No Fujis seen in 2,700 miles California/ Nevada trip

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 4,852
Re: No Fujis seen in 2,700 miles California/ Nevada trip

Jerry-astro wrote:

I mean how many lenses do you REALLY need for travel?

One or zero, depending on whether you bring a camera or not 

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Sigma DP2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom +1 more
Shinyschnapper
Shinyschnapper Forum Member • Posts: 70

Jerry-astro wrote:

Shinyschnapper wrote:

I'm doing the tourist thing next week and I have put black tape on the name of camera (black XT2) so as not to stand out anymore than I do already.

Umm, I might gently suggest that covering the brand name could end up getting you more attention than simply leaving it. People may be curious as to what you're using, or more importantly, why no brand is showing (or why it's covered up).

Maybe I'm fortunate, but I very rarely get any attention or inquiries while traveling. I try not to stand out and keep a moderate sized kit that doesn't make me look like I'm a pro on assignment. Probably a good practice for travel photography in general... I mean how many lenses do you REALLY need for travel?

That's true, I guess its 50/50.  In all honesty it will probably fall off after the first day anyway.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T2
Fujifilm XF 10-24, Fujifilm XF 18-55, Fujifilm XF 27, Fujifilm XF 55-200, Fujifilm XF 60
Hellios 44m-4, Industar 50-2, Pentacon 50 1.8

Shinyschnapper's gear list:Shinyschnapper's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,699

Jerry-astro wrote:

Shinyschnapper wrote:

I'm doing the tourist thing next week and I have put black tape on the name of camera (black XT2) so as not to stand out anymore than I do already.

Umm, I might gently suggest that covering the brand name could end up getting you more attention than simply leaving it. People may be curious as to what you're using, or more importantly, why no brand is showing (or why it's covered up).

Maybe I'm fortunate, but I very rarely get any attention or inquiries while traveling. I try not to stand out and keep a moderate sized kit that doesn't make me look like I'm a pro on assignment. Probably a good practice for travel photography in general... I mean how many lenses do you REALLY need for travel?

Out at the ranch we stayed at in Jackson Hole this summer, one of the wranglers went out at about 6:30 to round up the horses. They lived on about a 600 acre pasture in the Park at night and were brought in the morning. About 7 the second wrangler when out to open the gate to the runway to the barn and headed out to help wrangle up the strays.

This was a real show as the sun rose onto the Great Teton to the West. Most everybody there showed up along the fence to document it.

I stood out since I was the only person there with a camera. Everyone else had a phone, including my wife. In first  shot I had my H1 with the 55-200. Other mornings I had my Pro2. The H1 and 55-200 generated more attention than my Pro2 with the 35.

The Pro2 35mm was used on this day.

So with any "real camera" tape over the name or not - you will stand out.  

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more
DeputyDD New Member • Posts: 13

I travel a lot and probably see a similar split of brands to match their marketshares (I too like to see what others are using).  However to your point on landscapes with people -    personally I prefer to add people travelling with me into my 'landscapes' as that is the style I shoot.

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,478

Sjak wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

I mean how many lenses do you REALLY need for travel?

One or zero, depending on whether you bring a camera or not

True that.  I guess that's why I've always favored zooms for travel.  I want the versatility that a range of focal lengths offers and the convenience of not having to bring a camera store along with me.  Faster zooms, like the 16-55, are for me ideal travel lenses.  They are extremely versatile yet have the advantage of providing some level of subject isolation and decent low light aptitude.  Perhaps having a select prime along might nicely round out a kit, depending on what you like to shoot while traveling.

My vacation travel kit is usually just the 16-55 and 10-24.  it gets a bit heavier if wildlife is on the agenda, in which case the 100-400 goes into the bag as well.  If astrophotography is possible, I might substitute the 12mm Zeiss for the 10-24.  That plus the X-H1 makes for a fairly manageable bag... not lightweight, but certainly OK for a pretty small guy to tote around.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Dr_J Junior Member • Posts: 36

I guess it's all relative and depends on where you go and what people you meet.

Earlier this year I was in Vermont at a meeting and an off-road bike ride in Green Mountains. There were about 30 of us and not everyone had a camera (many relied on just their phones). But from those who brought cameras, except 1 Canon DSLR, all of them were Fujis! I spotted two X-T2, a couple of X-T20 and a X-Pro2. It almost looked like the "If you don't have a Fuji you don't belong" thing.

Dr_J's gear list:Dr_J's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
johnnyandedgar Regular Member • Posts: 131

That's not surprising when Fuji has a low market share.

johnnyandedgar

johnnyandedgar's gear list:johnnyandedgar's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
miles500
OP miles500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,078

I forget to mention that my Fuji camera really did stand out as I got repeated enquiries from people as to whether it was a 35mm film camera.

As for the number of lenses you need for travel - for me it will be two when I get my hands on the new 16 - 80 which I shall combine with the 55-200.

To cover 16-200 focal length I had to carry three.  My most used lens by far was my 28-55, followed by the 16mm 1.4 which came in useful in the various mountainous places and for night shots in Las Vegas.  I mainly used the 55-200 at the lower end so the new 16-80 ( had it been available) would have saved an awful lot of lens changing. The 55-200 was not used that much at full stretch but was esssential for those shots which needed it - birds, animals and the like.

-- hide signature --

Miles500

miles500's gear list:miles500's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,334

I don't think the problem is that people are shooting with phones... the problem is people are VIEWING the photos on their phones. I use my fuji and iphone a lot... unless it's a low light or dof shot, it can be hard to tell which is which when viewed on a phone...

However, pull them both up on my computer and the difference is really obvious, the iphone is not even close... further still on a big 4k tv... yeah, not even close.

Want to push shadows or do some other post processing from a shot in tough conditions, yeah, not close either.

I usually do most of my serious shooting at dusk or dawn, and the iphone kind of sucks for that.

Facebook also compresses shots that can make even the best aps-c photo look washed out and grainy at times. Instagram at least seems to do a better job of not saving the photos for web display and clarity looks better.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 7artisans 35mm F1.2 Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,283
One for the good guys...

Was hiking the other day in Rocky Mountain National Park, and while shooting at one of the viewpoints with my X-H1, a pair of women asked me to take a shot of them together in front of the lake, as they proffered me a cell phone. I noticed that one of them had an X-T3 around her neck, so I offered to use that instead, which she agreed to.

So - one less cell phone "BTDT" pic in the world, LOL.

BTW, this is about the only "attention" I consistently receive for carrying a larger camera - people often ask me to use their cell phone to get a shot of them in front of whatever. Presumably they assume that since I have a "real" camera I must know how to shoot (LOL). Other than that, people seem to not really care if I'm carrying a camera, but then I normally don't shoot street.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,576

johnnyandedgar wrote:

That’s just one part of the story. At school functions that I attend with hundreds of parents, sometimes as many as 700-800 people, I am the only one with a real camera. It used to shock me, but it no longer does. So, Fuji has 100% market share of my events!

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 3,058

lewiedude2 wrote:

johnnyandedgar wrote:

That’s just one part of the story. At school functions that I attend with hundreds of parents, sometimes as many as 700-800 people, I am the only one with a real camera. It used to shock me, but it no longer does. So, Fuji has 100% market share of my events!

This is my experience too (though my daughter's school is a bit smaller) - very few real cameras.

At her Year 10 (end of middle school in the US??? whatever you have when you're 15 or 16) graduation I got a couple of reasonable inside shots with a Nikon D700 and 300mm lens. Even the full frame struggled with the light and the long lens was needed given distance to the stage. I did wonder at the people near me with their phones and what kind of shots they were getting.

I also got some decent shots outside. Decent enough that while I am definitely no portrait photographer, my daughter and her friends want me at her Year 12 formal based on photos from Year 10 - they obviously beat the other parents' phone photos. Unfortunately I don't have the D700 anymore, but hopefully can do something decent with my X-T1 🙂

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +6 more
Canyongazer Regular Member • Posts: 316

I've seen an X100S in London at the Victoria and Albert.  Australian fellow w/ camera and five batteries...smart !                                                                                                                       On a different trip to England three years later spotted a touring Englishman with an X Pro 1 in Cornwall.

Cumulative four or five months in Europe spread over about 6 years and that's all I can recall.

Canyongazer's gear list:Canyongazer's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2
BillGarrett Forum Member • Posts: 58

hlc0512 wrote:

I live in the Bay Area. I've seen several Fujis around here and while hiking near Tahoe.

Haha, if it was last weekend you may have seen mine.

While I can't say I *never* see a Fuji in the field, it is fairly rare. The last I recall was a year ago while hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. That Fuji owner and I had a nice little chat about how we chose Fuji from among the many compelling systems on the market. Of APS-C ILCs I see in the field, Sony A6xxx series is far-and-away the most common.

BillGarrett's gear list:BillGarrett's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
ttusteveo Regular Member • Posts: 262
Just returned from CA/NV

I just returned from a trip to Sequoia and Yosemite parks, and like others I usually pay attention to what cameras other people are shooting with.

Overall, I saw what I expected to.  Excluding the smart phone, there were many cheap Nikon and Canon APS-C kits, followed by higher end Nikon and Canon bodies (e.g. D850s and D500s).  After that a decent selection but markedly fewer Sony cameras.  I saw a handful of Olympus cameras, and only two others with Fujis.

I was surprised to see more Olympus than Fuji cameras.   At this time of year, there were by percentage a large number of European tourists.  I think American families make this trip in July and August before school in the US starts.

I do see Fuji in the wild, but it's rare.

ttusteveo's gear list:ttusteveo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro
Chris Dubea
Chris Dubea Senior Member • Posts: 1,823

Other than me, I saw two other Fuji's on Thursday night at the Griffith Observatory.

-- hide signature --

Chris

Chris Dubea's gear list:Chris Dubea's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
dc_tonk Regular Member • Posts: 244

Day trip to Philly today, only saw Nikons. Lots of phone cameras for sure.

dc_tonk's gear list:dc_tonk's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +13 more
VinceC Senior Member • Posts: 1,135
In Iceland.....

Just came back from 10 days touring in Iceland. Saw lots of camera phones, some compact cameras (!). With "proper" cameras I saw lots if Canikon DSLRs, a few Sony APSCs, but didn't see any Fujis other than mine. Must admit I wasn't looking too hard.

OTOH, the "Big jobs" made my XT3 & 20 seem really neat and dinky, and my kit was really easy to carry around. Just a pity I didn't get my pre-ordered 16-80 in time!

Tip for Iceland? Take waterproof everything. Cameras, lenses, hats, coats, trousers and boots. We had some lovely weather, but when it rains it comes horizontally with a howling gale. You learn this fast on arrival - at the airport parking lot, which must be the most exposed in the world.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Vince C

VinceC's gear list:VinceC's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads