M6 Mark II can record 4:2:2 10-bit external?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
confusedbagels New Member • Posts: 2
M6 Mark II can record 4:2:2 10-bit external?

Found this quote buried in an overview of the M6 Mark II's video capabilities:

With clean output, compatible HDMI recorders can be connected with appropriate HDMI cords. During Clean HDMI out, video is not recorded to an in-camera SD card. With compatible external recorders, Uncompressed 4:2:2, 10-bit files can be recorded via HDMI.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/learn/education/topics/article/2019/august/4k-and-full-hd-video-with-the-eos-m6-mark-ii

Hadn't seen that feature mentioned anywhere else. Was curious if anyone had seen it reported elsewhere.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,083
Re: M6 Mark II can record 4:2:2 10-bit external?

confusedbagels wrote:

With clean output, compatible HDMI recorders can be connected with appropriate HDMI cords. During Clean HDMI out, video is not recorded to an in-camera SD card. With compatible external recorders, Uncompressed 4:2:2, 10-bit files can be recorded via HDMI.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/learn/education/topics/article/2019/august/4k-and-full-hd-video-with-the-eos-m6-mark-ii

Hadn't seen that feature mentioned anywhere else. Was curious if anyone had seen it reported elsewhere.

Oh, yeah, sure. First thing I looked for (said the totally video-ignorant guy pretending to know what the hell any of that means. )

"HDMI recording
Menu-selected user choices for HDMI output with info (images recorded to the SD card); Clean 4K output, or Clean Full HD output. With clean output, compatible HDMI recorders can be connected with appropriate HDMI cords. During Clean HDMI out, video is not recorded to an in-camera SD card. With compatible external recorders, Uncompressed 4:2:2, 10-bit files can be recorded via HDMI."

I see they keep mentioning "Clean" output. That means no nekkid stuff, right?

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Mirfak Senior Member • Posts: 1,476

Lemming51 wrote:

confusedbagels wrote:

Oh, yeah, sure. First thing I looked for (said the totally video-ignorant guy pretending to know what the hell any of that means. )

"HDMI recording
Menu-selected user choices for HDMI output with info (images recorded to the SD card); Clean 4K output, or Clean Full HD output. With clean output, compatible HDMI recorders can be connected with appropriate HDMI cords. During Clean HDMI out, video is not recorded to an in-camera SD card. With compatible external recorders, Uncompressed 4:2:2, 10-bit files can be recorded via HDMI."

Not sure that 10bit 4:2:2 2.8K upscaled to 4K will make a difference.

KEG
KEG Senior Member • Posts: 2,971

Mirfak wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

confusedbagels wrote:

"HDMI recording

2.8K how? (6960/2 gives 3.5K video) or the sensor is actually using a frame size of 7680x4320 which would make it multi aspect ratio (unlikely) or the image processing pipeline has been optimized to the degree where the sensor is able to sample 6960 down to 3840 in real time

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M50 +14 more
Miguel-C
Miguel-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,048

Mirfak wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

confusedbagels wrote:

"HDMI recording

It will if u want ou do colour grading.

Miguel-C wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

confusedbagels wrote:

"HDMI recording

Not necessarily. I've seen a particular suite of tests done by a Hollywood filmmaker and color grading expert who concluded that you have to do extensive grading before banding and other artifacts appear in 8bit. He mentioned that Sony's S-Log3 should be avoided because the that log profile is too flat for grading in 8bit video. He thought that S-Log2 was fine because the needed grading was mild.

Miguel-C
Miguel-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,048

Mirfak wrote:

Miguel-C wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

confusedbagels wrote:

"HDMI recording

Not necessarily. I've seen a particular suite of tests done by a Hollywood filmmaker and color grading expert who concluded that you have to do extensive grading before banding and other artifacts appear in 8bit. He mentioned that Sony's S-Log3 should be avoided because the that log profile is too flat for grading in 8bit video. He thought that S-Log2 was fine because the needed grading was mild.

Depends on the camera I guess, the video on my m5 breaks apart really easily with minimal HSL modifications.

P runar Regular Member • Posts: 295

the 4k internal on memory card is 860MB/min... does anybody know the file size of the external uncompressed 4.2.2/10bit ?

P runar's gear list:P runar's gear list
Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more

Miguel-C wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

Miguel-C wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

Lemming51 wrote:

confusedbagels wrote:

"HDMI recording

Depends on the camera I guess, the video on my m5 breaks apart really easily with minimal HSL modifications.

Fair point.

KEG

Given 30 fps, around 17GB/m

-- hide signature --

KEG

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M50 +14 more
KEG

KEG wrote:

Each 8MP frame is around 10MB, each pixel is 10 bits or 1.25 bytes

at 30 fps we have 1800 frames per minute, 1800 x 10 MB = 18 GB

-- hide signature --

KEG

P runar Regular Member • Posts: 295

KEG wrote:

KEG wrote:

Thanks KEG ,  it's gonna be big file's,,, i will be using the internal 8bit for the most,

P runar's gear list:P runar's gear list
Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
OP confusedbagels New Member • Posts: 2

P runar wrote:

KEG wrote:

KEG wrote:

Thanks KEG , it's gonna be big file's,,, i will be using the internal 8bit for the most,

True. However, most external recorders can record the uncompressed stream at a variety resolutions and bitrates. If your recorder can do some flavors of ProRes here are a few example bitrates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_ProRes

gjeric New Member • Posts: 23

Anyone with Atomos and M6mk2 that can confirm if its possible to get 4.2.2 10bit video?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads