Selling lenses question.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Gaber
Gaber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,864
Selling lenses question.

Is it worth the hassle to sell 6-7 lenses on Amazon or eBay and pay about 15% to them or just take it to a dealer like Adorama and sell for about 70% of expected value? This means I lose 15% but it sure is simpler. What would you do?

-- hide signature --
 Gaber's gear list:Gaber's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +12 more
pcrc11 Regular Member • Posts: 311
Re: Selling lenses question.

Take the extra 15% loss and be done with them. You wont have to worry about returns or waiting for them to sell.

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +2 more
Blind Bill
Blind Bill Regular Member • Posts: 447

pcrc11 wrote:

Take the extra 15% loss and be done with them. You wont have to worry about returns or waiting for them to sell.

+1 on this comment.

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +1 more
sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,615
Re: A little of both, perhaps?

Gaber wrote:

Is it worth the hassle to sell 6-7 lenses on Amazon or eBay and pay about 15% to them or just take it to a dealer like Adorama and sell for about 70% of expected value? This means I lose 15% but it sure is simpler. What would you do?

I was in the same boat... I was shooting with both Olympus and Nikon (some of my Nikon lenses were bought in 2004 to 2007) for many years, and this year I decided to sell all my Nikon gear. I decided to sell what I thought I could get good money for on eBay, and then sell the rest for store credit to Adorama or BHPhoto. I've done the former, but not yet the latter.

I  looked at what was selling used on eBay and sold a couple of lenses and a flashgun that all sold quickly (just did the 7 day auction and allowed offers). eBay takes a cut too, but I still came out well ahead of the estimates provided by BH/Adorama,KEH, etc.

The other lenses I have will go to BH Photo (they seem to give me the best estimates) for a couple of reasons: They are items that will take longer to sell on eBay, and one of the lenses has some dust inside of it and needs to be cleaned. I don't want to get into a back and forth with a buyer about whether or not the lens was as expected. I just want a dealer to give me whatever store credit they want since I was the second owner of that lens anyway. The stuff I decided to sell on eBay were items that looked pretty much new, worked perfectly, and I even had the original boxes for them.

Ultimately it comes down to whether or not the hassle of selling this stuff yourself is worth it. Most of my eBay experiences have been fine and pretty easy, but a few years ago I had to open a case because of a fraudulent buyer (someone's account got hacked) and while it didn't cost me any money it did tie up my item until the case was closed. Another time I had a buyer return an item because it wasn't what they expected even though it was as I had described it. I went ahead an accepted the return, but it turned into another long process that turned a simple transaction into a 4 to 6 week process. Now I only do it if I feel like I could get enough money to make it worth the potential hassle. Trading lenses in to a dealer for credit is less hassle, but will also yield less return. Sometimes that's okay though.

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
riveredger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,455

Gaber wrote:

Price the batch at the trade in value plus shipping costs and someone from this DPR community may buy from you.

riveredger's gear list:riveredger's gear list
Canon G1 X III Samsung Galaxy S9+
tassienick Senior Member • Posts: 1,025

Gaber wrote:

What would you do?

Depending on the specific gear, I sell all my photographic stuff (bodies and lenses) through special-interest forums. RFF, PentaxForums, Photrio, mu-43, Fred Miranda and so on... Generally a good, knowledgeable crowd, and easy to see posting and selling history.

Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 2,783
A current example

Gaber wrote:

My purely PERSONAL experience is that I get a great deal more selling on eBay. KEH, at least on the items I have sold, offered about half what I could get selling myself, plus they pay for the shipping. KEH, Adorama, and B & H, on the occasions I have checked, have been pretty much the same.

Ebay, of course, has distinct disadvantages for sellers regarding buyer reliability, while KEH, Adorama, and B & H pretty much guarantee a smooth and trouble free transaction.

EXAMPLE

A current check of eBay shows the Fujifilm GF 32 - 64, checking only recent auctions that have actually sold, bringing $1500 to $1850 US.

A current estimate from KEH shows them offering $824.

Assuming a 13% eBay/PayPal deduction of $240 or so, we're looking at more or less $850 MORE selling on eBay. Obviously the exact numbers are subject to individual cases but that's still putting things within shouting distance of twice as much in your pocket selling on eBay.

Unless of course the sale goes south with a bad buyer, you sell into a market with limited buyers, or you need to get it over and done with, or just don't like eBay.

I have no way to tell if this is representative situation or not, but you might try the same exercise with your particular circumstances.

Gaber
OP Gaber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,864
Thanks for all your opinions

I totally understand what you fellows are saying. I have sold on ebay, Amazon and to dealers and it is all true. Selling to a dealer is hassle free and quick. The big factor is how much in demand the item is, really. I've bought used cameras and lenses and sold them for more than I paid. I'm leaning towards giving it to a dealer, but maybe try to sell a few first on ebay at a better "Buy it Now" price than the dealer would give (factoring in the 15%) and if it doesn't sell I have really lost nothing.

You get caught up in this gear thing and end up with nice stuff but then you really don't use it enough to justify keeping it.  The problem is...I want to buy more stuff!!!

-- hide signature --
Olympus Tough TG-2 Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +12 more
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 1,210

Gaber wrote:

Is it worth the hassle to sell 6-7 lenses on Amazon or eBay and pay about 15% to them or just take it to a dealer like Adorama and sell for about 70% of expected value? This means I lose 15% but it sure is simpler. What would you doz

I rather make slow motion videos of the lenses smashing against concrete and hope they go viral.

Bob's gear list:Bob's gear list
Nikon D810
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,279
Yep -- keep it simple

pcrc11 wrote:

Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,279
Re: Thanks for all your opinions

Gaber wrote:

..  The problem is...I want to buy more stuff!!!

LOL -- don't we all.

a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,435

Dealer. It is so much simpler. One transaction, an honest purchaser, sorted out in one. In UK outright purchase, trade in, and commission selling are all available.  Lowest return first.  I've got a lens that has been sitting in ffordes for a year (Nikon PC 85mm micro) which surprises me.    The rest of the commission sales I've sent there went reasonably well.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,769

Depends on the value you assign to the extra 15%.

Seems like you don't mind losing that amount of money just to avoid the hassle.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
mrdale Regular Member • Posts: 169

Take a look at www.mpb.com.  I have had good experience selling to them.  They pay shipping and pay by direct deposit usually in 2-3 days.  Prices are better than the major NY houses and much simpler than ebay.  You describe the gear to them, they email a quote, if you accept they send a pre-paid fedx label.  Upon arrival they inspect the gear to match your description then make payment if it all checks out.

dale

sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,615

Gaber wrote:

I totally understand what you fellows are saying. I have sold on ebay, Amazon and to dealers and it is all true. Selling to a dealer is hassle free and quick. The big factor is how much in demand the item is, really. I've bought used cameras and lenses and sold them for more than I paid. I'm leaning towards giving it to a dealer, but maybe try to sell a few first on ebay at a better "Buy it Now" price than the dealer would give (factoring in the 15%) and if it doesn't sell I have really lost nothing.

That was my approach. I checked to see what dealers would give me. Then I compared that to what the same item was going for used on eBay or other sites. If the difference was enough, and it seemed like demand was high enough for a quick sale, I tried eBay first. I completely forgot about trying DPReview as well. It's probably a better experience selling through DPReview, but it might also take longer since eBay is a wider net.

You get caught up in this gear thing and end up with nice stuff but then you really don't use it enough to justify keeping it. The problem is...I want to buy more stuff!!!

That's the Gear Acquisition Syndrome in a nutshell 

I have bought and sold new and used lenses off and on since 2004. On the plus side, lenses hold their value better than most purchases. That's why dealers bother with used lenses in the first place. There aren't many hobbies where you can sell used equipment that is more than a decade old and still get any amount of money that makes the hassle worth while.  Quite often even a dealer is still going to give you an amount that feels pretty good considering it might be a lens that you got to own and use for many years.

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
Gaber

biza43 wrote:

Depends on the value you assign to the extra 15%.

Seems like you don't mind losing that amount of money just to avoid the hassle.

The older I get, the less hassle I can stand...

...and I'm older than I was.

-- hide signature --
Gaber

sean000 wrote:

Gaber wrote:

That was my approach. I checked to see what dealers would give me. Then I compared that to what the same item was going for used on eBay or other sites. If the difference was enough, and it seemed like demand was high enough for a quick sale, I tried eBay first. I completely forgot about trying DPReview as well. It's probably a better experience selling through DPReview, but it might also take longer since eBay is a wider net.

You get caught up in this gear thing and end up with nice stuff but then you really don't use it enough to justify keeping it. The problem is...I want to buy more stuff!!!

That's the Gear Acquisition Syndrome in a nutshell

I have bought and sold new and used lenses off and on since 2004. On the plus side, lenses hold their value better than most purchases. That's why dealers bother with used lenses in the first place. There aren't many hobbies where you can sell used equipment that is more than a decade old and still get any amount of money that makes the hassle worth while. Quite often even a dealer is still going to give you an amount that feels pretty good considering it might be a lens that you got to own and use for many years.

Amen. Thank God our equipment keeps some reasonable value. You get to use and enjoy it and then you are on to new stuff. I'm looking to get a $1900 lens, so why keep what I hardly ever use.

-- hide signature --
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 4,630

Gaber wrote:

Maybe you should use whatever money you make to get some mental health counseling.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Gaber

HRC2016 wrote:

Gaber wrote:

Maybe you should use whatever money you make to get some mental health counseling.

I will take that as a humorous poke at me. This is a hobby and I enjoyed and used every lens I ever bought. Photography keeps me from needing mental health counseling.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads