Any Flash with the AF assist beam?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Mariux Regular Member • Posts: 141
Any Flash with the AF assist beam?

So with the new system the old AF beam's on flash do not work. So is there a flash that use the new tech? The AF beam for what I shoot which is nightclubs is 50/50

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,739
Re: Any Flash with the AF assist beam?

Mariux wrote:

So with the new system the old AF beam's on flash do not work. So is there a flash that use the new tech? The AF beam for what I shoot which is nightclubs is 50/50

No, currently there are no flashes with AF assist beam. Your only option is an external beam controlled automatically by the camera which can be fixed to the side of the flash so that the light is not blocked by your left hand.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
OP Mariux Regular Member • Posts: 141

Where can I get that beam?

olyflyer

Mariux wrote:

I sent you a PM.

Nikon Z7
darchon New Member • Posts: 5

olyflyer wrote:

Mariux wrote:

I sent you a PM.

i just got the nikon z6 myself and using the factory firmware, low light AF was absolutely appalling. but after fw 2.01, seems a whole lot better. one of the things i've been reading is that apparently mirrorless CANNOT see infrared light but wanted to put it to the test. i tested this in complete darkness and much to my surprise, it CAN detect and focus on infrared light generated by my flashpoint/godox zoom li-ion manual light.

olyflyer

darchon wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Mariux wrote:

I sent you a PM.

i just got the nikon z6 myself and using the factory firmware, low light AF was absolutely appalling. but after fw 2.01, seems a whole lot better. one of the things i've been reading is that apparently mirrorless CANNOT see infrared light but wanted to put it to the test. i tested this in complete darkness and much to my surprise, it CAN detect and focus on infrared light generated by my flashpoint/godox zoom li-ion manual light.

There is no focus assist with infrared light. Period.

Infrared light is invisible for you and is used in TV remotes and similar. The camera can indeed see infrared light but it can not be used as focus assist unless it is extremely powerful, and even so the AF would be inaccurate, unless it is compensated for. Night vision video surveillance uses IR light to light up the scene. Infrared is seen as white light by the camera. Just hold your TV remote in front of the lens in a dark room, look into the EVF and you should see it flashing white. However, it is far too weak to be usable for AF assist, which you can check if you turn the TV remote towards a wall in the same room. The camera will not be able to see the flashing in that case.

All our flashes use VISIBLE red light. It is clear that the camera, even a mirrorless camera, can see and register visible red but it is said that the AF would not be accurate with that, which is why all camera manufacturers avoid the use of it, and which is why the built in AF assist LED is also green or white in some cameras.

Can you manually turn on the red AF assist light of the Godox? I never heard that to be possible with any flash.

Nikon Z7
darchon New Member • Posts: 5

my bad, you're right, the flash uses visible red light not infrared. on my dslr using a godox ttl flash, the af assist light comes on automatically but not for the z6 so why won't the z6 trigger the af assist light in the flash? do you think the camera itself isn't triggering it or that the flash isn't equipped to understand the z6?

yes, the godox/flashpoint manual lights (not the ttl ones) have a button to turn on the visible red af assist light.

OP Mariux Regular Member • Posts: 141

darchon wrote:

my bad, you're right, the flash uses visible red light not infrared. on my dslr using a godox ttl flash, the af assist light comes on automatically but not for the z6 so why won't the z6 trigger the af assist light in the flash? do you think the camera itself isn't triggering it or that the flash isn't equipped to understand the z6?

yes, the godox/flashpoint manual lights (not the ttl ones) have a button to turn on the visible red af assist light.

That, I don't need the Z6 to trigger infrared don't care about that, but why these cameras are not triggering the LED lights?

Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,019

Mariux wrote:

darchon wrote:

That, I don't need the Z6 to trigger infrared don't care about that, but why these cameras are not triggering the LED lights?

It's because the AF photosite's are located behind the blue and green filters. They will not see red, so no point in triggering a red LED on the flash. Note that the camera's built-in AF light is not red.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads