Pentax Development Announcement

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 1,676
Re: Pentax Development Announcement

Lights Perfection wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Google Translate version:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.ricoh-imaging.co.jp%2Frim_info%2F2019%2F20190920_027962.html

Original Japanese version:

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info/2019/20190920_027962.html

● Digital SLR camera

Product name: TBD

・ The highest model of our K-mount digital SLR camera with APS-C size image sensor
・ Release date: Under development targeting 2020
・ Price: TBD

* The specifications and appearance of the above products are not final.

I have been patiently waiting to upgrade my still great K20D. I've had doubts and started looking at other brands. This totally made my day! I will keep the faith and keep my fingers crossed! Thank you!

Eugene

More waiting, another year, then remember all the other lenses on the roadmap that still haven't arrived. I'd come back in a year and see but don't be waiting by the phone as such or it will feel like 10 years!

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +1 more
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 4,801

As a rep told me 2 weeks ago it is not a kp design nor k3. It will be new line.

More Advanced SR

New AF system

Bigger and bright OVF.

24mp sensor like the one in Sony 6600 .

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
zakaria
Re: And a picture!

miles green wrote:

I think this is a good cause for celebration!

If they're showing a picture, it means it's coming sooner rather than later.

And what do i see:

1. a JOYSTICK!!!! OK, this means they worked on AF, which is already pretty good, if you have a Kp / K1ii and modern lens. But the joystick was missing for sure.

2. Kp / K1 stype top mode dials, and a big top screen

3. Sensor under the viewfinder

Interesting!

They returned to k5 body.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

Pentax K-1 II Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more

miles green wrote:

PentUp wrote:

bob5050 wrote:

miles green wrote:

5. It's not clear that the rear screen articulates.

That's what I thought too, but on a "closer" look I think I see an indent to the left of the screen which would imply more of a K1 style than a K70 style rear monitor? I would have preferred a fully articulating screen, but can live with the K1 version...

to be honest, i think it's the flap for the contacts on the left side of the camera. I think it will be a fixed screen.

And a touch screen.

The K1 screen's articulation is abolutely genious, and excellent in practice, by far faster and more robust that the usual "fully articulated" screens. Unless you want to shoot selfies.

I use and need the full articulation of the screen in my K-70 and have never taken a selfie in my life.

Pentax K-70 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +1 more
robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,844
I'll be back .......

... as Arnie says ......

If it's going to give decent AF

The rest of it and some of the hinted specs look pretty mega.

Kp equaling or better image quality ..... tick

Lenses that I can use at a wedding or a higher speed shoot, like a tweaked 50-135... that lens is other wordly in terms of IQ, but the AF speed and glitchiness on my k3 was unbearable.

Fingers crossed.

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,316

Smitty1 wrote:

"targeting 2020" --- hmmmm.. that is nice, don't get me wrong, it is pleasing to see formal discussion from Ricoh on the matter. But that wording tells me they aren't convinced it will even release in 2020.

The wording is absolutely normal; no camera company would promise a firm date (or even year) for a product that is still in development.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,919
Seems a fairly conservative iteration

Viewed from the prism of the Kp, it would look like a retrenchment.

Go back to the K-3ii base, add the K-1 top plate, but leave the K-1's articulated LCD behind. Swap the D-pad for a joystick. Dollars to donuts says it also has the K-1's LCD-based AF system, with additional tweaks.

A nice little camera to be sure, ideal even, but sadly for me it's missing one feature and that's a FF sensor. This is not academic criticism: I really would like a smaller, lighter K-1. But more to the point this "K-3iii" will surely come out priced above a used K-1 and possibly even on par with a used K-1ii, with not an awful lot to bring to the table in exchange for suffering a crop sensor**.

** now, before y'all start screaming at me, yes if you've already invested heavily in the DA limiteds I can see why you'd prefer to stick with APSC and that's fine. But, for someone like me, once you put the FA31 on FF, you ain't never going back to crop-format Pentax.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 +8 more
howieb101 Contributing Member • Posts: 654

Well, I hope they manage to change it to an articulating screen. For astro photography an articulating screen is much better.

I would miss a on-board flash for fill.

Good to see something out there is keep the Pentaxian crowd interested though.

I really hope the AF is improved (either AF-C, general speed or AF point coverage; and preferably all three).

It's been a big wait after the K3 so for the K3 faithful, if it eventuates that's it's really only a sensor update and a user interface upgrade it will be a bit of a letdown. They could already have just a released the KP in a K3 body several years ago. And no, I'm not flaming. I've supported the brand and have bought myself both a K1 and a KP. I like the KP but if it had the buffer and battery of the K3 I'd have been happier. The KP is great though and I use it more than my K1.

If they have pulled something out of the hat with some kind of hybrid viewfinder that will be a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, it's still great news so I am hopeful.

Re: Seems a fairly conservative iteration

Richard Murdey wrote:

Viewed from the prism of the Kp, it would look like a retrenchment.

Go back to the K-3ii base, add the K-1 top plate, but leave the K-1's articulated LCD behind. Swap the D-pad for a joystick. Dollars to donuts says it also has the K-1's LCD-based AF system, with additional tweaks.

A nice little camera to be sure, ideal even, but sadly for me it's missing one feature and that's a FF sensor. This is not academic criticism: I really would like a smaller, lighter K-1.

I totally understand but a smaller and lighter FF means mirrorless!

Butut more to the point this "K-3iii" will surely come out priced above a used K-1 and possibly even on par with a used K-1ii, with not an awful lot to bring to the table in exchange for suffering a crop sensor**.

It could be even more expensive than a new K1-ii at certain bargain times of year!

** now, before y'all start screaming at me, yes if you've already invested heavily in the DA limiteds I can see why you'd prefer to stick with APSC and that's fine. But, for someone like me, once you put the FA31 on FF, you ain't never going back to crop-format Pentax.

Understandable too except you have more reach with the crop and a smaller lighter system which many of us prefer or require.

zakaria

Happy times for pentaxians including Me for sure!

It will be better than kp and k3ii surely.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

Massao wrote:

Smitty1 wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Google Translate version:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.ricoh-imaging.co.jp%2Frim_info%2F2019%2F20190920_027962.html

Original Japanese version:

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info/2019/20190920_027962.html

● Digital SLR camera

Product name: TBD

・ The highest model of our K-mount digital SLR camera with APS-C size image sensor
・ Release date: Under development targeting 2020
・ Price: TBD

* The specifications and appearance of the above products are not final.

"targeting 2020" --- hmmmm.. that is nice, don't get me wrong, it is pleasing to see formal discussion from Ricoh on the matter. But that wording tells me they aren't convinced it will even release in 2020.

Definitely doesn't seem like a Q1 or Q2 body release from the looks of it, if the translation is accurate. And they're leaving the door open to maybe not Q3 or Q4 if things don't go as planned!

I agree, and I doubt it will be released in 2020 (I hope they do) BUT they were forced to give an update by their user-base---which is good

I feel a 2021 release would be far too late for many people and maybe the camera itself could be outdated by then unless it really was cutting edge stuff.

Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,919

Oiche wrote:

Richard Murdey wrote:

A nice little camera to be sure, ideal even, but sadly for me it's missing one feature and that's a FF sensor. This is not academic criticism: I really would like a smaller, lighter K-1.

Not entirely. Every time I pick up my K-1 after using my D750 my arm goes "ugh..."

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 +8 more
Mistral75
Mistral75 Contributing Member • Posts: 590

Richard Murdey wrote:

Oiche wrote:

Richard Murdey wrote:

Not entirely. Every time I pick up my K-1 after using my D750 my arm goes "ugh..."

Stainless steel chassis...

The credit goes to their customers, not complainers

Massao wrote:

Good news. This will ease the anxiety in many Pentaxians.

Few days back, someone pointed out here in forum discussions (sorry, don't remember who) that by making noise here (complaining, pointing out the distress, etc) may lead to Ricoh taking some action. I think he/she was correct.

No way. No bleeping way. You don't take a brand/company "hostage" and make demands.

Complaining, negativism, FUD had no contribution on this announcement.

But do you know what had? The fact that Ricoh knew they can count on their loyal user base to buy this camera after it's launched.

R&D for this camera had been ongoing for years; the plan to present it for the anniversary was made at least months ago. This is a very deliberate action by a Japanese-centric company.

It has nothing to do with a futile attempt of appeasing some noisy people on some foreign forum.

Alex

Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,069
Re: The credit goes to their customers, not complainers

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Massao wrote:

Few days back, someone pointed out here in forum discussions (sorry, don't remember who) that by making noise here (complaining, pointing out the distress, etc) may lead to Ricoh taking some action. I think he/she was correct.

No way. No bleeping way. You don't take a brand/company "hostage" and make demands.

But do you know what had? The fact that Ricoh knew they can count on their loyal user base to buy this camera after it's launched.

R&D for this camera had been ongoing for years; the plan to present it for the anniversary was made at least months ago. This is a very deliberate action by a Japanese-centric company.

It has nothing to do with a futile attempt of appeasing some noisy people on some foreign forum.

Alex

Yeah yeah, everyone has their own interpretation. Ricoh desperatly needs more users like you. Too bad your kind is a minority.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Samsung NX500 Pentax K-30 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A58 A3000 +50 more
bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,167

PentUp wrote:

bob5050 wrote:

That's what I thought too, but on a "closer" look I think I see an indent to the left of the screen which would imply more of a K1 style than a K70 style rear monitor? I would have preferred a fully articulating screen, but can live with the K1 version...

My K-3 has a little tab there--it's the cover for the side ports, and that's what it looks like to me more than anything else. But I'm currently giving this feature a 'too soon to tell' notation. An articulating back screen wouldn't be an important gotta-have-it feature for an internal testing prototype, so even it lacking here (if it is lacking) doesn't necessarily mean anything.

bob5050

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR +4 more
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,970

cport wrote:

XMEDA ... nastup!!!

Let him be. Actually, he might provoke Pentax to take finally some actions.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

bob5050 wrote:

PentUp wrote:

bob5050 wrote:

My K-3 has a little tab there--it's the cover for the side ports, and that's what it looks like to me more than anything else. But I'm currently giving this feature a 'too soon to tell' notation. An articulating back screen wouldn't be an important gotta-have-it feature for an internal testing prototype, so even it lacking here (if it is lacking) doesn't necessarily mean anything.

bob5050

Very true, they have 3x different types previously developed they can add in. The thinner the better if a smaller camera is a priority, the K1 'war of the worlds' version would make the camera thicker and heavier.

Massao wrote:

Yeah yeah, everyone has their own interpretation. Ricoh desperatly needs more users like you. Too bad your kind is a minority.

More than just my own interpretation. Ricoh Imaging is in the camera business to make money, not to appease complaints.

Alex

phoenix15
phoenix15 Regular Member • Posts: 303

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Massao wrote:

Alex

Take it easy. I think Massao was halfly joking.

-- hide signature --

“When people ask me what equipment I use – I tell them my eyes.”
-Anonym-
'I dont choose brand because I love it. I choose it because I need it. And the overall features suit best my style. '

phoenix15's gear list:phoenix15's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads