Lens for car shows

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Bridgerunner New Member • Posts: 19
Lens for car shows

What do you guys recommends for lens under 400 dollars for car shows, doesnt need to be autofocus. Cars will be parked side by side to each other. Been using and old vintage pentax 50mm with zhongyi adapter =54mm on apsc a6500 body however its hard to be shooting from far away when people move across your shots. I love bokeh so lens must have bokeh. Also dont want fisheye looks that changes the look of the car , any advice will be much appreciated

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6500 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RDCollins Senior Member • Posts: 1,112
Re: Lens for car shows

Sony - E 50mm F1.8 OSS (SEL50F18/B) ($348 on Amazon) or the Sony 35mm f/1.8 SEL35F18 ($423 on Amazon) might fit the bill. Cheaper used, and the "Used - Like New" offerings are usually quite good.

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California

 RDCollins's gear list:RDCollins's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
desrataz
desrataz Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: Lens for car shows

Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens for less than 200.00.

'41 ford

'38 ford

-- hide signature --

Frank

Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466
Re: Lens for car shows

Bridgerunner wrote:

What do you guys recommends for lens under 400 dollars for car shows, doesnt need to be autofocus. Cars will be parked side by side to each other. Been using and old vintage pentax 50mm with zhongyi adapter =54mm on apsc a6500 body however its hard to be shooting from far away when people move across your shots. I love bokeh so lens must have bokeh. Also dont want fisheye looks that changes the look of the car , any advice will be much appreciated

I have been shooting cars at auto shows with the 16/2.8, 24/1.8 and 35/1.8. I posted some British cars here recently where I used mostly the 16/2.8 and the first two with the Sony 35/1.8. Many people will comment that the 16/2.8 is "garbage", however look for yourself in my recent post.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +10 more
OP Bridgerunner New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Lens for car shows

Im thinking of the sigma 16mm (24mm on apsc) f1.4 is this good for cars or its going to give that fisheye effect

brilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,959
Re: Lens for car shows

Bridgerunner wrote:

Im thinking of the sigma 16mm (24mm on apsc) f1.4 is this good for cars or its going to give that fisheye effect

fisheye 'effect' depends on how close you get more than on the lens

Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466
Re: Lens for car shows
1

Bridgerunner wrote:

Im thinking of the sigma 16mm (24mm on apsc) f1.4 is this good for cars or its going to give that fisheye effect

The car photos I posted were all (except the first two) shot with a 16 mm lens

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +10 more
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,057
Re: Lens for car shows

desrataz wrote:

Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens for less than 200.00.

I agree with you, here are a few (over 95%) taken with my Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens.

Here are a few more taken of a motorcycle show with the same lens. IMHO, I think it is the best bang for the buck prime lens for the Sony APS-C E-mount cameras.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

 snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466
Re: Lens for car shows
1

snapa wrote:

desrataz wrote:

Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens for less than 200.00.

I agree with you, here are a few (over 95%) taken with my Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens.

Here are a few more taken of a motorcycle show with the same lens. IMHO, I think it is the best bang for the buck prime lens for the Sony APS-C E-mount cameras.

I agree that a 30mm lens from Sigma works for car shows, however it will depend on the size of the crowed. In busy street car show or cruise nights too many people come between you and the subject so you need to get closer to the subject. For those situations a wider lens is required. I have used the 21/4 Voigtländer Color Skopar or the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8. Or, like in the last show I posted, the Sony pancake 16/2.8. Therefore the best lens is dependent on the situation in the field.

Next week I will shoot a Cruise Night (in the blue hour and later) taking place at a 50's Diner every Thursday night. I will probably need the Sigma 16/1.4 for that occasion.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +10 more
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,057
Re: Lens for car shows
1

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

snapa wrote:

desrataz wrote:

Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens for less than 200.00.

I agree with you, here are a few (over 95%) taken with my Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens.

Here are a few more taken of a motorcycle show with the same lens. IMHO, I think it is the best bang for the buck prime lens for the Sony APS-C E-mount cameras.

I agree that a 30mm lens from Sigma works for car shows, however it will depend on the size of the crowed. In busy street car show or cruise nights too many people come between you and the subject so you need to get closer to the subject. For those situations a wider lens is required. I have used the 21/4 Voigtländer Color Skopar or the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8. Or, like in the last show I posted, the Sony pancake 16/2.8. Therefore the best lens is dependent on the situation in the field.

Next week I will shoot a Cruise Night (in the blue hour and later) taking place at a 50's Diner every Thursday night. I will probably need the Sigma 16/1.4 for that occasion.

When I go to car shows that require me to get closer, I simply use my excellent Sony 18-135 lens. Here is a show that had cars very close together, and it worked out perfectly. That was the first day I used it, and it was around noon on an extremely sunny day, so I was just learning how to use it.

BTW... have I told you how much I enjoy using that lens lately? IMO, it is the best wide-to-mid range zoom lens Sony has ever made for their APS-C E-mount cameras, period!

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

 snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
ECDC Regular Member • Posts: 120
Re: Lens for car shows

Kit lens is more than adequate.  Get a CPL for it, shoot RAW, and you'll be way ahead of almost anyone else.

OP Bridgerunner New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Lens for car shows
  1. ECDC wrote:

Kit lens is more than adequate. Get a CPL for it, shoot RAW, and you'll be way ahead of almost anyone else.

I wasnt able to get that bokeh effect on kit lens 😞

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads