RX10 Wide angle adapter?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
posnera Forum Member • Posts: 75
RX10 Wide angle adapter?

I'm currently using a Nex-5N, ready to upgrade.

I was leaning towards getting a 6400.  I don't have a huge amount invested in APS C lenses (kit lens, 55-210, 16mm).  I would get the 18-135 as the kit lens and add the 10-18.  When I get a chance to travel, I really liked wide angle landscapes.

So now the RX10 is looking very interesting.  For day to day, home, kids, etc, it should be versatile enough to do just about everything without needing to change lenses and should cost about the same.  The missing piece is the limited wide end.

Is there a lens adapter of decent quality that can widen the focal length?

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Darwinrox Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: RX10 Wide angle adapter?

I looked into this and couldn't find a workable solution (without lots of compromises in IQ, vignetting etc).

One alternative is stitching multiple shots, which is what I plan to try if I want to go wider on the RX10M4.

Darwinrox's gear list:Darwinrox's gear list
Sony a7R II +1 more
OP posnera Forum Member • Posts: 75

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion.

If I go with the RX10, maybe I'll just get a good wide angle prime for the NEX-5N and keep that separate.  It should do nicely for landscapes.

edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 6,468

posnera wrote:

I'm currently using a Nex-5N, ready to upgrade.

I was leaning towards getting a 6400. I don't have a huge amount invested in APS C lenses (kit lens, 55-210, 16mm). I would get the 18-135 as the kit lens and add the 10-18. When I get a chance to travel, I really liked wide angle landscapes.

So now the RX10 is looking very interesting. For day to day, home, kids, etc, it should be versatile enough to do just about everything without needing to change lenses and should cost about the same. The missing piece is the limited wide end.

Is there a lens adapter of decent quality that can widen the focal length?

There is one wideangle extender that works: the Sony VCL-DEH08R. It gives 0.8x the focal length and superb results - as good as the original lens.

BUT it has a major drawback; it was developed as an accessory for the DSC-R1 APS-C camera to which it mounted with an under-camera adapter plate that bolted to the tripod mount of the camera and picked up on the rear of the fixed part of the zoom lens barrel for location. mounted on this plate was a bayonet mount surrounding the nose of the lens and the extender clicked onto the front of this.

I made a replacement plate to fit the RX10 by 3D printing, and fitted the original adapter's bayonet to that. See a similar one in this image...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=eYdoaP7m&id=67E7E991368372CBEA37CB1AEC4842834B520A47&thid=OIP.eYdoaP7mDCEU_flwVv6KUQHaEM&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2f4.img-dpreview.com%2ffiles%2fp%2fTS560x560%7eforums%2f56963963%2f68faf81a16654eed84b4b015ca2565b4&exph=317&expw=560&q=vcl-deh08r&simid=608051416996578454&selectedIndex=0&qpvt=vcl-deh08r&ajaxhist=0

images and details of my version are in this post...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56756605

The extender lens is so heavy that machining the bayonet ears off it and gluing it to a suitable threaded step-down ring to mount directly on the extending part of the lens barrel would be suicide. although I have done it.

It gives 24 x 0.8 = 19.2mm equivalent focal length and just a touch of pincushion distortion that any good photo-developer program can correct with a couple of clicks. The is no loss of sharpness at all an no colour fringing.

if you are mechanically minded a simple adapter is not a great problem to fabricate.

the second drawback is that they are astonishingly expensive on the secondhand market.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads