Pentax Development Announcement

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,316
Re: Pentax Development Announcement

MightyMike wrote:

xmeda wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

What you see is just the camera back being curved in that area.

Alex

Sorry, looks just perfect for a fingernail to lift out the screen, its not like this in any other corner

Alex is right, that is just transtion between body shape and flat display. No articulating screen.

I totally disagree, why not make it symmetrical, the same on all 4 corners??? look at the higher res photos, one corner has a fingernail divot, this will be a K-1 style articulating screen and they've managed to keep it nice and small

It's just a consequence of the camera  back's shape - slightly raised where the buttons are. I'll link to the more complete picture.

And it's really tiny, you wouldn't be able to grab it without a sharp object. This kind of camera must be usable with thin gloves.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more

I would be slightly upset about the fixed LCD, but I've seen Fujifilm's announcement and I  can't stop laughing.

Alex

Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,071

Orman Hall wrote:

Proof of Life, I'll take it. That's enough for me to continue investing in Pentax lenses. The three amigos for christmas!

Exactly; this should be seen as a proof of life. Other than the pictures, there's nothing new.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Pentax K-30 Samsung NX300 +50 more
manual_focus Senior Member • Posts: 1,262
Re: And a picture!

bob5050 wrote:

miles green wrote:

I think this is a good cause for celebration!

Absolutely! I have my money set aside.

If they're showing a picture, it means it's coming sooner rather than later.

maybe... They do say the reference model is subject to change.

And what do i see:

1. a JOYSTICK!!!! OK, this means they worked on AF, which is already pretty good, if you have a Kp / K1ii and modern lens. But the joystick was missing for sure.

2. Kp / K1 style top mode dials, and a big top screen

3. Sensor under the viewfinder

To which I'll add:

4. I don't see a little seam on the top indicating a pop-up flash. it might be that this, at least currently, is following the K3ii precedent of dropping the flash in favor of an internal GPS.

5. It's not clear that the rear screen articulates.

Both those said--it's a reference model, not written in stone. And I want one <g>

bob5050

I don't see a GPS light anywhere so not sure if it has GPS.

xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,331

manual_focus wrote:

That can be displayed on top display.

-- hide signature --
 xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1s Pentax K20D +29 more
Smitty1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,936

asahi man wrote:

Kszchopstix wrote:

Sensor under view finder must mean that it uses an electronic viewfinder. Unless they have found some way using prism technology to hybridize evf and mirror of dslr technology like the Fuji film xpro2. Exciting.

Pentax had an old patent and Ricoh was refreshing it.

Maybe, maybe not...

It's an completely new developed camera.

So, normal that it needed 3 years.

What have they been doing since April of 2015?  That is when the K-3 II was officially launched.  And that was just a slightly upgraded K-3 from 2013.  So it is really a 7 year time frame from K-3 to this next body.  Why the delay in release schedule from one body to the next?

Any idea when the 85 and the 70-200 f/4 are being launched?

Also, have you heard any word in the company on an updated 16-50mm DA*?

Smitty1 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

Kszchopstix wrote:

Sensor under view finder must mean that it uses an electronic viewfinder. Unless they have found some way using prism technology to hybridize evf and mirror of dslr technology like the Fuji film xpro2. Exciting.

Maybe, maybe not...

What have they been doing since April of 2015? That is when the K-3 II was officially launched.

The K-1, K-70, KP, K-1 II, GR II, GR III, 3 Thetas, several compacts and some lenses.

Alex

MikeyBugs95
MikeyBugs95 Regular Member • Posts: 380

Smitty1 wrote:

Why the delay in release schedule from one body to the next?

Ricoh Imaging simply isn't as large as Nikon or the Canon photographic division or Sony's photographic division. They have a much smaller budget so they can't release 5 bodies and a gazillion lenses every 4 months like everybody wants them to.

2019 or later. Maybe we'll hear about it from the Anniversary event.
--
It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

MikeyBugs95's gear list:MikeyBugs95's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +12 more

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Smitty1 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

Kszchopstix wrote:

Maybe, maybe not...

What have they been doing since April of 2015? That is when the K-3 II was officially launched.

The K-1, K-70, KP, K-1 II, GR II, GR III, 3 Thetas, several compacts and some lenses.

Different development cycles.. hopefully with different teams.. for different platforms.

K-7/5/3 has been the enthusiast crop body in K mount for well over a decade, you of all people know this. Obviously, this entire conversation is strictly about the K-_ body. Please stick to the direction of the conversation and don't try to redirect it elsewhere.

A company doesn't discontinue a body without another one ready to go. They handled the K-3 release properly by having a small overlap between the outgoing K-5II and the newcomer K-3 back in the fall of 2013.

But they discontinued the K-3 II Feb of last year and this successor isn't scheduled until sometime next year to be on the market.

So, I'm wondering, What have Ricoh been doing with the K-_ series all these years of silence? If it takes 3 years to develop a new camera, this upcoming body could have launched this year. Because there was a 4 year window between it and the K-3 II if they had started right after the K-3 II launch. And even then the technology goes back years before that. It wasn't a full development schedule to go from K-3 to K-3 II.

manual_focus Senior Member • Posts: 1,262

xmeda wrote:

manual_focus wrote:

Sure, but I don't see a dedicated on/off button like K3 or K1. There is a fn button on top and the upper left button has no markings so we'll have to wait and see.  Doesn't appear to have a pop up flash so you would expect GPS, but maybe just fast WiFi?

KentG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,622

Maybe something like Minolta's film era Eye Start where it turned itself on when it detected you behind the viewfinder.

Kent Gittings

KentG's gear list:KentG's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,670

Alex Sarbu wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

xmeda wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Alex

Sorry, looks just perfect for a fingernail to lift out the screen, its not like this in any other corner

Alex is right, that is just transtion between body shape and flat display. No articulating screen.

I totally disagree, why not make it symmetrical, the same on all 4 corners??? look at the higher res photos, one corner has a fingernail divot, this will be a K-1 style articulating screen and they've managed to keep it nice and small

It's just a consequence of the camera back's shape - slightly raised where the buttons are. I'll link to the more complete picture.

And it's really tiny, you wouldn't be able to grab it without a sharp object. This kind of camera must be usable with thin gloves.

Alex

Their is nothing in the back shape of the camera that warrants that divot, in fact the divot would be counter productive from a strength point of view. Their is nothing stopping that corner from being absolutely flush just like all 3 other corners. No I don't believe its too small, however I do believe it would be harder to move with gloves on. They could implement a push-in latch release mechanism to string the screen out and then allow it to be movable.

I stand firm on my claim that the screen is articulating like the K-1 but designed to be thin and flush with the rest of the body when not being articulated. Nothing anyone has tried to offer has been in any way convincing as to why the divot is their!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

MikeyBugs95 wrote:

Smitty1 wrote:

Ricoh Imaging simply isn't as large as Nikon or the Canon photographic division or Sony's photographic division. They have a much smaller budget so they can't release 5 bodies and a gazillion lenses every 4 months like everybody wants them to.

That's a cop out and an appeal to extremes you're making.

I'm not asking for 5 bodies and gazillions of lenses every 4 months, just wondering why the single K-3 II successor is taking 5+ years to get here when asahiman claims it's a 3 year cycle.

We're well beyond 3 years and outside of the 'normal' release schedule for a body type that has a lot of support.

--
It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

True. But you don't seem to have any more insight on Pentax release schedules than I do. Maybe we should both wait for asahiman to respond (if he choses).

xmeda

manual_focus wrote:

xmeda wrote:

manual_focus wrote:

Sure, but I don't see a dedicated on/off button like K3 or K1. There is a fn button on top and the upper left button has no markings so we'll have to wait and see. Doesn't appear to have a pop up flash so you would expect GPS, but maybe just fast WiFi?

Many phones just can run GPS all the day. It can be in menu or on the additional dial on top that only has 3 options printed now, but might contain more on final body.

IS switch also disappeared in menu when they moved from K20D to K7.

-- hide signature --
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1s Pentax K20D +29 more
xmeda

MightyMike wrote:

Their is nothing in the back shape of the camera that warrants that divot, in fact the divot would be counter productive from a strength point of view. Their is nothing stopping that corner from being absolutely flush just like all 3 other corners. No I don't believe its too small, however I do believe it would be harder to move with gloves on. They could implement a push-in latch release mechanism to string the screen out and then allow it to be movable.

I stand firm on my claim that the screen is articulating like the K-1 but designed to be thin and flush with the rest of the body when not being articulated. Nothing anyone has tried to offer has been in any way convincing as to why the divot is their!

No it is not articulating screen. Deal with it. Not on the depicted body. What the final version would be only Ricoh engineers know. But all we can see now is fixed rear screen.

And you are wrong. The right top side of display also shows same transition from flat display to curved bump with buttons.

-- hide signature --
xmeda

Smitty1 wrote:

MikeyBugs95 wrote:

Smitty1 wrote:

That's a cop out and an appeal to extremes you're making.

I'm not asking for 5 bodies and gazillions of lenses every 4 months, just wondering why the single K-3 II successor is taking 5+ years to get here when asahiman claims it's a 3 year cycle.

We're well beyond 3 years and outside of the 'normal' release schedule for a body type that has a lot of support.

--

True. But you don't seem to have any more insight on Pentax release schedules than I do. Maybe we should both wait for asahiman to respond (if he choses).

Now it is sure that they wanted to dump K7/K5/K3 and replace it with KP+K1 but then they were cold-showered by customers which led to this body.

-- hide signature --

Alex Sarbu wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

xmeda wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Alex

It's just a consequence of the camera back's shape - slightly raised where the buttons are. I'll link to the more complete picture.

Sorry, this is the picture

http://www.wificommanderpentax.com/temp/new_pentax_apsc_2020_back.jpg

Alex

xmeda wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

No it is not articulating screen. Deal with it. Not on the depicted body. What the final version would be only Ricoh engineers know. But all we can see now is fixed rear screen.

And you are wrong. The right top side of display also shows same transition from flat display to curved bump with buttons.

I could make some wise crack about you vision but I figured I'd make it easier for you to see how wrong you are.

Just which of these corners has the same *divot* as the bottom right???????

Since there is only one corner with that divot/indentation/gap/fingernail grabber you come up with a name for it... why is it there????????? if not for access to an articulating screen!!!!!!!!!!! cleverly made very thin so as not to affect the aesthetic of the camera body and to not make it larger than it needs to be. what you see there is an ultra-thin bordered screen with articulating legs like the K-1 behind it!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

xmeda wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Alex

Sorry, this is the picture

http://www.wificommanderpentax.com/temp/new_pentax_apsc_2020_back.jpg

Alex

I counter your picture with mine

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

xmeda

MightyMike wrote:

oh boy... again and again..  just the angle of photo is less obvious for people with bad 3D thinking

IT IS FIXED DISPLAY, deal with it.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads