Voigtlander 65 users

Started 2 months ago | Questions
tbpeur01
tbpeur01 Regular Member • Posts: 251
Voigtlander 65 users

Does anyone use this as their only macro lens? I ask because I’m wondering if anyone feels the 1:2 magnification is too limiting. Also, do you feel like owning this and the Zony 50/1.4 offers too much overlap? I’m really interested in the Voigt but wonder if It’s too redundant considering my current kit.

tbpeur01's gear list:tbpeur01's gear list
Sony a7R II Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 35mm F1.8
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: Voigtlander 65 users

I have only tried a few handheld "macros" since owning it and has become my walk-around lens. It is quite close to your 50/1.4, perhaps look at the 110 with it's 1:1 instead? I really really like it though......

Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
tbpeur01
OP tbpeur01 Regular Member • Posts: 251

Thanks Dave, i’ve thought about the 110 but am a little turned off by its size. I also like the thought of including more in the image by using the 65.

Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 614

Looking at the spread in your lenses this may be for you then. Of note, seeing as how the lens element is recessed so much mine always has a cpl or clear filter on it when outside.

My handheld macro attempt in the backyard.

Out for a dog walk....

Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
A-Marc
A-Marc Regular Member • Posts: 141

this lens is special, the apo design gives it that magic and it is really sharp.

it is the lens that amazes me the most and its a joy to use. i would not call it macro lens, i would call it close up lens. also very good for portraits and as a walk around.

product shot of shure headphones

TheOwl360 Regular Member • Posts: 236

tbpeur01 wrote:

Does anyone use this as their only macro lens? I ask because I’m wondering if anyone feels the 1:2 magnification is too limiting. Also, do you feel like owning this and the Zony 50/1.4 offers too much overlap? I’m really interested in the Voigt but wonder if It’s too redundant considering my current kit.

I have the Voigt 65 and the Zony 50/1.4.

I haven't found the 1:2 magnification of the Voigt limiting, particularly when using a high resolution camera enabling closer cropping.

As for overlap with Sony 50/1.4: They are, indeed, close in focal length and IQ. However, the Sony has autofocus and relatively less magnification.

TheOwl360's gear list:TheOwl360's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +12 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 26,605

tbpeur01 wrote:

I think CV 65 is an excellent lens. I don't use it as a macro lens, because neither it nor the a7x cameras support focus bracketing.

I'm going to try and see if I can make focus bracketing work with the a7RIV, the Sony 90/2.8 macro, and the Sony controller.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +4 more
tbpeur01

Thanks Jim,

It’s either the 65 or the 90 i’m looking into. My gut points me to the 90 for it’s extra functionality, but the overall IQ and reviews of the 65 make me wonder if it would better suit my purpose of shooting flora/insects while including that extra little bit of background.

JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 26,605

tbpeur01 wrote:

Thanks Jim,

It’s either the 65 or the 90 i’m looking into. My gut points me to the 90 for it’s extra functionality, but the overall IQ and reviews of the 65 make me wonder if it would better suit my purpose of shooting flora/insects while including that extra little bit of background.

I would guess the long pole in the tent is whether autofocus is useful to you or not in your intended application.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +4 more
Andre JF
Andre JF Contributing Member • Posts: 538

Brilliant lens, but no substitute for a real macro lens.  Sharpness is incredible. I use it mostly in the close up range. As a portrait lens it is quite difficult to use. Focus is really smooth in the close up range, but as you get longer distances there are really very little movement in the focus ring. The Loxia 85mm is way easier to use around portrait range.

If it is going to be your one and only macro lenses I recommend a real 1:1 macro. Af or manual is a personal taste.

-- hide signature --

Andre JF
AndreJaingam.smugmug.com

Andre JF's gear list:Andre JF's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +11 more
tbpeur01

Thanks Andre - this is super helpful as I've also considered the Loxia 85. Since I would like to use it for portrait on occasion, maybe the Loxia 85 is the way to go and then I could add a true 1:1 like you suggest. Very helpful, thanks!

Andre JF
Andre JF Contributing Member • Posts: 538

These two lenses are qyute differdnt in use and handeling, but quite similar in image quality. Brilliantly sharp, beutifull sunstar, exellent contrast and "3D pop". Incredible build and lovely hangelling. If you pixelpeep way beyond whatever make sense gives the Loxia the edge on sharpness.  Lenses for the decades to come ...

-- hide signature --

Andre JF
AndreJaingam.smugmug.com

Andre JF's gear list:Andre JF's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads