anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

Started Sep 23, 2019 | Discussions
FujLiver
FujLiver Contributing Member • Posts: 937
anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

This lens is really tempting me to just buy a EOS-R to use on it

I just wondered if anyone is using it regularly (e.g. out and about) and any comments on handling and results ?

many thanks in advance

-- hide signature --

"No photograph survives first contact with the subject"

FujLiver's gear list:FujLiver's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic S1 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z6 Leica M Typ 240 +6 more
Hamilton NYC
Hamilton NYC Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: anyone using the 28-70 f2 as a regular lens ?

I own it and use it as part of my regular kit.  It’s an amazing lens and most of the hyperbole you’ve read is spot-on.

If I had one issue with it, it’s that it is heavy.  Like, really, really heavy.  I recently did some event work that paired it with a 600EX and consistently found myself readjusting in downtime to find a more comfortable resting position.

Barring that, I’m in love with it and typically have it mounted on my primary body.

10-75 Forum Member • Posts: 72

I have two R's and the the 28-70 F2 is on the one body 100% of the time...  I have no regrets and as was said prior, it is HEAVY....

nokinonacynos Regular Member • Posts: 110

I've had one for around 4 weeks now. Was an impulse buy but no regrets at all. Yes, it is a heavy beast but then you are getting 4 fast primes in one lens. Super sharp, virtually no CA or distortion. Great for landscapes, street and general photography. The bokeh is buttery smooth. It's nice not to need to change lenses when you want to do some portraits. In fact, I don't use my EF 85 1.2L much now and will probably sell it.

One thing to note, if you do video, the internal mic will pick up the AF sound. It's got a kinda clickety sound. It's soft but discernible. Maybe Canon could do a firmware update to get rid of that sound in video mode. The other thing is 95mm filters are expensive!

JohnWick4001 Contributing Member • Posts: 514

FujLiver wrote:

I just wondered if anyone is using it regularly (e.g. out and about) and any comments on handling and results ?

many thanks in advance

I'm a brand philanderer, and I too would buy into the system just for this lens once Canon releases a proper body-unless Sigma or Nikon release an equivalent for their mounts..

JohnWick4001's gear list:JohnWick4001's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R3 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +5 more
Jopix photography
Jopix photography New Member • Posts: 16

I don't own one (yet), waiting to get the 24-70 2.8 reviews and then buy one of the 2...

RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,019

It's mounted 90% of the time on my EOS R, and I take it out frequently. If I get tired of it or it's inappropriate, that's where my EOS M6 comes in. It's VERY capable and produces results otherwise not possible.

I'll second others with the heavy, but, I don't mount a flash; it makes a big difference. The lightweight EL-100 mounted on my R + RF 28-70 f/2L pushes it over comfortable. Likewise, any camera bag with the R + RF 28-70 f/2L pushes it over comfortable. However, by itself with the R, it is comfortable. I'll have it slung around me for whole events with a single fully charged battery without complaint and shoot ambient light.

It should be noted, the weight distribution of the RF 28-70 f/2L being rear-centric makes it in fact in my book, easier to handle than a 5D Mark III with EF 24-105 f/4 mounted (I handled a counterpart of mine's alongside my R + RF 28-70). The latter is more front heavy and thus "pulls on you" more than the heavier R + RF 28-70 f/2L. I often half-sling it across my body though, not the just over your neck though, which will just "sit" and be "heavy". I use the stock EOS R strap. After trying several third party straps, I found the stock is the best when slung across your body with R + RF 28-70 f/2L only.

I have a Flickr Album just for the lens if interested.

https://flickr.com/photos/130836605@N07/albums/72157708448106864

Pretty much SOOC RAWs converted to JPEG with automatic lens corrections, picture profile swaps to taste or a couple but most are in fact the default "standard". I've done some automatic lighting tweaks via DPP4 > TIFF > LR on the last couple shots posted though. Playing with LR again. I probably will not re-up my subscription and may "downgrade" to LR 6 via B&H, while I still can.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Dave Seeley Senior Member • Posts: 1,745

I rented it for a week...  It's a beast, but breathtaking in it's capabilities...  During a studio shoot, it was amazing for constant studio ambient shooting while the 5Dsr was popping flash units...  I did take it on a few outside forays, on a Black Rapid shoulder strap, that screws in to the tripod lug...  it hangs nicely at my side in a way that is natural to raise and shoot...  Big and heavy, but amazing low light and bokeh...  better balance than the ef70-200L is ii.  I'll buy one, but not critical till I replace my 5Dsr w a high rez R offering.  Love a refurb at $2K at that point.

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration - check my website via my profile

Dave Seeley's gear list:Dave Seeley's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS M Canon EOS R +20 more

JohnWick4001 wrote:

FujLiver wrote:

many thanks in advance

I'm a brand philanderer, and I too would buy into the system just for this lens once Canon releases a proper body-unless Sigma or Nikon release an equivalent for their mounts..

and yet you are surfing the R forum...   I too was waiting for that proper R body, but got too impatient and bought the R....   and have been very pleasantly surprised.  I figured I'd sell it when that proper body came out, but it's compact and light enough for travel, so it doesn't bode well for my M5 system...  If that proper body is as large as the 5Dsr, I may keep the R for travel....  if it's small and compact, I may become a one camera shooter.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS M Canon EOS R +20 more
tenordrum Regular Member • Posts: 445

RLight wrote:

It's mounted 90% of the time on my EOS R, and I take it out frequently. If I get tired of it or it's inappropriate, that's where my EOS M6 comes in. It's VERY capable and produces results otherwise not possible.

I'll second others with the heavy, but, I don't mount a flash; it makes a big difference. The lightweight EL-100 mounted on my R + RF 28-70 f/2L pushes it over comfortable. Likewise, any camera bag with the R + RF 28-70 f/2L pushes it over comfortable. However, by itself with the R, it is comfortable. I'll have it slung around me for whole events with a single fully charged battery without complaint and shoot ambient light.

It should be noted, the weight distribution of the RF 28-70 f/2L being rear-centric makes it in fact in my book, easier to handle than a 5D Mark III with EF 24-105 f/4 mounted (I handled a counterpart of mine's alongside my R + RF 28-70). The latter is more front heavy and thus "pulls on you" more than the heavier R + RF 28-70 f/2L. I often half-sling it across my body though, not the just over your neck though, which will just "sit" and be "heavy". I use the stock EOS R strap. After trying several third party straps, I found the stock is the best when slung across your body with R + RF 28-70 f/2L only.

Pretty much SOOC RAWs converted to JPEG with automatic lens corrections, picture profile swaps to taste or a couple but most are in fact the default "standard". I've done some automatic lighting tweaks via DPP4 > TIFF > LR on the last couple shots posted though. Playing with LR again. I probably will not re-up my subscription and may "downgrade" to LR 6 via B&H, while I still can.

Just have to say that I really enjoyed your Flickr album shots. The Highland Brewery sign made me smile. Good brew, nice tour. Your kid photos are terrific. As a grandpa, I wish I had your skill. I can only imagine how tough it may be to get the bump a car shots. Thanks for sharing the link.

tenordrum's gear list:tenordrum's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro

RLight wrote:

lovely collection!

-- hide signature --

Peter_Non
Peter_Non Junior Member • Posts: 31

it's my only lens and i buy it for never remove from the camera (except when the new rf 70-400 will release)

here a little selection of picture i made with it

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141780650@N08/albums/72157710014959297

best lens i ever had.

i bought the R because this lens

johnnyandedgar Contributing Member • Posts: 514

It weighs 3.1 pounds.

WAAAAAY to heavy for my taste. I will stick with the RF 24-105.

johnnyandedgar

richardperson
richardperson Contributing Member • Posts: 752

FujLiver wrote:

many thanks in advance

Yes, frequently. Sure, it is a bit heavier than ideal, but it is shorter than a 70-200, so not terrible. I rarely rely on IS and often shoot fully open aperture. I also try and get family in all my shots--especially my daughters who always like nice portrait shots. The flexibility of having this lens on in low light is also nice. I don't mind the extra poundage and really don't care what other people think of my carrying a big lens.

I have an EF 24-70mm f/2.8, and it rarely gets used these days. I rarely miss the 24-28mm range and greatly appreciate the extra stop and background blur options.

This lens was my primary reason for buying the R and I would do it again.

If going light was my main goal then I would just use my iPhone.

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EOS RP +15 more
Rxhealer New Member • Posts: 11

I'll have to agree with most here. I've been using as my primary since purchase. Yes, it's heavy but I've gotten used to it. Kind of feels like my 5DIV with a the new 85mm 1.4. Feels very balanced in my hand. I brace the lens in one hand and shot away. Image quality is totally amazing. The RF 50mm and RF 28-70mm are the main lens I carry with my EOS R. Hate to admit but I rarely use my 5DIV much anymore. This new kit has won me over. Looking forward to the pro version EOS.

Rxhealer's gear list:Rxhealer's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +15 more
3mcnasty New Member • Posts: 24

I actually don't find the 28-70 to be all that unwieldy compared to say a 70-200. Even though the weight is comparable between the two the balance is much better with the 28-70. With the battery grip I'd say it's a big but awesome combo that balances surprisingly well in the hand.

3mcnasty's gear list:3mcnasty's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM
pinoymamba New Member • Posts: 8

Everyday carry!

ThoreauAZ New Member • Posts: 15

Coming from an 80D with the original 24-70 2.8 (honestly never liked that lens) and original 70-200 2.8 is, the R + 28-70 2 is my primary setup now (with the 70-200 still getting some use and staying in the camera bag.)

Heavy, duh.  Worth it?  I sure as hell think so.  I just hope my skillset can catch up to even a fraction of what the hardware is capable of.

ThoreauAZ's gear list:ThoreauAZ's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS 80D Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
johncal Regular Member • Posts: 473

You found the solution. Just make it a bit heavier yet by adding the battery grip...... but the camera is so much better balanced and easy on your hands that it is a lot less fatiguing.

I found that without the grip that the lower right corner of the camera dug into the outside of the palm of my hand because you need to slide your hand down to counterbalance the weight of the larger or heavier lenses. I'm shocked more people don't use the grip as it makes the camera so much better IMO. You certainly don't buy an R camera because it's tiny and then put a big honkin' lens on it. that's counter intuitive. Coming from my 70D, the R with the grip is still Liliputian by comparison. And BTW, the quality of the grip is stellar, definitely worth the high price.

johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +8 more
gilliano Regular Member • Posts: 139

Awesome shots! I love the one with the lightning. What city is that?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads