it would attract in a social setting or in public, though, and I wonder would I let that put me off bringing it out. Before selling it, I used a EF 24-70 mark ii for a couple of years as my regular zoom, and got accustomed to that, so I wonder would the same thing happen with this big boy.

I take mine often to Disneyland to do family pictures.  I have had two security screeners say (wow, that is a big lens), and two camera enthusiasts in the park ask about it.  Otherwise, nobody really cares.

Having both lenses, if I were in your shoes and bought the 24-70mm, I might always wonder "what if", but I don't think you will have any regrets like "I wish I would have bought that smaller lens instead."

 richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS-1D X Mark III +15 more
lawny13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

sobrien wrote:

richardperson wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

I wish it is, but I honestly have to say that 80% of the time I leave home with the R and the 50 stm rather than the 24-105 because it is smaller, lighter, and easier. I also know though that if the 24-105 was a 24-70 f2.8, I would more likely to have the latter with me. So I am curious of the 28-70 f2, and other’s opinion cause I am a sucker for prime quality

On my DSLR, for family and dinners, etc. I would have carried the 24-70 f/2.8. The R version of that lens is only a bit less than the 28-70 f/2. If I was responding $2-3k on an R lens, I would choose the 28-70 again, as I don't mind the weight, don't use IS on less than 70mm and prefer the extra stop I get with f/2.

If I wanted to save money and weight, I would more likely get the RF 24-105mm f/4.

I find this an interesting discussion. The price difference between the RF 28-70 and RF 24-70 would be about €250 for me, so the RF28-70 feels like better value.

I think the weight would be ok, I could probably get used to that. My wife would not appreciate it on those occasions that I ask her to take a picture of me, though. I also wonder about the sheer presence of the RF 28-70. It is so bloody conspicuous. I am not sure my friends and family would appreciate me pointing it at them. Maybe they would get used to it after a while. I definitely would not relish all the attention it would attract in a social setting or in public, though, and I wonder would I let that put me off bringing it out. Before selling it, I used a EF 24-70 mark ii for a couple of years as my regular zoom, and got accustomed to that, so I wonder would the same thing happen with this big boy.

The images I have seen from the RF 28-70 are really top notch. Both sharpness and bokeh seem excellent. Looking at Patrick Seguin's comparison with the EF 2.8 mark ii, the RF is clearly sharper at f/2 than the EF is at f/2.8 and - even when both are at f/2.8 - the bokeh looks better on the RF. Importantly, also, it seems to have pleasing colours and contrast. I honestly don't think I would need to consider spending more money on fast primes, like a RF 50 or RF 85, if I had this. I don't think so. In terms of what it delivers, at least, it seems like the ideal companion for a family event or trip about town and most casual portrait scenarios. Would combine well with a EF 16-35 F/4 or RF 24-105 and a EF 70-200 F/4 as a travel set up.

I can't help but think that the RF 24-70 would be the more sensible choice, though, and if there was a bigger price differential it would be a much easier decision.

And then I think, hey the RF 24-105 does a really great job for most things, so combining it with a RF 50 would be the way to go, and it would be another €250 less expensive than the RF 24-70.

Hmmm.

I get all you are saying but for now... price weight and definitely IS gives the advantage to the RF.

If canon had an IBIS body out it would be a different story.

And though I get the several primes in one argument the size difference is huge. I mean... if canon brought out a 50f1.4 or F1.8 I would go with it instead as my walk around (the stm is just meh). I couldn’t even make the argument dienstje 28-70 for travel because it draws too much attention. So it would have to be as you say doe around town and such... but again size and price.

I am more likely to take out of the bag the R with the 50 stm mounted than the 24-105, simply because the latter is more distracting to others than the former so I can only imagine the 28-70.

that said... I want the 28-70. I want it, I want to use it, I want to justify it. But perhaps that is GAS. I know I would predominantly shoot it at 40-70, which means that as I said a 50 would fit the bill 75% of the time. And this smaller, lighter, and probably 6x cheaper.

last but not least I want and will get the 70-200. And that really holes me back from the 28-70. Just too much to drop almost 6k in one go or in half a year.

Shonen84 New Member • Posts: 2
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?
1

My EF 24-70 F4 had clear shortcomings on 50mm. It was nowhere near as sharp as even the EF 50 1.8 and 1.4. The RF 50 is apparently amazing, but I don't need it as I have sufficient speed and technical quality with the F2. I do use the fantastic RF 35mm as a very light and compact walkaround alternative. I find 35 mm on full frame much more versatile than 50 mm.

There's so much I love about the F2 - it fills so much roles so very well with little to no optical compromise.

DominikT
DominikT Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

I’m in the same boat as you. I do the odd wedding or family portrait session but most of the time I’m shooting as a hobby. Street, holidays, family. So getting the RF 28-70 is a bit overkill for the sheer size of it. I can’t decide if I should go for it or the RF 50. As it’s the one focal length I’m missing on my R.

im actually thinking of selling all my EF lenses and just getting the RF 28-70 because usually I walk around with one lens. Mostly the 24-70ii. But that lens is just so much smaller and easier to take with me everywhere I go. I’m not sure if the 28-70 will be just too big to use as an everyday lens...

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R
EF 35 f2 IS
EF 24-70 f2.8L II
EF 70-200 f4L IS
EF 100 f2.8L Macro
Fuji X-E2
Zuiko OM 50mm f1.4
Zuiko OM 28mm f2

lawny13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

DominikT wrote:

I’m in the same boat as you. I do the odd wedding or family portrait session but most of the time I’m shooting as a hobby. Street, holidays, family. So getting the RF 28-70 is a bit overkill for the sheer size of it. I can’t decide if I should go for it or the RF 50. As it’s the one focal length I’m missing on my R.

im actually thinking of selling all my EF lenses and just getting the RF 28-70 because usually I walk around with one lens. Mostly the 24-70ii. But that lens is just so much smaller and easier to take with me everywhere I go. I’m not sure if the 28-70 will be just too big to use as an everyday lens...

Well with the adapter on... I think they are about the same length. The 28-70 is wider though. Not sure about weight (can't be bothered looking them up). 
I imagine the 28-70 would be better than the 24-70ii adapted though, because of balance.

sobrien
sobrien Senior Member • Posts: 1,544
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?
1

I had a chance to use it today in a store for a little while today, maybe 15 minutes or so.

I was very impressed with the handling. Feels great in the hand when in use. The little ridge where it widens slightly is perfect for a finger underneath the barrel. All of the rings were nicely accessible when supporting it that way - even the control ring on the front, which was a nice surprise. I was surprised at how balanced it felt, not at all unwieldy and actually a pleasure.

It was not difficult to hold it in "selfie" direction - probably better than most other lenses, in fact, because holding it under its centre of weight, behind that little ridge, places the sensor a bit further back - makes up a little bit for the lost 4cm for the purpose of selfies. If you are into that kind of thing. 

The weight was noticeable after holding it by my side for a little while, though. I would be interested to see how I might get on over an extended period with my hand strap . I suspect it would get pretty heavy even with the strap and that it is probably more of a shoulder strap lens.

The AF seemed pretty fast. Not lightning fast, and I expect the RF 24-70 2.8 to be faster, but probably fast enough for most purposes. I tried it in video and, yeah, it was not nearly as quiet as the nano USM lenses, but it was not as loud as I expected it to be based on the criticisms I had come across.

The front element is monstrous, however, and I would consider theft insurance before deciding to buy this. This is not news to anyone, but this lens will attract attention.

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135843555@N03/

 sobrien's gear list:sobrien's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +16 more
DominikT
DominikT Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

sobrien wrote:

I had a chance to use it today in a store for a little while today, maybe 15 minutes or so.

I was very impressed with the handling. Feels great in the hand when in use. The little ridge where it widens slightly is perfect for a finger underneath the barrel. All of the rings were nicely accessible when supporting it that way - even the control ring on the front, which was a nice surprise. I was surprised at how balanced it felt, not at all unwieldy and actually a pleasure.

It was not difficult to hold it in "selfie" direction - probably better than most other lenses, in fact, because holding it under its centre of weight, behind that little ridge, places the sensor a bit further back - makes up a little bit for the lost 4cm for the purpose of selfies. If you are into that kind of thing.

The weight was noticeable after holding it by my side for a little while, though. I would be interested to see how I might get on over an extended period with my hand strap . I suspect it would get pretty heavy even with the strap and that it is probably more of a shoulder strap lens.

The AF seemed pretty fast. Not lightning fast, and I expect the RF 24-70 2.8 to be faster, but probably fast enough for most purposes. I tried it in video and, yeah, it was not nearly as quiet as the nano USM lenses, but it was not as loud as I expected it to be based on the criticisms I had come across.

The front element is monstrous, however, and I would consider theft insurance before deciding to buy this. This is not news to anyone, but this lens will attract attention.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the lens. I really want to make this my walk around lens. I’ve decided to rent it for a weekend to see how I get on with it. But it’s been overcast and raining most days here in London. So I’m waiting for some better weather.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R
EF 35 f2 IS
EF 24-70 f2.8L II
EF 70-200 f4L IS
EF 100 f2.8L Macro
Fuji X-E2
Zuiko OM 50mm f1.4
Zuiko OM 28mm f2

Nickemmano Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

DominikT wrote:

sobrien wrote:

I had a chance to use it today in a store for a little while today, maybe 15 minutes or so.

I was very impressed with the handling. Feels great in the hand when in use. The little ridge where it widens slightly is perfect for a finger underneath the barrel. All of the rings were nicely accessible when supporting it that way - even the control ring on the front, which was a nice surprise. I was surprised at how balanced it felt, not at all unwieldy and actually a pleasure.

It was not difficult to hold it in "selfie" direction - probably better than most other lenses, in fact, because holding it under its centre of weight, behind that little ridge, places the sensor a bit further back - makes up a little bit for the lost 4cm for the purpose of selfies. If you are into that kind of thing.

The weight was noticeable after holding it by my side for a little while, though. I would be interested to see how I might get on over an extended period with my hand strap . I suspect it would get pretty heavy even with the strap and that it is probably more of a shoulder strap lens.

The AF seemed pretty fast. Not lightning fast, and I expect the RF 24-70 2.8 to be faster, but probably fast enough for most purposes. I tried it in video and, yeah, it was not nearly as quiet as the nano USM lenses, but it was not as loud as I expected it to be based on the criticisms I had come across.

The front element is monstrous, however, and I would consider theft insurance before deciding to buy this. This is not news to anyone, but this lens will attract attention.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the lens. I really want to make this my walk around lens. I’ve decided to rent it for a weekend to see how I get on with it. But it’s been overcast and raining most days here in London. So I’m waiting for some better weather.

I am too considering the lens. Most of my usage will be landscape and travel and i wonder how it feels after a long period of time. So if you have indeed rented it i would like to hear about your conclusions

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads