Pentax Development Announcement

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,629
I stand corrected! *nt
-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

iso rivolta Contributing Member • Posts: 561
Re: Hybrid OVF and EVF viewfinder

What are the chances the camera will have a hybrid viewfinder?

I read somewhere Pentax put in a patent for one, maybe on Pentax Forums.

This could be the reason why the top prism housing looks smaller? It would be a clever move keeping the OVF people happy at the same time as a brighter viewfinder would be possible.

The reality is that the chances are slim to have a hybrid viewfinder with such a small size camera. The viewfinder hump would be bigger, not smaller. This new camera is first and foremost a DSLR.

Nikon has a similar patent to the one Pentax has and they considered a hybrid viewfinder for 850D, but in the end decided that it's not worth doing it.

"With the current technology, while maintaining the optical viewfinder and adding the electronic viewfinder to two systems, there are some aspects that cannot be realized without sacrificing the performance of the optical viewfinder. For example, when considering where to put the electronic viewfinder function from the taking lens to the viewfinder eyepiece, if you put it in the middle of the optical path, the optical performance will be degraded, and it will be inserted from outside the optical path the problem is that the camera body becomes larger." https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/1081951.html

Re: Pentax Development Announcement

bob5050 wrote:

Mistral75 wrote:

English version:

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2019/20190920_027963.html

Well that's interesting--contains the following note "The designs and specifications are identical to those first announced publicly about the camera's development".

Anyone have a nomination for the document/announcement they're referencing?

bob5050

This is the normal formulation from Ricoh, meaning that this is the first public announcement of the camera and the final camera is planned to have identical design and specifications, but subjected to change without notice.

They wrote the same when they announced the development of Ricoh GR III and the final camera had exactly the same final shape and specifications. http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2018/20180925_026135.html

Pontoneer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
Re: What to be complained then ?

Heliar wrote:

phoenix15 wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Google Translate version:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.ricoh-imaging.co.jp%2Frim_info%2F2019%2F20190920_027962.html

Original Japanese version:

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info/2019/20190920_027962.html

● Digital SLR camera

Product name: TBD

・ The highest model of our K-mount digital SLR camera with APS-C size image sensor
・ Release date: Under development targeting 2020
・ Price: TBD

* The specifications and appearance of the above products are not final.

Joystick is nice. And if it is touchscreen, then AF mechanism is improved.
Next year is near. And I remember someone complaining that Ricoh doesnt commit to the pentax. Especially those who wish 100 years anniv to be something special.

What to be complain this time ? Maybe is:
"It remain to be seen, if the sensor is as good as or better than that pentax K-5 IIs. I will not upgrade with the sensor noiser than 16 Mpx."

Hate to be 'that guy', but a (fixed) touchscreen and AF-joystick aren't really flagship-level features.

I'm happy that Ricoh decided to finally show us "something", but I'll refrain from excitement until I see actual specs.

I’m happy to see Pentax still announcing any new products.

Since I’ve stepped sideways in my organisation ( office politics) and no longer do photography for my living , I’m now an enthusiastic amateur , so not sure that I ‘need’ to upgrade from my current K-1/K-3/K-01 cameras ; what would be significant to me would be that the new camera still uses the D-Li90 batteries common to all my existing bodies .

I will watch with interest and might consider this camera - then I could give my K-3 ( which is still a very good camera ) to my daughter ( who has her K-10D and one of my old *istD bodies ) .

For me , a K-1 successor would be of more interest , but , really , my current cameras are more than good enough and any changes would just be self indulgence .

Perhaps in 5 years or so when I retire I’ll splash out , again .

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II +39 more

jim yeats wrote:

Big mistake if it has a fixed screen. Surely this isn't the case.

Maybe it has a very flush surface design for a tilting screen! Look carefully around the screen frame! Maybe the unmarked button in the top left corner is making the screen come out.

Dan Paris Contributing Member • Posts: 618

I guess  we'll get something like  :

- K3-like : body, GPS, buffer and fps, no flash

- K-1 AF module with tweaked algorithms

- new Sony 26 MP sensor with accelerator unit

- fixed touchscreen

nice, but not game-changing in today's market.

The real question is whether we'll get more than that...

Dan Paris's gear list:Dan Paris's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +7 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,253
Re: It's a DSLR.

flektogon wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

From one of the pictures it looks like its missing the mirror altogether

No; the mirror can clearly be seen.

And they've very clearly calling it a DSLR.

Alex

As I understand this hybrid VF, during the time when mirror is up, the image taken (and processed) from the sensor is projected into OVF. So, in the burst mode the mirror may remain all the time up and you would see electronic version of the image.

Right... and of course, a hybrid viewfinder would still require a mirror for the OVF mode.

OTOH I see no indication this camera will have a hybrid viewfinder. There's the patent, but that's all...

I'm not against the idea, as long as the optical part is at least as good as on the non-hybrid version.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,125
Re: And a picture!

Alex Sarbu wrote:

I would like to add that we can't know everything possible about a camera unless we're using it for some time; perhaps not even then.

Indeed. I'm still learning things about my K3.

I also worry about the very tilted standard of proof applied. Absence of evidence can be loudly proclaimed as evidence of absence, but no piece of good news can be welcomed without 50 pages of documentation and sworn statements--we have to know everything to express approval. It's nonsense (as you're well aware).

bob5050

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +4 more
Photodog2 Regular Member • Posts: 281

I've been telling myself that all my future camera bodies are going to be mirrorless but this has definitely turned my head! I don't shoot sports or BIF, most of my subjects are still or slow and I use manual focus 95% of the time, so better AF is not an attraction to me. However, a game changing improvement in hand held PSR would be enough to make me get one. I just hope the size and weight stays reasonable. My camera budget for 2020 had been earmarked for a Sony A7x or Nikon Zx but those boys might get pushed back to 2021 because Pentax remains my favorite.

Photodog2's gear list:Photodog2's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Sony a7 II +3 more
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,301
+ AF Screw Drive * Aperture Lever . . .

miles green wrote:

I think this is a good cause for celebration!

If they're showing a picture, it means it's coming sooner rather than later.

And what do i see:

1. a JOYSTICK!!!! OK, this means they worked on AF, which is already pretty good, if you have a Kp / K1ii and modern lens. But the joystick was missing for sure.

2. Kp / K1 stype top mode dials, and a big top screen

3. Sensor under the viewfinder

+1

4. AF Screw Drive

5. Aperture Lever

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
vietnam74 Regular Member • Posts: 179
Re: + AF Screw Drive * Aperture Lever . . .

TacticDesigns wrote:

miles green wrote:

I think this is a good cause for celebration!

If they're showing a picture, it means it's coming sooner rather than later.

And what do i see:

1. a JOYSTICK!!!! OK, this means they worked on AF, which is already pretty good, if you have a Kp / K1ii and modern lens. But the joystick was missing for sure.

2. Kp / K1 stype top mode dials, and a big top screen

3. Sensor under the viewfinder

+1

4. AF Screw Drive

5. Aperture Lever

Yup! Support old lens. 🎉

vietnam74's gear list:vietnam74's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +16 more

vietnam74 wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

4. AF Screw Drive

5. Aperture Lever

Yup! Support old lens. 🎉

Support existing lenses.

All DA lenses but one (and all lenses but two) require the aperture level. Many current lenses, including all the DA Limited primes, require screw drive AF.

Alex

Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
cport Junior Member • Posts: 25

So, in fact, Ricoh only confirmed that some high-end camera is in development. The fact which was known approx one and half year ago ... and ok, showed some pictures

cport wrote:

So, in fact, Ricoh only confirmed that some high-end camera is in development. The fact which was known approx one and half year ago ... and ok, showed some pictures

But now they have an idea when they might finish

Alex

Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,918
Re: Seems a fairly conservative iteration

Mistral75 wrote:

Richard Murdey wrote:

Oiche wrote:

Richard Murdey wrote:

A nice little camera to be sure, ideal even, but sadly for me it's missing one feature and that's a FF sensor. This is not academic criticism: I really would like a smaller, lighter K-1.

I totally understand but a smaller and lighter FF means mirrorless!

Not entirely. Every time I pick up my K-1 after using my D750 my arm goes "ugh..."

Stainless steel chassis...

The main practical difference is the D750's mirror box / front panel section is made of plastic.  Special fancy design and materials, yes, but plastic, not metal. Honestly, for the 200g saved, I'll take it. The top and back panel is mag alloy, just like the K-1. Yes it's subjective. The D600 had plastic front and back panels, and felt distinctly "meh". The D750 feels light, but still perfectly sturdy. The K-1 feels even sturdier, but not usefully so even viewed just from an aesthetics standpoint.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +8 more
Matt FG Regular Member • Posts: 130

Lots of Pentax faithful opining on how attractive this may be to them -which is all well and good.

I’d keep in mind the importance of shifting at least a little market momentum Pentax's way being an important question about this body. Albeit unanswerable till we have more info of course.

This body is likely among the last chances Pentax will have to turn heads and move market perception about the brand  what ever the specs turn out to be.

Massao Senior Member • Posts: 1,878

cport wrote:

Yes, that's pretty much but they needed to do that. Their user-base is contracting...whether the camera is released in 2020 or 2021...they would want their users to wait for it

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Pentax K-30 Samsung NX300 +49 more
GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,812

Lights Perfection wrote:

I have been patiently waiting to upgrade my still great K20D. I've had doubts and started looking at other brands. This totally made my day! I will keep the faith and keep my fingers crossed! Thank you!

Eugene

You have too much patience. I bought a k5ii to replace my k20d years ago and couldn't believe how much better it was in all aspects.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +7 more
Matt FG Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: What to be complained then ?

For better or worse the non Pentax market perception is going to turn on how competitive the AF and video is GUI will be right behind that- joystick and touch screen being  “leveling up”  features not as you say class leading.

Christian Scarlet Regular Member • Posts: 276

miles green wrote:

I believe this is going to be a high-end (= specialty) camera tuned for action. Your everyday shooters are the Kp and K70, which both have the articulated screen. And the K1, which is a landscape beast. Being tuned for action, it makes sense to leave the pop-up and artuculated screen off, for solidity and price.

Also the screen will likely be a touch screen, they have already used one on the GRiii, it's becoming standard.

Pentax needs to start putting things into cameras, not leaving them out.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads