Olympus working on 500mm lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 7,903
Olympus working on 500mm lens

https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-says-they-are-developing-a-new-500mm-mft-lens/

Shigemi Sugimoto from Olympus...

• In 2018 we couldn’t launch new products because of the factory relocation
  • The policy is now to announce multiple lenses every year from this year.
  • We will continue to launch cameras in three areas: entry, middle and high end level.
  • A super telephoto lens that reaches 1000mm in FF terms is under development, and it will reach 2000mm with a 2x teleconverter
-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +6 more
Felice62
Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,194
Re: Olympus working on 500mm lens

Albert Valentino wrote:

• We will continue to launch cameras in three areas: entry, middle and high end level.
  • A super telephoto lens that reaches 1000mm in FF terms is under development, and it will reach 2000mm with a 2x teleconverter

speechless.

-- hide signature --

I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
BruceRH Senior Member • Posts: 1,790

Interesting, thanks for posting!

BruceRH's gear list:BruceRH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony a7R II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II +24 more
onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,760

Nice, that's what we need.

Some "consumer" options will be nice too.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
YI M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro FastStone Photo Resizer +3 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,243

I think this is probably the 150-400 f4.5 which is 500mm with the integrated 1.25 TC (f5.6).  With the MC-20 it would give 1000mm, but unfortunately at f11.

However, it could be the 500mm f4 for which a patent was published a couple of years ago.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,005

Albert Valentino wrote:

E-M1X was released in early 2019 to basically be a test run for the new factory.  They also stated that the E-M1X introduced several new features that will be seen in future cameras.

The 12-200 lens was introduced this year and I am expecting a new lens to be announced in mid-October.  Will it be a new kit lens for the upcoming E-M5 Mkiii or something else.

The E-M5 Mkiii, a mid-level camera should be announced in mid-Oct.

The development of a 500mm lens seems to indicate that Olympus is going for the wildlife niche.

So it sounds like Olympus is slowly getting production going at the new factory and we should start seeing a one or two cameras and two or more lenses to be released every year for the next few years.

No real leak on the upcoming E-M5 Mkiii or lenses.  I would expect they will be announced at or just before  the 100th Anniversary celebration which has been announced to be Oct. 12th.    So this release Olympus has been very tight lipped.

Hopefully the big announcements during the 100th year celebration is not going to be a development announcement.  Pentax's big announcement for the Fall of 2019 is rumored to be a development announcement for a new APC-S flagship level camera.

Anyhow I will expect to see more announcements and leaks coming for Olympus leading up to the 100th anniversary celebration on Oct. 12th.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more

drj3 wrote:

I think this is probably the 150-400 f4.5 which is 500mm with the integrated 1.25 TC (f5.6). With the MC-20 it would give 1000mm, but unfortunately at f11.

However, it could be the 500mm f4 for which a patent was published a couple of years ago.

If you go to the actual Olympus announcement and not to the 43 Rumor summary it does appear to be a 500mm prime lens.

whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 2,655

DLBlack wrote:

drj3 wrote:

I think this is probably the 150-400 f4.5 which is 500mm with the integrated 1.25 TC (f5.6). With the MC-20 it would give 1000mm, but unfortunately at f11.

If you go to the actual Olympus announcement and not to the 43 Rumor summary it does appear to be a 500mm prime lens.

I'm not sure about that, nothing in the text indicates it's a prime lens and then shortly below that is an image of the 150-400 with a caption saying "Super telephoto zoom lens under development". Seems most likely that they're talking about the 150-400.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,971
Give us another PL1 !!!

Albert Valentino wrote:

It can be called something else, like an PL-SX1, but the best looking, best handling, simplest to learn, and perhaps the JPEG king of all the Olympus cameras was the first Pen Lite, the PL1.

It's what I learned on, and still keep around my office and car as an everyday camera.

PL1 Straight from the camera to Windows 10

It would be better to have the next PL1 priced $299 body and kit lens, to sell millions of them.

Once you get hooked on MFT, you'll be back for more.

Olympus needs to repeat the best little computer box that holds MFT lenses they ever made, and upgrade it with new sensor, and processing engine.

It doesn't even need a touch screen, although that would be nice.

Just a simple, basic, cheap  modern  Leica for everybody.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,490

If it approaches the 300 Pro in quality and usability a 500 prime would be welcomed by many (you know who you are). The big missing spec is aperture--at that length even f:4.5 requires a very large entry diameter but surely it should be as fast or faster than the coming superzoom with the 1.2x TC deployed.

Oly is very aware of how much sales is driven by birders and wildlife enthusiasts. A 500+E-M1X would make quite a rig.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

whumber wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

drj3 wrote:

I'm not sure about that, nothing in the text indicates it's a prime lens and then shortly below that is an image of the 150-400 with a caption saying "Super telephoto zoom lens under development". Seems most likely that they're talking about the 150-400.

You could be right but I still think it will be a 500mm prime lens.

I did like how he acknowledged that Olympus knows its strength is in being a small compact camera system and they are developing future products with this in mind.  Also acknowledge how the 7 plus IBIS gives the system an advantage since a tripod is not required.  Then again small/compact means different things to different users.  An E-M1X with a 500mm lens is smaller and more compact than the  D5 with a 1000mm lens and a tripod.

Mephistopheles* Regular Member • Posts: 313

DLBlack wrote:

I did like how he acknowledged that Olympus knows its strength is in being a small compact camera system and they are developing future products with this in mind.

Their actions have yet to match their words.  They just produced the largest and heaviest m4/3 camera yet (EM-1X); their last telephoto was the heaviest m4/3 lens ever made (300mm f4--which was also heavier than other 300m f4 lenses from canikon), and they are now set to top that next year with a much heavier lens (150-400mm).  Things are trending in the opposite direction from their asserted strengths.

-- hide signature --

My m4/3 bird, travel, and insect photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/35716495@N08/albums

Mephistopheles*'s gear list:Mephistopheles*'s gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus Tough TG-4 +4 more

Mephistopheles* wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

I did like how he acknowledged that Olympus knows its strength is in being a small compact camera system and they are developing future products with this in mind.

Their actions have yet to match their words. They just produced the largest and heaviest m4/3 camera yet (EM-1X); their last telephoto was the heaviest m4/3 lens ever made (300mm f4--which was also heavier than other 300m f4 lenses from canikon), and they are now set to top that next year with a much heavier lens (150-400mm). Things are trending in the opposite direction from their asserted strengths.

You edited out the rest of my post to suite your own opinion.

Like I said in my post you half quoted is that size is relative to the user and how they are using the camera. Some think the E-M1X with a 300mm lens and no tripod required due to 7 plus stops if IBIS is smaller than a D5 with a 600mm lens and a tripod.

I do own the E-M1X and it made my kit I carry for landscapes and wildlife smaller.  I now rarely carry a tripod because of the improved IBIS.  Also with Live ND I don't carry my set of ND filters.  So my kit is smaller and lighter when using the E-M1X.

Anyhow, Olympus executives have mention several times over the past few months that small size in an advantage and they are going to develop to to take advantage of the small size. Time will tell if this ends up being true.

Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 5,688

He also said

The PEN series has been highly acclaimed by women. The point is how to fight in the mature mirrorless market.

!!!

Peter Del

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 4,651

If the rumor website said the sun rises in the east I'd be skeptical.

Glad to see there's some content besides the pitches for memory cards and open box specials at BH.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Mephistopheles* Regular Member • Posts: 313

DLBlack wrote:

Mephistopheles* wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Their actions have yet to match their words. They just produced the largest and heaviest m4/3 camera yet (EM-1X); their last telephoto was the heaviest m4/3 lens ever made (300mm f4--which was also heavier than other 300m f4 lenses from canikon), and they are now set to top that next year with a much heavier lens (150-400mm). Things are trending in the opposite direction from their asserted strengths.

You edited out the rest of my post to suite your own opinion.

Like I said in my post you half quoted is that size is relative to the user and how they are using the camera. Some think the E-M1X with a 300mm lens and no tripod required due to 7 plus stops if IBIS is smaller than a D5 with a 600mm lens and a tripod.

I do own the E-M1X and it made my kit I carry for landscapes and wildlife smaller. I now rarely carry a tripod because of the improved IBIS. Also with Live ND I don't carry my set of ND filters. So my kit is smaller and lighter when using the E-M1X.

Anyhow, Olympus executives have mention several times over the past few months that small size in an advantage and they are going to develop to to take advantage of the small size. Time will tell if this ends up being true.

Relax.  I wasn't actually responding to the substance of your post or attacking your opinion, but just commenting on what the Oly execs were saying, so just quoted what you said they said.  Not trying to be misleading in any way.

-- hide signature --

My m4/3 bird, travel, and insect photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/35716495@N08/albums

Mephistopheles*'s gear list:Mephistopheles*'s gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus Tough TG-4 +4 more
Kiwisnap Contributing Member • Posts: 907

Interesting from a general point of view, but it is hard to think of an occasion when I would actually require such a thing.

I would prefer a 7mm FF equivalent - so 3.5mm in M43 terms, at f1.2.

Kiwisnap's gear list:Kiwisnap's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,971
The PL1 appealed to everybody

Peter Del wrote:

He also said

The PEN series has been highly acclaimed by women. The point is how to fight in the mature mirrorless market.

!!!

Peter Del

The PL1 only had a top shutter speed of 1/2000 (twice as fast as a Leica), no touch screen, a 4/3 format LCD, a 12mp sensor, and stabilization "only" good for as much as three stops.   But PL1 lovers know the PL1 delivered dynamite JPEG photographs on the factory default settings, and no Pen Lite since has quite had the same classic look of the original Pen Lite.

Today I took several shots of my office and the street outside using my M5 II and Oly 12-40 Pro, and my PL1 and the Panny 20mm f1.7 pancake.  The M5 II is a more capable camera with a better lens that makes beautiful photographs, but the some of the best shots I had today came from the PL1.

A

This is the PL1 "look" that I just can't quite get from my "better" Olympus cameras

"Oly colors" from a PL1 are reliably great

If Oly were to take the exact, same camera body as the original PL1 and stick updated internals inside (with "PL1 filter" in the picture selection) they'd sell Pen Lites to men, women, boys, girls, and everything in between.

They'd not even have to have a denim model.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
M_digicapt Senior Member • Posts: 2,343
Re: Give us another... E-PM instead...

Humansvillian wrote:

Albert Valentino wrote:

It can be called something else, like an PL-SX1, but the best looking, best handling, simplest to learn, and perhaps the JPEG king of all the Olympus cameras was the first Pen Lite, the PL1.

It's what I learned on, and still keep around my office and car as an everyday camera.

PL1 Straight from the camera to Windows 10

It would be better to have the next PL1 priced $299 body and kit lens, to sell millions of them.

Once you get hooked on MFT, you'll be back for more.

Olympus needs to repeat the best little computer box that holds MFT lenses they ever made, and upgrade it with new sensor, and processing engine.

It doesn't even need a touch screen, although that would be nice.

Just a simple, basic, cheap modern Leica for everybody.

I vote for an E-PM type body with tilt screen and ez zoom for the same $300. It would work well for vloggers too...

David5833 Senior Member • Posts: 1,141

Kiwisnap wrote:

Interesting from a general point of view, but it is hard to think of an occasion when I would actually require such a thing.

I would prefer a 7mm FF equivalent - so 3.5mm in M43 terms, at f1.2.

Apples and oranges.  You apparently aren't interested in warblers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143821723@N06/with/46460832575/

David5833's gear list:David5833's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon D7500 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads