The Moon with a 200-500 on a D7200

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,113
The Moon with a 200-500 on a D7200

Shot from a tiny travel tripod with MUP and a remote cord.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
volks 1
volks 1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,686
Re: The Moon with a 200-500 on a D7200

Flashlight wrote:

Nice shot, well done.

-- hide signature --

Keep it simple.

volks 1's gear list:volks 1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR
1971_M5
1971_M5 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,257

Nice!  Excellent result.  Perfect 3/4 moon for light/shadows.  Well done.  200-500 on DX is a great combo.

1971_M5's gear list:1971_M5's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 5,312

Flashlight wrote:

Ah, that's very nice. The contrast is great. Did you use AF or manual focus?  How did you judge exposure on the moon with the raw file?  Have you tried blinkies right on the moon?

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
OP Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,113

Ernie Misner wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

Ah, that's very nice. The contrast is great. Did you use AF or manual focus? How did you judge exposure on the moon with the raw file? Have you tried blinkies right on the moon?

Thanks. I used AF on the edge of the moon and exposed in M mode by judging the exposure on the back LCD. In PP I reduced the brightness by about a stop as I liked it better.

I did try manual focus but the tiny tripod was too unstable for that. Luckily the lens was properly fine tuned. Very happy with the lens.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 5,312

Flashlight wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

Ah, that's very nice. The contrast is great. Did you use AF or manual focus? How did you judge exposure on the moon with the raw file? Have you tried blinkies right on the moon?

Thanks. I used AF on the edge of the moon and exposed in M mode by judging the exposure on the back LCD. In PP I reduced the brightness by about a stop as I liked it better.

Looks like you judged the exposure well.   Blinkies do work right on the moon though which is cool.   Did you use some Dehaze by chance?  I really like the rugged look you got on the moon.

I did try manual focus but the tiny tripod was too unstable for that. Luckily the lens was properly fine tuned. Very happy with the lens.

Way to go getting such a great result with AF on the moon's edge.  The VR is so good on that lens that I can't see any difference using my finger or a remote usually.  For manual focusing, a good trick is to turn on VR while focusing manually.  What you did worked great though and thanks!

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads