dpreview 90d

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,454
Re: dpreview 90d
1

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I wonder if the face tracking had anything to do with that result. Would the result be the same for a bird, car, airplane...??

hey Greg

it could be settings

did you ever resolve your 7d2 focus hit issues?

so in the comments to the review - I read the following from Sharlin

Sharlin
Like in all Canon enthusiast-and-up DSLRs, if you set C.Fn II-5: AI Servo 2nd image priority to "Focus priority", you should get more shots in focus at the expense of somewhat reduced fps. Still more than 3fps unless the focusing conditions are really tricky. You should also be able to increase the fraction of sharp shots by adjusting the other AF parameters to match your use case.

do you do this?

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP +12 more
quokka Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: dpreview 90d
1

I think that the key point in the review was simply that AF in liveview was more responsive than AF as a conventional SLR. Given the relative technical maturity, I wouldn't expect additional DSLR cameras.

I view that the greatest market for a high end crop sensor is bird photography and other like focal length limited application.  The 7dii replacement may very well be a "7R" mirrorless.

 quokka's gear list:quokka's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
David M. Anglin
David M. Anglin Senior Member • Posts: 1,389
Re: dpreview 90d

MAC wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I wonder if the face tracking had anything to do with that result. Would the result be the same for a bird, car, airplane...??

hey Greg

it could be settings

did you ever resolve your 7d2 focus hit issues?

so in the comments to the review - I read the following from Sharlin

Sharlin
Like in all Canon enthusiast-and-up DSLRs, if you set C.Fn II-5: AI Servo 2nd image priority to "Focus priority", you should get more shots in focus at the expense of somewhat reduced fps. Still more than 3fps unless the focusing conditions are really tricky. You should also be able to increase the fraction of sharp shots by adjusting the other AF parameters to match your use case.

do you do this?

I was shooting a litter of 6 week old German wired hair pointers in an open field -  very active and playful.  The 90d did fine with AF for 12-14 shot bursts then started to struggle.  I finally switched to the 1dx II since the pups were so active.  I shot in single point, area AF and large area AF.  Some of the bursts were on two puppies going at each other and some with up to 4 puppies in a brawl.  I do have the settings for AF tight because I don’t want it to fire unless it has focus.  Same as my 1dx II.

I was shooting , not trying to thoroughly test so I could not take time to troubleshoot.  Puppies have bursts of energy and then go to sleep.  I was surprised they lasted as long as they did.

 David M. Anglin's gear list:David M. Anglin's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874
Re: dpreview 90d

Yes this is exactly what I do and it helps but doesn’t totally solve the problem. It sounds like it might still be an issue with the 90. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on one soon to try it out. I know that at 10 FPS there isn’t a whole lot of time for sampling while the mirror is down but somehow Canon found a way to make it work with the 1dx2. I had hoped that the 90d would be an improvement over the 7d mk2 in this area.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874
Re: dpreview 90d
2

The only way that will be possible is if Canon can figure out how to solve the hunting issues with really long glass on their mirrorless cameras. Also they need to improve the interface and battery life otherwise a 7dr wouldn’t be a viable product for bird photography.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Kevin Coppalotti Veteran Member • Posts: 9,411
Panning?
3

So any tests panning ducks, planes, trains , automobiles, Ducati Panigale V4.?
looks to me the focus test in the review was a half baked attempt.

Why can't they get a pro sports action shooter with some tele lenses to do that part of the test?

-- hide signature --
DavidArmenPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 349
Re: dpreview 90d
1

MAC wrote:

TPatS wrote:

Am slightly dissapointed that they say the autofocus can't completely keep up at 10fps in the viewfinder. But i will also take this with a grain of salt as in the 80D review they said the same thing but user reports and other reviews say that af tracking performance was fine.

80d wasn't 10 fps

I believe their review

That’s not what he meant. He said that when the 80D came out, the review said that its 7fps was too fast for its auto focus to keep up.

 DavidArmenPhoto's gear list:DavidArmenPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
DavidArmenPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 349
Re: Panning?
6

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

So any tests panning ducks, planes, trains , automobiles, Ducati Panigale V4.?
looks to me the focus test in the review was a half baked attempt.

Why can't they get a pro sports action shooter with some tele lenses to do that part of the test?

This is exactly the reason many reputable camera reviewers completely stopped conducting/publishing camera auto focus tests. They understand that no test will equal to real world. So take DP review’s very quick and flimsy auto focus test with a very large grain of salt.

 DavidArmenPhoto's gear list:DavidArmenPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,454
Re: dpreview 90d

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Yes this is exactly what I do and it helps but doesn’t totally solve the problem. It sounds like it might still be an issue with the 90. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on one soon to try it out. I know that at 10 FPS there isn’t a whole lot of time for sampling while the mirror is down but somehow Canon found a way to make it work with the 1dx2. I had hoped that the 90d would be an improvement over the 7d mk2 in this area.

yeah, let us know

your report is the acid test

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP +12 more
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,346
Re: dpreview 90d

BirdShooter7 wrote:

The only way that will be possible is if Canon can figure out how to solve the hunting issues with really long glass on their mirrorless cameras. Also they need to improve the interface and battery life otherwise a 7dr wouldn’t be a viable product for bird photography.

POTN forum has a review from someone using the 90D with 600mmII with 1.4TC. According to him zone-af in live view is "magical" with near 100% hitrate with flying birds, while AF through the viewfinder on the 90D is far less successfull. It's only one report, but it is in line with the numerous sounds about the M6mkII beating the 90D at AF with ease. It seems that Canon might have its new DPAF ready for prime time. Interesting will be the EOS-R firmware update that is very shortly due. It may tell us something about whether Canon is ready to make the full switch to mirrorless, in which case the 1DXIII might even be the last Canon DSLR of importance...

 Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 +4 more
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874
Re: dpreview 90d
1

How in the world is he using live view to shoot flying birds with a 90d and 600mm f/4?

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Kevin Coppalotti Veteran Member • Posts: 9,411
M6 2 blackout ?
1

If (say) you are panning with the M62 , does the EVF blackout between burst shots?
if so how do you keep the focus square on the same spot while panning?
I thought this problem came up at the canon launch, - the guys said they preferred the 90D for action shots?

-- hide signature --
Kevin Coppalotti Veteran Member • Posts: 9,411
Re: dpreview 90d

BirdShooter7 wrote:

How in the world is he using live view to shoot flying birds with a 90d and 600mm f/4?

what he said...lol

-- hide signature --
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,454
Re: dpreview 90d

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

How in the world is he using live view to shoot flying birds with a 90d and 600mm f/4?

what he said...lol

touch the bird on the lcd and let it track?

-- hide signature --
 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP +12 more
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,346
Re: dpreview 90d

MAC wrote:

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

How in the world is he using live view to shoot flying birds with a 90d and 600mm f/4?

what he said...lol

touch the bird on the lcd and let it track?

Yes, zone tracking, and it seems that the 90D does it very well

 Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 +4 more
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874
Re: dpreview 90d
1

When is that really possible with flying birds? Seems to me like I’m constantly having to swing the camera around to keep the bird in the field of view.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

fredlord Senior Member • Posts: 2,804
Re: dpreview 90d
2

BirdShooter7 wrote:

When is that really possible with flying birds? Seems to me like I’m constantly having to swing the camera around to keep the bird in the field of view.

The only scenario I can imagine is if you were using a video tripod head with a handle. There are also styli that can be used to tap the screen. I know it would be very difficult to be terribly precise for me to tap a bird in flight on the LCD screen. It sounds like a whole new method of bird photography.

Perhaps we should all start working on this new technique since DSLR cameras are in the twilight of their existence.

It would mean we would be "chimping" virtually all the time.

-- hide signature --

Fred Lord

 fredlord's gear list:fredlord's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +8 more
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,460
Re: dpreview 90d
3

MAC wrote:

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

How in the world is he using live view to shoot flying birds with a 90d and 600mm f/4?

what he said...lol

touch the bird on the lcd and let it track?

The difficulty of tracking active subjects starts with just keeping them in the viewfinder long enough to SEE them in it.

Many of these niche wildlife photography situations are really much, much more complicated than people who have never done them can imagine.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,460
Re: M6 2 blackout ?

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

If (say) you are panning with the M62 , does the EVF blackout between burst shots?
if so how do you keep the focus square on the same spot while panning?
I thought this problem came up at the canon launch, - the guys said they preferred the 90D for action shots?

Blackout is a good thing, I think, if the mechanical shutter is used. If there is no blackout, the electronic display must repeat previous frames to fill in the times when the shutter blades covered the sensor, giving even more sense of delay.

We evolved to make judgements running through forests with big trees next to us blocking out or predators or prey. What good would it be if, while a tree was blocking them, the retina maintained the last seen image and location of them, as if they stopped or slowed down? Blackout is a two-edged sword. The only time a lack of blackout is good is when the sensor/display scanning synchronization never stops, with a fully electronic rolling shutter, which introduces possible artifacts of its own.

Sharlin
Sharlin Contributing Member • Posts: 679
Re: dpreview 90d

fredlord wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

When is that really possible with flying birds? Seems to me like I’m constantly having to swing the camera around to keep the bird in the field of view.

The only scenario I can imagine is if you were using a video tripod head with a handle. There are also styli that can be used to tap the screen. I know it would be very difficult to be terribly precise for me to tap a bird in flight on the LCD screen. It sounds like a whole new method of bird photography.

I doubt there's even a need to tap. Just let the camera pick the subject.

 Sharlin's gear list:Sharlin's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads