My second lens... what to choose?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Rodrigo Cura New Member • Posts: 2
My second lens... what to choose?

Hello everyone,

03 years ago I bought my Panasonic G7 with the standard Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH Power IOS lens. I am not a professional, but I am excited to use it for personal use such as leisure, travel and family portraits in birthdays and special occasions. After using it for a while, there are some aspects that bother me like the inability to take a selfie with my wife while traveling, the low light resolution, the inability to take pictures in small rooms that cover the whole scene (because this is not a wide angle). Other than that, we will soon be 03 with the arrival of a little princess in our family! Of course we will also be willing to take the best pictures of her (closes... maybe 50cm away?) and record videos as well. What lenses would you recommend?

Thanks! Really appreciate it!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bassam Guy Contributing Member • Posts: 979
Re: My second lens... what to choose?

Rodrigo Cura wrote:

Hello everyone,

03 years ago I bought my Panasonic G7 with the standard Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH Power IOS lens. I am not a professional, but I am excited to use it for personal use such as leisure, travel and family portraits in birthdays and special occasions. After using it for a while, there are some aspects that bother me like the inability to take a selfie with my wife while traveling, the low light resolution, the inability to take pictures in small rooms that cover the whole scene (because this is not a wide angle). Other than that, we will soon be 03 with the arrival of a little princess in our family! Of course we will also be willing to take the best pictures of her (closes... maybe 50cm away?) and record videos as well. What lenses would you recommend?

Price range? Zoom or Prime?

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +5 more
ToxicTabasco
ToxicTabasco Senior Member • Posts: 2,480

I recommend the one you like the most.  Whatever it may be.  OR, get the 200mm f/2.8 and explore wildlife and birds in flight.

ToxicTabasco's gear list:ToxicTabasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon D5500
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 5,521

Firstly congratulations on your upcoming baby girl { she will change your life so much more than you imagine } I would go with a fast prime in your favourite focal length a long range zoom and a prime can be a great combo. Look through your best images and see what focal length they are shot at this will give you a good idea of how you like to shoot .

This free software will allow you to analyse your photos with ease

http://www.vandel.nl/

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +10 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 11,875

14~140 is an incredible lens especially of its lower price nowadays (you might, as I had, paid double of its current price back then).

A very versatile zoom range for most general shooting covering from general wide to telephoto, IQ not far from premium class lens, relatively small and highly portable, there is not many other option can really compare with it.

However, it is not wide enough as you noticed (24mm eq FoV of FF is more like a standard nowadays vs the older standard of 28mm). And the f/3.5ish is also not the best for darker shooting environment.

If just for wider coverage, might consider the 12~32 that is so cheap and small (not a burden to carry) for the closer indoor shooting. If for the lower lighting condition, a prime lens might be needed. 12~100 f/4 has great IQ, but cost a lot, heavy and large and only f/4...

Generally on budget wise there are the f/1.7 from Panny or f/1.8 from Oly. Unfortunately 12mm primes are very expensive. For that reason, I pick Panny Leica 15 f/1.7, a great lens at affordable cost but not as wide as needed. 20 f/1.7, cheaper, good IQ, but narrower than 15 and not good for AFC.

BTW, G6 is an adorable camera at its time but since its release, a lot improvement been made. 1~2 stops more usable high ISO, DUAL IS for more effective stabilisation (1~1.5 stops better than OIS), IBIS for steadier video shooting, better image engine for SOOC jpg, newer features (I can imagine 4K Pre Burst and Post Focus might benefit from following movement of kids?)... Might also worth to consider an upgrade of the body. Your 14~140 is DUAL IS2 supported for the latest IS of Panny.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,574

8-18? Would really complement your current lens.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 1,077

Rodrigo Cura wrote:

Hello everyone,

Get the fastest 12 mm you can afford.

If you want a zoom go PL 8-18.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,978

Rodrigo Cura wrote:

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, any lens wider than your 14mm is going to cost something terrible.

But, the good news is that buying a used Panasonic 20mm f1.7 will not set you back more than about $150 as a used lens.

This lens is about the biggest bargain in fast primes there is for your camera, and it works great on old camera bodies.

The best all around wide and fast lens I own is the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro, which costs about $500 used and nearly twice that brand new.

But for a cheap, fast prime the 20mm Panasonic is hard to beat.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
OP Rodrigo Cura New Member • Posts: 2

Let’s think about 2 situations:

1) USD300 to 600: prime;

2) Up to USD800 zoom;

Does these price range make sense to what we get in the marketplace? Of course the best cost x benefit relation, the better... but I am aiming into a long lasting lenses... so...

thanks

Rodrigo Cura wrote:

2) Up to USD800 zoom;

Does these price range make sense to what we get in the marketplace? Of course the best cost x benefit relation, the better... but I am aiming into a long lasting lenses... so...

thanks

I don't understand what you are trying to say.  Whats your budget?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Pov2 Contributing Member • Posts: 915

Humansvillian wrote:

Rodrigo Cura wrote:

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, any lens wider than your 14mm is going to cost something terrible.

But, the good news is that buying a used Panasonic 20mm f1.7 will not set you back more than about $150 as a used lens.

This lens is about the biggest bargain in fast primes there is for your camera, and it works great on old camera bodies.

The best all around wide and fast lens I own is the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro, which costs about $500 used and nearly twice that brand new.

But for a cheap, fast prime the 20mm Panasonic is hard to beat.

OP, don't buy the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for video. It's not suited for video. Focus is slow and loud. You need something wider anyway.

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 11,875
10~25 f/1.7?

Rodrigo Cura wrote:

2) Up to USD800 zoom;

thanks

If you can stretch the budget.

Reason: The flexibility of a zoom lens, 10mm start should be wide enough for most closer range indoor shooting, f/1.7 be bright enough for a lot of low light shooting, and great DoF control as well...

Or upgrade to G95 & 12-60 (PL version for better low light shooting, or non PL version that is used similar to your 14-140), or the older G85 to save cost (nearly 50% of G95)... It will upgrade both of your G6 altogether.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,978
If video is important buy Olympus 12-40 f2.8

I’ve taken video with my 20mm Panny But it’s noisy.

So is my 25mm Panny f1.7 although not as noisy.

My Olympus 17mm f1.8 is an excellent video lens, but for what they cost you would be close to the Olympus 12-40 Pro f2.8 as a used lens.

There’s a reason an Oly 12-40 Pro costs close to $1,000 as a new lens—they are worth every cent.

But a good used copy or gray market 12-40 Pro is around five hundred.

Then you could have a cheap, fast, sharp Panny 20mm prime too.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
Calmario Junior Member • Posts: 49

The PL 15mm F/1.7 is the perfect lens for your needs. Small fast can take those selfies being wide enough and light .

Calmario's gear list:Calmario's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more

The more I think about it you would be better served with an lx10. Faster lens always available and compliments your g7 14-140.

If you want to use the same battery as the gxy get the lx100 (but there is no flippy screen.}

burritosandbeer Regular Member • Posts: 217

If the budget allows, I would seriously consider the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 zoom.

You can get the Original or the II for a pretty reasonable price, and at 12mm f/2.8, you'll get significantly more light for selfies, be a bit wider (16% or so?) and be able to focus in as close as 25cm or so.  Then at 35mm f/2.8 you will be able to render some out of focus backgrounds fairly easily for better portraits as your daughter grows!

great picture quality, better light, and fixed aperture are all good!

From a dad of 4 daughters, they're awesome!  You wont believe the adventures you are getting ready for!

burritosandbeer's gear list:burritosandbeer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
TRP Senior Member • Posts: 1,020

Rodrigo Cura wrote:

2) Up to USD800 zoom;

thanks

First - buy used of you can to stretch your dollars.

Second - I would recommend any of the following:

Panasonic Leica 12-60 f2.8-4. This has been a very versatile lens for me taking pictures of my little on or traveling

Panasonic 8-18 f/2.8-4. A more recent purchase for me and has already seen a lot of use. Most think of as landscape lens but I have used it for some great tight quarters group shots

Sigma 56 f1.4. an absolutely incredible portrait lens. A little long on the focal length but works well for children.

You may also want to consider the discontinued 14mm f/2.5 for a bargain or the Panasonic 15mm. The sigma 16mm is also amazing but very large in comparison.

Buying those above should keep you in your price range and you may be able to get two (56 and 14) for that range

-- hide signature --

http://www.Greinerstudio.com
---
Olympus O-MD E-M1 ii
Panasonic Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4
Olympus 60 f/2.8 macro
Olympus Pro 40-150 f/2.8
Pansonic Leica 100-400 f/4-6.3
Olympus 300mm f/4
Laowa 7.5mm f/2
Sigma 30mm f/1.4

cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 4,293

Rodrigo Cura wrote:

Hello everyone,

It sounds like you need a wide angle zoom, available choices are.

Panasonic 7-14mm f4

Olympus 7-14mm f2.8

Panasonic 8-18mm f2.8-f4

Olympus 9-18 f4-5.6 and the cheapest amongst these lenses.

Any of these lenses will compliment what you already have, not replace them, they will cover the whole scene in rooms, low light will be better on the fixed aperture lenses, there are primes that will give you better low light resolution, but will not allow you to shoot a a scene in a room.

Check out a few video reviews to get a feel of what these lenses can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdxJD0uc620

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBqVfFFN0HI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m0yIhjnE5A&t=25s

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-PL8 +12 more
motormatic New Member • Posts: 21

For a wider lens for interiors or selfies, the Panasonic 7-14/4 is a great choice if you can afford it. It picks up where your current lens stops and then can cover up to 4x the area. In fact 7mm is as wide as you can get in a m43 lens.

For low light, you will need a prime lens. The Panasonic 25/1.7 will do the job at low cost but it's not a wide angle...it's what used to be called a "normal" lens. There are many other options for high speed lenses but they will all cost a lot more, especially the wide angle options.

I'd avoid any of the pro lenses unless you have a large budget (I'm guessing no) and would avoid the 12-32 zoom just to get 12mm. While the 7-14 is more expensive, the wider angle is worth it.

To sum up, my recommendation is the 7-14/4 and the 25/1.7.

Smaug01
Smaug01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,944
^ This is the correct answer

Calmario wrote:

The PL 15mm F/1.7 is the perfect lens for your needs. Small fast can take those selfies being wide enough and light .

15 mm is wide enough for selfies, and it focuses close enough. But that's not the main thing. It's hard to beat a cell phone's back camera for selfies. You won't be taking as many selfies now with the kid.

It is also a small lens, so sometimes, you will leave the house only with this lens on the camera. The rig becomes so much easier to carry. You will appreciate that more when you're carrying diapers, wipes and formula everywhere with you.

The main thing is that it is properly fast, and with no optical compromises like you'd have in a zoom. Not like these f/2.8 and f/4 zooms others are talking about. it is 2-3 stops faster than your current lens. The difference that makes in indoor shots without flash is amazing.

This will not eat up your full budget, so I will recommend a couple other items to add:

• A good quality table-top tripod, like Bogen. This is the right tool for selfies, as you won't have that stretched arm look or your head being bigger than everyone else's.  Set the countdown timer and have it take three shots at the end. When traveling, this tripod will allow you to brace the camera against railings and columns for lower light shots. ($70 here )
  • A simple ultra wide angle lens. With these lenses, autofocus tends not to be as much of an issue, so you can save some money here with either the Olympus f/8 Body Cap Fisheye (which there is ALWAYS room for in your bag) or the Rokinon manual focus fisheye. Aperture priority or manual only, and manual focus, but you don't really need to focus this lens except for the first time, since DoF is so great. ($200 or less)

You can probably afford all three of these items in your budget, esp. if you get the 15/1.7 and Rokinon fisheye used.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads