Made the jump

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
draacor
draacor Senior Member • Posts: 1,664
Made the jump

So i decided to make the jump to mirrorless. It has been a long few weeks trying to decide. I had a D850 with lenses including the 24-70 f2.8 G, 85mm f1.4D, 50mm f1.4D, Tokina 100mm F2.8 etc. I ended up selling all my D lenses and even replaced the 85 with the G version.  Ended up getting the Z7 with 24-70 F2.8 S and 50mm f1.8 S. In the end it came down to two things that bugged me about the D850.

1. AF Fine tune - hated hated hated doing this crap. Especially with a zoom lens. It was just never perfect and i would miss focus more often than not.

2. Z mount is the future. If i dont sell my F mount stuff now all its going to do is go down in value. Better to sell it now while i can still get some money for it.

I never had an EVF before and so far I am really enjoying it. No longer do i have to Chimp and it truly is WYSIWYG. I will say that its definitely not as fast as my D850 but its not bad. I did some BIF stuff but not a ton and mostly stationary stuff, never did sports. So not sure i really care that its slower. As long as AF is accurate thats all that matters to me. So far it seems pretty accurate and thats with an adapted lens. Love the size so far. My 50mm comes in today and 24-70 comes in tomorrow, cant wait right now i am just using the adapter on my 85mm 1.4G and here is my first shot with it.

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mgblack74 Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Re: Made the jump

Welcome to the light-weight side :-). Most of us here have used and/or continue to use F mount gear. It's all great. But certainly Z's offer a different shooting experience and in some ways a better one, depending on what your niche is. Enjoy!

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +1 more
JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,879
Welcome!

draacor wrote:

So i decided to make the jump to mirrorless. It has been a long few weeks trying to decide. I had a D850 with lenses including the 24-70 f2.8 G, 85mm f1.4D, 50mm f1.4D, Tokina 100mm F2.8 etc. I ended up selling all my D lenses and even replaced the 85 with the G version. Ended up getting the Z7 with 24-70 F2.8 S and 50mm f1.8 S. In the end it came down to two things that bugged me about the D850.

1. AF Fine tune - hated hated hated doing this crap. Especially with a zoom lens. It was just never perfect and i would miss focus more often than not.

2. Z mount is the future. If i dont sell my F mount stuff now all its going to do is go down in value. Better to sell it now while i can still get some money for it.

I never had an EVF before and so far I am really enjoying it. No longer do i have to Chimp and it truly is WYSIWYG. I will say that its definitely not as fast as my D850 but its not bad. I did some BIF stuff but not a ton and mostly stationary stuff, never did sports. So not sure i really care that its slower. As long as AF is accurate thats all that matters to me. So far it seems pretty accurate and thats with an adapted lens. Love the size so far. My 50mm comes in today and 24-70 comes in tomorrow, cant wait right now i am just using the adapter on my 85mm 1.4G and here is my first shot with it.

Welcome to the world of Z !

If accurate AF is your thing then you've come to the right place, and you will find that even with adapted lenses the focus will be great, something that I've come to love about MILC.

As for the EVF, I think you already experienced (WYSIWYG) what you've been missing, the second thing that I love about MILC.

The Z lenses are great and I hope to eventually use only that, but until my wife has made the switch to a Z I will hold on to some of the F-mount lenses we have.

Enjoy and have fun!

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Brian Homer
Brian Homer Regular Member • Posts: 354

Welcome to the Z and enjoy!

-- hide signature --

Brian Homer

Brian Homer's gear list:Brian Homer's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +7 more
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,095

draacor wrote:

So i decided to make the jump to mirrorless. It has been a long few weeks trying to decide. I had a D850 with lenses including the 24-70 f2.8 G, 85mm f1.4D, 50mm f1.4D, Tokina 100mm F2.8 etc. I ended up selling all my D lenses and even replaced the 85 with the G version. Ended up getting the Z7 with 24-70 F2.8 S and 50mm f1.8 S. In the end it came down to two things that bugged me about the D850.

I like my Z6 however I don’t see F mount gear value dropping faster than normal.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads