There's more than one reference model design

Started Sep 21, 2019 | Discussions
bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,027
There's more than one reference model design

If you look closely at the back of the camera in the various images now around, you'll see that there are clear differences between the screen surround on different instances. For example, here

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63119958

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63121603

and

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63122473?image=0

Most obviously evident, perhaps, between the screen and sensor below the OVF. On the first the screen has a bezel all the way around it, on the latter it doesn't.

bob5050

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +4 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,695
Re: There's more than one reference model design

The lack of a bezel might be an illusion based on the angle

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

OP bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,027

MightyMike wrote:

Don't think so. Look at this one

https://pentaxrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/flagship-Pentax-K-DSLR-APS-C-camera-3.jpg

bob5050

Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +4 more
MikeyBugs95
MikeyBugs95 Regular Member • Posts: 440

It does have a bezel. The lighting and angle of the pictures in the second and third links just make it difficult to see. They no doubt have more than one reference model but I think these are probably all the same one.
--
It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

MikeyBugs95's gear list:MikeyBugs95's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,695

bob5050 wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Don't think so. Look at this one

https://pentaxrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/flagship-Pentax-K-DSLR-APS-C-camera-3.jpg

bob5050

Enhance the image, the bezel is there on the right side

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

asahi man Senior Member • Posts: 1,013

This is the same body in every picture.

Souciantmag
Souciantmag Regular Member • Posts: 482

bob5050 wrote:

If you look closely at the back of the camera in the various images now around, you'll see that there are clear differences between the screen surround on different instances. For example, here

I don't see any differences in these pics. Just different viewing angles.

The body design is a mix of the K3 and KP, from what I can see.

But it appears to be the same body throughout.

Souciantmag's gear list:Souciantmag's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,631

It's the same body as Asahi Man confirms it.

The indent is probably there so that you don't accidentally touch the touch-screen when changing settings with the buttons. The eye proximiy sensor is probably there so that you don't change the settings with your nose touching the touch-screen.

I've heard about GUI changes too, which would be necessary for a better touch-screen interface.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
ogl
ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,874

I've heard about GUI changes too, which would be necessary for a better touch-screen interface.

maybe UI, not GUI?

ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited
MikeyBugs95

I think GUI fits. GUI = Graphical User Interface. GUI is just a subset of UI. You interact with your smart phone and the touchscreen of Canon cameras through a GUI.
--
It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

Pentax K-3 II Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

asahi man wrote:

Thank goodness that IR release port is on the back side of it!

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Leica Q Pentax K-30 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-S2 +1 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,631

ogl wrote:

maybe UI, not GUI?

No, I do mean GUI, refering menu system and its graphics.

The GRiii doesn't have drastically changed menus, and some reviews pointed this out.

Changing those would mean various sliders, touch to focus, swipe to see the next one, pinch to zoom out, un-pinch to zoom in, etc. And menu items should have a finger-friendly size, so one doesn't accidentally select the above or below item.

I'm also guessing that all this is firmware changeable, so we might get an early glimpse form a GRiii FW upgrade,

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
OP bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,027

asahi man wrote:

Spent some time this morning enlarging and poring over the various views. Weird what the light does, but I'll concede the point. Just one back design being shown.

bob5050

Pontoneer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,111

bob5050 wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63119958

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63121603

and

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63122473?image=0

Most obviously evident, perhaps, between the screen and sensor below the OVF. On the first the screen has a bezel all the way around it, on the latter it doesn't.

bob5050

This , by nature , isn't a reference standard camera ; it is APSC , the reference standard , from what has been produced so far has to be the 645 , everything else is inferior .

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-01 Pentax *ist D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +36 more
PentUp Contributing Member • Posts: 529

It could be a spring loaded (catch release) pop out screen with the initial trigger to open it accessed from the menu or that as yet unnamed button (in the top left corner)? The "finger divot" in the bottom right corner would be bigger once the spring catch is released. That would explain why (if it is an articulating screen) it is flush with the body.

But ... I guess we'll just have to wait and see?

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
MikeyBugs95

The only problem with this (well, the easiest problem at least) is that the plastic screen surround is too small. There's barely any surround there. It's entirely possible but highly unlikely.
--

PentUp Contributing Member • Posts: 529

MikeyBugs95 wrote:

The only problem with this (well, the easiest problem at least) is that the plastic screen surround is too small. There's barely any surround there. It's entirely possible but highly unlikely.
--

I'm not sure that there needs to be much "surround" if it initially pops out straight back (and then pivots)?

Lots of things that have a press catch releaseare well flush with the main component... But I ain't no camera engineer, so I dunno? Any camera engineers in the house care to comment??

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
MikeyBugs95

PentUp wrote:

MikeyBugs95 wrote:

--

I'm not sure that there needs to be much "surround" if it initially pops out straight back (and then pivots)?

Lots of things that have a press catch releaseare well flush with the main component... But I ain't no camera engineer, so I dunno? Any camera engineers in the house care to comment??

I'm not either but I'm an engineering student. The surround are the small plastic bezels on the edges of the actual pop-out display. On the K-70 and KP the surround is pretty large. On the K-1 it's quite small but still there. There's none of that on this camera. That alone is reason for me to suspect that the display is fixed. I personally would prefer an articulating display like the K-1, even a fold-out display would be nice, but unless I don't think we'll be getting that this time around.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads