Nikon Lens Patents

Started Sep 21, 2019 | Discussions
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Re: Nikkor Z 70-200mm f2.8

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2020105104A1/en

Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

OP Dibyendu Majumdar Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Some other additions
1

bclaff wrote:

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2020105104A1/en

Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S

Thanks Bill.

I also have some other lenses that you may want to add:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10690896B2/en - AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200049962A1/en - AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190353880A1/en - AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Re: Some other additions

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

bclaff wrote:

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2020105104A1/en

Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S

Thanks Bill.

I also have some other lenses that you may want to add:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10690896B2/en - AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200049962A1/en - AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190353880A1/en - AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

Thanks.

Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Note that the Nikon diagram is for the intermediate focal length (scenario #2)
(And actually is focused closer than infinity)

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Re: Some other additions

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

bclaff wrote:

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2020105104A1/en

Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S

Thanks Bill.

I also have some other lenses that you may want to add:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10690896B2/en - AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200049962A1/en - AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190353880A1/en - AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Re: Some other additions

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

bclaff wrote:

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2020105104A1/en

Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S

Thanks Bill.

I also have some other lenses that you may want to add:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10690896B2/en - AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200049962A1/en - AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190353880A1/en - AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

And finally ...

Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

Thanks agin.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Enginel Contributing Member • Posts: 793
Re: Some other additions

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10690896B2/en - AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Finally, a 18-55 one! Thanks. (Thought not "classic" one as I hoped)

 Enginel's gear list:Enginel's gear list
Pentax Q Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
18-55mm lenses

Enginel wrote:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10690896B2/en - AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Finally, a 18-55 one! Thanks. (Thought not "classic" one as I hoped)

By "classic" do you mean the first of these four?

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Enginel Contributing Member • Posts: 793
Re: 18-55mm lenses

bclaff wrote:

By "classic" do you mean the first of these four?

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II

yup... the ones which are front-focusing. I guess VR and non-VR variant use same optical formula

 Enginel's gear list:Enginel's gear list
Pentax Q Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Re: 18-55mm lenses

Enginel wrote:

bclaff wrote:

By "classic" do you mean the first of these four?

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II

yup... the ones which are front-focusing. I guess VR and non-VR variant use same optical formula

Not sure what you mean by "front focusing" but all four have distinct optical prescriptions:

The first two being the most closely related.

Here's the Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Re: Z 50-250mm DX

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2020105107A1/en

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_dx_50-250mmf45-63_vr/spec.htm

Thanks. Looks promising.
The "retractable-lens mechanism" makes it harder to match the right patent example to the lens.

Example 1; not published yet.

Nikon Nikkor Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Re: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Enginel Contributing Member • Posts: 793
Re: 18-55mm lenses

I meant "front focusing" in sense front element is used to focus, as I heard phrase "front focusing Tessar" before. These older 18-55 are curious in a sense that they can be used as a 16 mm lens on a mirrorless body with shorter than usual lens adapter.

 Enginel's gear list:Enginel's gear list
Pentax Q Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Re: 18-55mm lenses

Enginel wrote:

I meant "front focusing" in sense front element is used to focus, as I heard phrase "front focusing Tessar" before. These older 18-55 are curious in a sense that they can be used as a 16 mm lens on a mirrorless body with shorter than usual lens adapter.

Perhaps you don't literally mean the front element but rather a lens group forward of the aperture stop.
For example (Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR):

G3 is in front of the Aperture Stop (S).

I doubt this has anything to do with the ability to use the lens in the way you describe.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Nikon Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S
2

Nikon Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

OP Dibyendu Majumdar Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: Nikon Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S

bclaff wrote:

Nikon Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S

Nice, good find!

OP Dibyendu Majumdar Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: Nikon Lens Patents

A few more additions at: https://cameragossip.github.io/nikon-lens-patents.html

  • 35-70mm f2.8 AIS
  • 105mm f2.8 micro AIS
  • 600mm f4 FL-E
  • 800mm f5.6 FL-E
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,485
Re: Nikon Lens Patents

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

A few more additions at: https://cameragossip.github.io/nikon-lens-patents.html

  • 35-70mm f2.8 AIS

Really? The only entry I see is Nikon AI Zoom-Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8S.
And the patent next to it (US 4806000A) is all 28.8-83.3mm f/3.5-4.0 examples.

  • 105mm f2.8 micro AIS

This looks like Tale 72 (which I think you wrongly identify as the AF-D lens).
I have this already as a different (perhaps identical) patent.

Nikon AI AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8S

OK, yours looks like the AI-S that's not AF.
Looking for an authoritative diagram.

  • 600mm f4 FL-E

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4E FL ED VR

  • 800mm f5.6 FL-E

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

OP Dibyendu Majumdar Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: Nikon Lens Patents

bclaff wrote:

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

A few more additions at: https://cameragossip.github.io/nikon-lens-patents.html

  • 35-70mm f2.8 AIS

Really? The only entry I see is Nikon AI Zoom-Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8S.
And the patent next to it (US 4806000A) is all 28.8-83.3mm f/3.5-4.0 examples.

Indeed the text says 28-83 but the lens shown is the 35-70mm f2.8. Deliberate obfuscation? I have not yet put the formula in to check.

Update: Upon second look the formula looks close but not exactly the same as in 35-70mm f2.8 so it may not be an exact match.

  • 105mm f2.8 micro AIS

This looks like Tale 72 (which I think you wrongly identify as the AF-D lens).
I have this already as a different (perhaps identical) patent.

Nikon AI AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8S

OK, yours looks like the AI-S that's not AF.
Looking for an authoritative diagram.

The AIS version and the AF-D version seem to be very similar.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105mm-f28.htm - manual focus

The tale 72 is about the AF-D version.

I think the patents I list look correct at least visually and from inventor/timeline perspective.

  • 600mm f4 FL-E

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4E FL ED VR

  • 800mm f5.6 FL-E

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads