Panasonic LUMIX S1R vs Epson V800 scanner | Which is the best way to scan film negatives?

Started Sep 15, 2019 | User reviews
Darryl Carey New Member • Posts: 1
Panasonic LUMIX S1R vs Epson V800 scanner | Which is the best way to scan film negatives?

Scanning Negatives with the Panasonic LUMIX S1R better than the Epson V800?

Download link to raw files in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRuM1CQqpps

Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R
47 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Feb 1, 2019
Darryl Carey's score
Average community score
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 32,283
Re: Panasonic LUMIX S1R vs Epson V800 scanner | Which is the best way to scan film negatives?

I would scan colour negs with the scanner, as it has conversion software to deal with the orange mask.

I would scan B&W negs with a high res camera as it is 10x faster. But you do need a macro lens designed to give excellent results at 1:1.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 6,018
Re: Panasonic LUMIX S1R vs Epson V800 scanner | Which is the best way to scan film negatives?

I remember reading some time ago in Eos magazine that Canon recommended a dedicated scanner for negative and slides, rather than using a camers as a duplication system.

Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 32,283

Macro guy wrote:

I remember reading some time ago in Eos magazine that Canon recommended a dedicated scanner for negative and slides, rather than using a camera as a duplication system.

That might have been back before we had high resolution sensors. The best Epson scanners resolve about 3500 dpi, and a 40 Megapixel Bayer camera sensor (or a 25 Mpix Foveon) does about the same.

The serious dedicated film scanners are so far as I know all discontinued.

Mounted slides don't do well in a flat-bed scanner, because the thickness of the mounts varies, and thee is no way to critically focus as there is in a camera.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads