A7iii vs A7Riii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
AshleyMateoLeeRoy Forum Member • Posts: 77
A7iii vs A7Riii

I am leaning towards getting the a7iii but the a7Riii is coming down on price.  Which do you recommend and what's the biggest difference in the two?

SafariBob
SafariBob Contributing Member • Posts: 835
Re: A7iii vs A7Riii

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

I am leaning towards getting the a7iii but the a7Riii is coming down on price. Which do you recommend and what's the biggest difference in the two?

Resolution. With today’s used prices, don’t see any reason to get the a73 apart from video.

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
QuietOC
QuietOC Senior Member • Posts: 3,419

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

I am leaning towards getting the a7iii but the a7Riii is coming down on price. Which do you recommend and what's the biggest difference in the two?

The A7III has the superior AF system (phase-detect at f/11 instead of f/8, more points, wider coverage.) The A7III has less noise at high ISO. The A7III has much better full-frame video quality.

The R's are niche models. I don't like their aliasing. The RIII was a small update to the RII: larger battery, EVF, joystick.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +134 more
OP AshleyMateoLeeRoy Forum Member • Posts: 77

SafariBob wrote:

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

Resolution. With today’s used prices, don’t see any reason to get the a73 apart from video.

I get nervous buying a used camera.  Would prefer to buy new.

OP AshleyMateoLeeRoy Forum Member • Posts: 77

QuietOC wrote:

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

The A7III has the superior AF system (phase-detect at f/11 instead of f/8, more points, wider coverage.) The A7III has less noise at high ISO. The A7III has much better full-frame video quality.

The R's are niche models. I don't like their aliasing. The RIII was a small update to the RII: larger battery, EVF, joystick.

Gotcha.  Sounds like the A7III is a better pick then.  Thanks!!

DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,834

QuietOC wrote:

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

I agree with your post, but you also forgot that the RIII also has two card slots vs the RII

I kept my a7rii, and purchased the a7iii as my primary general use camera.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
SafariBob
SafariBob Contributing Member • Posts: 835

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

I get nervous buying a used camera. Would prefer to buy new.

I see.

Well, judging by amazon, the r3 is 500 bucks more. Definitely worth it, unless video. But buying new, personally, I would opt for the R4 at 3500. The r3 can be had used for about 1700, if you can chop off a third it seems worth it.

i would definitely not choose the a7iii for autofocus reasons unless you have read the reviews and absolutely sure it’s worth it to you. The difference seems only noticeable in very dark conditions.

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
jae_buckley New Member • Posts: 17

I'm in the same boat with this.  Considering the switch over from Canon.  I mainly do wedding and event photography but also a fair bit of travel and landscape stuff as well.  Don't know whether to go for the A7iii for the AF or ARiii for the resolution.  Will probably wait and see what the specs on the Canon RS.

LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,279

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

Well, thebiggest difference between the two is the letter "R"   

Next is the resolution

the number if custom buttons

better EVF differences

I bet there are YouTube videos you can find on this

Just Another Photog Regular Member • Posts: 271

There are about 50 threads on this. Do a search for your question

Just Another Photog's gear list:Just Another Photog's gear list
Olympus C-2000 Zoom Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter +9 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,279

Just Another Photog wrote:

Why do you think I asked the question?

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,620
A7iii plus A7Riii

jae_buckley wrote:

I'm in the same boat with this. Considering the switch over from Canon. I mainly do wedding and event photography but also a fair bit of travel and landscape stuff as well. Don't know whether to go for the A7iii for the AF or ARiii for the resolution. Will probably wait and see what the specs on the Canon RS.

I, too, shoot events (mainly corporate), and my a7III and a7RIII both AF really well in dim conditions with f1.4 & f1.8 primes. If there's a difference, I haven't noticed it yet, but I've only used them at about 6-8 events so far. One thing I like about the a7RIII is the ability to shoot in crop mode and still get 18MP files (which is really all I need). This lets me use my 35mm prime also as a 50mm or my 85mm prime also as a 130mm. I also shoot with a Panasonic GX9 & Olympus 12mm f2 prime around my neck, and with these three cameras I get:

24mm, 35mm, 50mm & 85mm

or

24mm, 35mm, 85mm & 130mm

yielding files of 18MP, 20MP, 24MP and 42MP. This has allowed me to work largely without flash of late. With this setup, I really don't need a zoom for anything other than grip & grins, and for that my Panasonic GX8 & 12-35/2.8 with flash is standing by.

All of these files are downsized to 18MP for delivery, since even that's way more than my clients need for their online campaigns. Some of my clients are now accepting just 2048px files custom-sharpened for crisp online display. If they need larger files for print, they know I can provide them on request.

Final thought: If you're an event pro, you really should be working with at least two bodies, and the a7III + a7RIII combo provides a lot of flexibility. I got mine refurbished (like new) for $1500 & $2000, but prices seem higher now.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +42 more
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,620

QuietOC wrote:

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

Whether these improvements are "small" is a matter of highly subjective judgement. I find the joystick (and, to a lesser extent - because the implementation is pretty lousy - touch AF on the rear screen) makes AF much easier to use. Also, the RIII shoots twice as fast as the RII. 5fps on the RII isn't quite as fast as I like for capturing speakers' facial expressions with eyes open and mouths closed.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +42 more
Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,164

QuietOC wrote:

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

Far superior??? Sure it has more coverage but speed wise the AF is the same. Only when it was released there was a confusion with people thinking it had the same AF as the A9.
The ISO is equivalent if you downsize to 24MP so no advantage for photo. For Video it is indeed cleaner.
Now the A7R3 has far better EVF with higher resolution and refresh rate and of course the resolution and Pixel Shift as well.

The R's are niche models. I don't like their aliasing.

Aliasing issues are rare and I shoot it ALL the time for my work. But the amount of detail and cropping capabilities of the R3 are far superior but you fail to mention that.

The RIII was a small update to the RII:

WOW this couldnt be farther from the truth. The R3 was a HUGE upgrade from the R2:

5FPS shooting vs 10FPS shooting on the R3

MUCH better AF system wich also works much better for adapted lenses than the R2

There was a small increase in IQ (I had both and tested this)

Pixel Shift

Dual Cards

Bigger battery

Better FF 4k video quality

Much better tracking with Eye AF (and no need for holding a button). It also works at a farther distance and at lower light levels.

Much bigger buffer and more importantly UHS-ii card support that allows you to keep shooting much longer where the R2 will freeze trying to review photos.
Joystick

Better placement of video record button

USB Type-C and Flash Sync ports
My Menu options in the menu

Higher Res EVF

Touch LCD
The camera is a lot quicker to react where the R2 felt sluggish at times.

Not exactly what I would call "small update"

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN +3 more
EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,835

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

Resolution is really the main difference. There are other differences but they aren't that important. So the main question to answer is: do you need 42 megapixels rather than 24?

24MP is good enough for just about everything people normally do with their photos, like post them online and make prints, even rather large prints. Unless you intend to do very severe cropping (wildlife?), or need to make 8 feet wide prints or something like that, you may not need the extra resolution.

If you do need 42MP, keep in mind the cost for bigger SD cards, more storage for your computer, and be sure you have a computer good enough to post process them. Working with 42MP can be frustrating if you're doing it on an older laptop or something like that.

So yeah, the A7r III is coming down in price, but the price difference could buy you a nice lens like the 85/1.8. A lens that lets you shoot different types of photos will likely make a much, much bigger difference to your photography than more pixels in the files.

bob13bob Contributing Member • Posts: 954

a73 is 1/3 rrd stop.more light eficient sensor. much better low light video and lowmlight video af. check comparison video on that.

heres a good video, but is done on then previous firmwares. a73 has clear advantage in af. o consider workong eye af as person approaches at walking sppeeds mandatory; extemely useful.

see between the 3 best bodies out right now. d850 and a73 and a7r3

https://youtu.be/ClBBuOHbuF8?t=265

personally, af is way more important than 20mp.more res because i take pics mostly of people.

look at your keeper rates.  i toss more pics on af

-- hide signature --

my equipment: a7iii. NATIVE: sony 50 1.8. samyang 35 2.8. ADAPTED: sigma mc11 adapter. canon 85mm 1.8. sigma (canon) 12-24 4-5.6. canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is ii.

NatureBX Regular Member • Posts: 236

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

AshleyMateoLeeRoy wrote:

Gotcha. Sounds like the A7III is a better pick then. Thanks!!

A7riii has better EVF and higher resolution which allow you to crop or use apsc model which is same like 2 in 1 camera. A7iii feel a little cheaper to hold and doesn’t come with battery charger. With a7riii on sale, it would only be $200-$300 more

NatureBX's gear list:NatureBX's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +2 more
nebulla Senior Member • Posts: 1,472

The truth is that the digital cameras being produced today are incredibly good, and the effective difference between 24 and 51 megapixels is usually, in practice, imperceivable, unless of course you crop or zoom in to where you can only see a small fraction of the full picture.

nebulla's gear list:nebulla's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Just Another Photog Regular Member • Posts: 271

LenRivers wrote:

Just Another Photog wrote:

Why do you think I asked the question?

I don't know why you would ask a question that has had more than 50 threads already addressing it. Go to YouTube. There is likely 100 videos on the subject.

My comment was meant to be helpful, your reply was snarky. None of us can make this decision for you. You have to decide on your own. Go look at sample images of the type of photos you take. Read opinions on websites where they specialize in comparing cameras, there are tons to research without asking the same lame question that has been asked too many times.

I shot with an A7 III for a couple of weeks before I recognized I wanted the additional pixels of the A7R III. I traded it back in and did the upgrade.

I've watched customers go into a camera store looking for the best camera available. I've watched them spend $10-$20K, and leave. They typically call me for assistance on how to use the paperweight they bought when they were use to iPhone photography.

You don't need to ask this question, the answers are all over this forum and the internet in general.

Just Another Photog's gear list:Just Another Photog's gear list
Olympus C-2000 Zoom Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter +9 more
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,834

What was the question in LenRivers's original post?

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads