Bigma won't focus with my a7iii

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Bigma won't focus with my a7iii

Just received an a7iii, my first FF digital camera, very impressive. Love it so far.

Was hoping I could use my Sigma 50-500mm DG OS HSM lens with this camera, but it will not hold focus. I have tried all possible settings with no luck. Just keeps hunting in AF.

This lens auto focuses perfectly with my a77ii even with a 1.4x teleconverter!

My  24-70mmm and 105mm macro Sigma A-mount lenses also auto focus very nicely and quickly with the a7iii.

Any advice or possible workarounds?

-- hide signature --

...."Sony, your crap is so good"....love this quote!

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +15 more
ANSWER:
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
QuietOC
QuietOC Senior Member • Posts: 3,489
Re: Bigma won't focus with my a7iii

Which adapter are you using? LA-EA3?

I wouldn't recommend adapting Sigma A-mount lenses.  I have found errors in mine. They do focus more reliably on the LA-EA4. I have no experience with the lenses you mention. Trading the A-mount version for an EF-mount version might improve the situation.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7 II Sony 28-75mm F2.8 SAM Sony FE 28mm F2 Canon PowerShot S1 IS +134 more
Karl Scharf
OP Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080

QuietOC wrote:

I wouldn't recommend adapting Sigma A-mount lenses. Mine focus more reliably on the LA-EA4. I have no experience with the lenses you mention. Trading the A-mount version for an EF-mount version might be better.

Yes, I am using an LA-EA3 adapter.

-- hide signature --

Sony a7 III Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +15 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Senior Member • Posts: 3,489

Karl Scharf wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

I wouldn't recommend adapting Sigma A-mount lenses. Mine focus more reliably on the LA-EA4. I have no experience with the lenses you mention. Trading the A-mount version for an EF-mount version might be better.

The first link on Google for "LA-EA3 50-500" is a post here reporting, "AF works poorly or not at all"

I also find many reports that it works fine on the LA-EA4. And I find reports that the EF version works fine on the MC-11 or Metabones.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7 II Sony 28-75mm F2.8 SAM Sony FE 28mm F2 Canon PowerShot S1 IS +134 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Karl Scharf

QuietOC wrote:

Karl Scharf wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

The first link on Google for "LA-EA3 50-500" is a post here reporting, "AF works poorly or not at all"

I also find many reports that it works fine on the LA-EA4. And I find reports that the EF version works fine on the MC-11 or Metabones.

Thank you for the response. The video I found on-line (in German) shows the 50-500 Sigma actually auto focusing. I am still playing around with the settings, sure would love to be able to use this lens with my a7iii. If worst comes to worst, I will have to manually focus.

-- hide signature --

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,878

I don't have a lot of confidence it will help, but have you updated the LA-EA3 firmware?

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D200 +17 more
Karl Scharf

SQLGuy wrote:

I don't have a lot of confidence it will help, but have you updated the LA-EA3 firmware?

Thank you kindly for your input.

When I check the camera with the LA-EA3 attached, The display shows camera firmware 3.01, lens firmware 02. Thought this was the latest.

I would not know how to update the adapter firmware if it is not the latest. By the way, the AF works perfectly with the Sigma 24-70mm A-mount lens and this adapter.

-- hide signature --

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,878

Karl Scharf wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Thank you kindly for your input.

When I check the camera with the LA-EA3 attached, The display shows camera firmware 3.01, lens firmware 02. Thought this was the latest.

I would not know how to update the adapter firmware if it is not the latest. By the way, the AF works perfectly with the Sigma 24-70mm A-mount lens and this adapter.

That is the latest. The LA-EA3 firmware update came shortly after the A9 shipped.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/lenses-mount-adaptors/la-ea3/downloads/W0011140

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D200 +17 more
Karl Scharf

Thanks again for your response.

Still trying different settings, so far I have managed to get some auto focusing at least at the shorter focal lengths. May have to take advantage of the focus peaking function in manual focusing mode at the longer focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

Ha Pham Regular Member • Posts: 269

Karl Scharf wrote:

Just received an a7iii, my first FF digital camera, very impressive. Love it so far.

Was hoping I could use my Sigma 50-500mm DG OS HSM lens with this camera, but it will not hold focus. I have tried all possible settings with no luck. Just keeps hunting in AF.

My 24-70mmm and 105mm macro Sigma A-mount lenses also auto focus very nicely and quickly with the a7iii.

Hi Karl,

I used the older A-mount Sigma 50-500 lens (no OS) + LA-EA4 with my Sony A7r and A7iii with no problem in auto focus.

Ha

Ha Pham's gear list:Ha Pham's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma SD15 +3 more
Karl Scharf

Ha Pham wrote:

Karl Scharf wrote:

My 24-70mmm and 105mm macro Sigma A-mount lenses also auto focus very nicely and quickly with the a7iii.

Hi Karl,

I used the older A-mount Sigma 50-500 lens (no OS) + LA-EA4 with my Sony A7r and A7iii with no problem in auto focus.

Ha

I really don't want to spend the money on the LA-EA4 adapter. For now, I am just going to get used to manually focusing this lens using the focus peaking function.

Manually focused at 500mm

-- hide signature --

Ha Pham Regular Member • Posts: 269

Hi Karl,

Just in case you forgot. There is a collar on the Sigma 50-500 showing MF and AF. To engage AF , one has to pull the collar so only AF is shown.

Ha

Ha Pham's gear list:Ha Pham's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma SD15 +3 more
Karl Scharf

Ha Pham wrote:

Hi Karl,

Just in case you forgot. There is a collar on the Sigma 50-500 showing MF and AF. To engage AF , one has to pull the collar so only AF is shown.

Ha

Mine has a separate switch for AF/MF:

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads