First pictures of the X-Pro3?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
Re: Not sure about the veracity of this info

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Fuji won’t remove the d-pad without it having a touchscreen.

Probably true, but it’s not looking like the touchscreen is going to be easily accessible on this thing in any case. I honestly don’t know why Fuji is so gung-ho about touchscreens anyway, it seems like most folks who have encountered them on their Fujis have found them to be mostly disagreeable and have, for the most part, partially or completely disabled them. Fuji people like physical knobs and buttons, not touchscreens.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +1 more
HatWearingFool
HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 1,943

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Probably true, but it’s not looking like the touchscreen is going to be easily accessible on this thing in any case. I honestly don’t know why Fuji is so gung-ho about touchscreens anyway, it seems like most folks who have encountered them on their Fujis have found them to be mostly disagreeable and have, for the most part, partially or completely disabled them. Fuji people like physical knobs and buttons, not touchscreens.

It would help if Fuji could make a decent touch screen. I used the one on my Panasonic all the time, but hardly ever use the one on my x-t20. The Fuji simply sucks in comparison. I hear cannons are very good as well.

Apparently the touch screen on the new x-a7 is a big step forward tho, so hopefully Fuji catches up finally.

-- hide signature --
DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 9,002

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

I like the touchscreen on my X-E3 and would welcome an X-T3 3-way tilting touchscreen and D-pad on the Pro3. While I sometimes use it for shooting and AF-touchpad; I always use it for playback. Once I figured out the gestures were flicks instead of swipes, they became simple to trigger. Of course, they should use the X-Pro2's superior D-pad; this would give people four additional Fn gestures they don't have to use if they don't want.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Christian Scarlet Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: First pictures of the X-Pro3?

Threaded wrote:

A certain well known rumour site has published apparently accurate sketches of the forthcoming X-Pro3, from one of their reliable sources - https://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-this-is-the-fujifilm-x-pro3-dual-screen-and-button-layout-sketches-of-x-pro3-top-front-and-backside/

It appears to confirm not only the controversial “flip down” rear screen, but also a secondary small display on the back of the flap for settings etc (similar to the XH1’s top lcd possibly).

It’s fair to say I’m not a fan. I don’t need or want Fuji to patronise me by weaning me off the rear screen, and I don’t want to pretend I’m using a film camera, I’m quite happy feeling like a grown up with a digital camera when I use my XP2. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I agree totally, I don’t need my retro that realistic.

Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 1,251

HatWearingFool wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

It would help if Fuji could make a decent touch screen. I used the one on my Panasonic all the time, but hardly ever use the one on my x-t20. The Fuji simply sucks in comparison. I hear cannons are very good as well.

Apparently the touch screen on the new x-a7 is a big step forward tho, so hopefully Fuji catches up finally.

However good they get, they will likely still be of limited use to the left eye dominant folks out there while using the EVF. More than anything else, I really have a problem with them removing the d-pads on everything lately.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +1 more
mrb375
mrb375 Regular Member • Posts: 424
Re: It‘s Fuji‘s decision

markusw wrote:

Just keep in mind - for most of us it‘s just a hobby. But for Fuji, it is about jobs, earnings, shareholders, and in the end, it‘s about surviving in this shrinking market. A real tough situation, and I am pretty sure they did the very best.

None of the upcoming XPro3 features seem that bad.. maybe IBIS should have been added, but I shot without and learned to live with it.

What I mean.. it's not like Nikon's single card slot debacle..

mrb375's gear list:mrb375's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Canon Pixma Pro-1 +1 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,691
Re: This thing is gonna bomb 💣

HatWearingFool wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

Stupid, impractical screen, no d-pad, no ibis, probably image quality no better than the X-Pro2, no thank you. From niche product to fringe product. I’m seriously hoping the X100V and X-T4 don’t suffer similar “improvements”.

Maybe the sales of the x-pro3 are so low it's not much of a risk for FujiFilm. As you say it was already niche.

It's possible there are enough "purists" to offset the loss of traditional x-pro3 buyers. And it seems anecdotally that at least some current x-pro shooters like the changes. It'll be curious to see how well Fujifilm did their homework.

A niche model that's only upgraded every 4 years can probably afford to be radical.

I'm very curious to see what happens to x-e bodies.I suspect it's a bigger seller and will remain more mainstream in design to keep users who want rangefinder format.

I'm more interested in what is under the hood. In reality the LCD being hidden is not a bad thing in that it offered some protection. It might also have forced them to address the idiotic eye sensor they have foisted on the users.

If it is nothing more than a repackaged T3 innards - forget it. But the last time Fuji used the Pro2 to introduce a new generation sensor. If that is the case this time - I would definitely be interested - if not forget it.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more
AvonII New Member • Posts: 1

The lack of a proper "flip screen" on the X-Pro 2 was a deal breaker for me and I am no entire sure this "drop down screen" is that much of an improvement.......will have to see on that point.  Joy stick over a 'D' pad may take some getting used to, but one must progress I guess.  However, it must at least have the speed of processing and fast, accurate auto focus that the X-T3 has.......hopefully even better.

surfoxy
surfoxy Regular Member • Posts: 270

Threaded wrote:

A certain well known rumour site has published apparently accurate sketches of the forthcoming X-Pro3, from one of their reliable sources - https://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-this-is-the-fujifilm-x-pro3-dual-screen-and-button-layout-sketches-of-x-pro3-top-front-and-backside/

It appears to confirm not only the controversial “flip down” rear screen, but also a secondary small display on the back of the flap for settings etc (similar to the XH1’s top lcd possibly).

It’s fair to say I’m not a fan. I don’t need or want Fuji to patronise me by weaning me off the rear screen, and I don’t want to pretend I’m using a film camera, I’m quite happy feeling like a grown up with a digital camera when I use my XP2. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Interesting, thanks for posting.

Not sure why Fuji feels the need to re-invent screens. I know not everyone will ever agree on the best design, but camera reviewers and a lot of the public just want a simple, fully-articulating flip screen. Doesn't seem that hard. 
Odd quirk.

-- hide signature --

Chris

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
9VIII Contributing Member • Posts: 621

caesarb wrote:

I was hoping for a very simple and clean design, similar to Leica M.

That’s probably the type of customer Fuji is pursuing here. The X-Pro is already the closest anyone can get without breaking the bank, and now the design is moving even more toward Leica territory.
Thankfully Fuji still has five dials on the body though.

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Fujifilm X-E2S Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +5 more
7rvar Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: How and when do you use your rear LCD now?

I'm fine with having the screen closed but give it the X-A7 style articulating screen not this one that is limited and bordering on useless. Tack on a GFX100 second screen for the exif if that's what they want.

I guess they just want to push us to the GFX50R and hope we don't walk off with Panasonics and Sony's on the price points that lie in between.

7rvar's gear list:7rvar's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T20 +14 more
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,178

So it shows no D-pad which is fine but usually that means there will be touchscreen capabilities BUT it doesn’t seem like using touch on that weird angled thin screen would be easy. Although I would turn off the touchscreen as I did on my X-E3 it’s still a weird concept on that screen. I’m hoping there’s going to be some new innovations on the X-Pro3 and not just the same guts of the T3.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.
I’m not hung up on the Bokeh fad because I’m too busy chasing shadows.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +15 more
zapper Regular Member • Posts: 185

Add me to the list of people that despise this LCD screen design. I cannot believe it would be so dysfunctional.

I would have been happy with the exact same X-Pro2 design with updated electronics. IBIS would have been awesome.

herbalserpent
herbalserpent Regular Member • Posts: 105

Remember when Homer was asked to design “people car”? Lol

herbalserpent's gear list:herbalserpent's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
9VIII Contributing Member • Posts: 621
Re: How and when do you use your rear LCD now?

I think this setup is going to be one of the best for casually composing images without being noticed, the screen is facing you but it’s relatively hidden at the bottom of the camera. Fully articulating screens create a large obvious outline of a camera in use.
An argument could be made that the vast majority of LCD use is from this position anyway, and accessing the screen with a single flip down is much more streamlined (and again hopefully it all ties into some amazing battery saving mode).

And then one of the main reasons I’m really not so worried is the basic fact that as soon as you have remote shooting over wi-fi then any camera mounted screen is mostly inferior in Tripod use.
I’ll admit though that Fuji should make their remote app NFC compatible before suddenly expecting people to rely on it. If the X-Pro 3 is NFC compatible that would be a huge upgrade in convenience.

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Fujifilm X-E2S Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +5 more
Mateus1 Contributing Member • Posts: 890

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

More than anything else, I really have a problem with them removing the d-pads on everything lately.

Particularly on X-Pro3 aimed on street/documentary/reportage shooters that together with this stupid fliping down LCD makes this cam nonsensical.

Mateus1 Contributing Member • Posts: 890
Re: It‘s Fuji‘s decision

markusw wrote:

Today, wedding, documentary or portrait pros have enough bodies to choose from, and I assume many of them will go for the XT3.

And if you don‘t like it - get something else, as long as it is from Fuji

Sorry, what a nonsense and odd quirk.

vegetaleb
vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 1,440

It's weird but the xpro series never tempted me, as long as they won't do this dual lcd on the x-t4 I don't care

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 9,002
Re: This thing is gonna bomb 💣

Truman Prevatt wrote:

If it is nothing more than a repackaged T3 innards - forget it. But the last time Fuji used the Pro2 to introduce a new generation sensor. If that is the case this time - I would definitely be interested - if not forget it.

While there will be some X-Pro specific features, it will basically be a repackaged X-T3 since Fuji already released their current sensor and processor in that camera.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
caesarb Contributing Member • Posts: 514

I think the articulating screen is complicating the design.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads