How do you like your TZ200 / ZS200?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Renatab New Member • Posts: 17
How do you like your TZ200 / ZS200?

I bought the TZ200 a few weeks ago because of the large zoom. I was very disappointed at the soft colours. When I set the photo style on Vivid, it was better, but the colours were still by far not as bright as my Canon G7X. Especially when zooming in. Luckily I could return it.

Now I am reading lot of different stories about the TZ200. A lot of people (especially reviewers) love it, some are disappointed and some think it is great after adjusting the settings (mostly to NR to -5, contrast and sharpness to +2). So now I am thinking about buying it again.

Do you own a TZ200 and what are your experiences? Did you adjust the settings (if yes, how) and how did it work out?

I understand I can't get the same quality as the G7x but I am willing to accept a bit less (but not way less).

Why I sold my Canon G7X? I used it on a safari in Namibia and was very disappointed at the zoom range. That's why I want more zoom. I understand the 360 mm is not enough for some people on safari but because I want a small, light weight camera (that I will also use on other days and vacations) I am willing to compromise. And the 15x zoom of the TZ200 is alreahy way better than the 4x zoom on the G7X, I think.

I also read all the TZ200's don't have the same lens quality, so I guess you also have to be a bit lucky.

Thanks for your replies!

Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Anders_K Contributing Member • Posts: 530
Re: How do you like your TZ200 / ZS200?

My 5 cents.

One can burn a lot of money by buying and selling cameras just because one does not realize that there is no one-for-all camera in the market. That said why don't you keep yout TZ200 and complement it with a FZ300 which is a bargain right now?

I am currently testing the acclaimed Sony RX100 VI and while it is a good allrounder I cannot use it for macro and zooming - 8 cm minimal focus distance is not close enough, and 8.3x zoom is just not far enough. Bah!

OP Renatab New Member • Posts: 17

Thanks. I am more and more starting to realise there is no perfect camera. 

I was thinking about buying two cameras too. But the TZ200 is already expensive, maybe then I'll buy the TZ100 instead. I don't know if people also have better experiences with that one than with the TZ100.

For zoom I would combine it with the TZ95 I think, because it is a lot smaller than the FZ300. Or is it not as good?

Also considered the RX100 VI like you but for me also not enough zoom.

Good luck on testing!

123dy Regular Member • Posts: 218

Speaking as your everyday tourist/snapshooter user, I'd say the the TZ200 is the best camera ever.

Once you've set up the Photo Styles to your liking you can leave it in P mode most of the time and just snap away.

The zoom is fast and responsive and the controls are just where you need them.

Image stablisation is excellent, but the camera doesn't automatically make best use of it. Left to its own devices, in low light it prefers to increase ISO rather than allow a longer shutter speed.

At maximum 360mm zoom the TZ200 can get a shake-free handheld  shot at 1/10 second 9 times out of 10; but if you have the camera in P mode and with auto ISO, it will be raising ISO long before it gets to such a slow shutter speed.

To get to the slow shutter speeds you need to either turn off auto ISO or switch to shutter priority mode.

Note also that image quality falls off very slightly at the longer end of the zoom. If you have a particular interest in, say, wildlife photography then you'll want something with a big lens that can stay super-sharp and wide right out to 400mm or whatever.

In bad light (near darkness) auto focus at the long end of the zoom is not good either, although it's fine at the short end.

Thanks, good to hear a positive review!
So you don't have the soft lens problem or adjusted any other settings?

Here you can see a few pictures I made. As you can see the colors are very soft, especially when zoomed in. In the Vivid photo style it was better but still way too soft for me. Is your TZ200 better or the same?

24 mm

360 mm

360 mm, photo style Vivid

I've posted several pics from my TZ200 to this forum, all at full size so that anyone who's interested can download them and examine them in their favourite image editor.

You can see some of them in my dpr gallery. All except 1110292 are from the TZ200, and most of them are at the longer end of the zoom.

I also put up a flicker gallery after my first trip with the TZ200 which you can find at the link below. I keep meaning to add some more galleries, just haven't got around to it yet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159584214@N05/sets/72157674439513277

Thanks! The Flickr pictures look very good. Unfortunately I can't see which ones have full zoom. The ones with the horses and carriage look very soft so that must be zoomed in. Any others as far as you rembemer?

The exif data is in the pictures. The horse and carriage ones were taken at about half distance, but they were taken in the mist. Perhaps that it is why look soft to you?

I'll upload some more pics at 100mm (equiv 270mm) and post the link.

Oh it's the mist :-). Thanks in advance, love to see more long zoom pics!

jim mij Regular Member • Posts: 233

Hi, I’ve had mine a year now, previously a tz100 before that, and a Sony. 6000 before that, and a canon something before that, you may Sense a Trend in downsizing, or perhaps in upgrading

as a side note I’ve been tidying up years and years of photos recently, the Sony had the best iq, the pani’s the best photos

I’ve been happy with all, especially the 200. It does what I need from day 1, but I’d read this forum before I bought  it and set it up accordingly including using. the custom setting.. jpg works I’ve tried raw but not needed it

as most folks in this site I toy with the idea of upgrading, a ff with 600mm lens appeals if only it could be shrunk a lot, similarly an m50 Or m6v2 with a few lenses if I had one of those holdall bags from hogwarts to keep it all in.. or perhaps next years iPhone

So basically my head overrules my heart and the tz200 keeps me happy while shooting editing and viewing.

Good luck with your choices

Regards
Jim

jim mij's gear list:jim mij's gear list
Canon EOS M100 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Anders_K Contributing Member • Posts: 530

Renatab wrote:

For zoom I would combine it with the TZ95 I think, because it is a lot smaller than the FZ300. Or is it not as good?

The FZ300 is ways better than the TZ9x (I own the TZ91 and had the FZ300 before I gave it to my son, so I know what I am talking about).

You'll love the viewfinder alone.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159584214@N05/albums/72157710801463868

A mix of shots taken at all sorts of distances, but all at focal length of 100mm or more (equiv about 270mm). Should give you an idea whether the TZ200 is what you're looking for.

My current picture settings are shown below, but some of these have changed over the time I've owned the camera.

Contrast +1, Sharpness +5, NR -5, Saturation +2, global setting: Vivid, iResolution: Standard

Thanks so much, You make beautiful pictures and I am really impressed by the quality!

Also happy with the settings, guess I will have to give the TZ200 another try...

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,359

I bought one in Spring, thinking it would be great for a pocket camera to replace my Canon S120.  On specs it fit the bill nicely.  But I had to return it for the soft lens.  I'd previously tried 2 LX10 models and had the same issue.  With them it was inconsistent - decent at some focal lengths, soft at others.  With the TZ200 it was simply soft at any FL and one side was consistently worse than the other.

-- hide signature --

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
It's fun being me -- Denny Crane.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +5 more

O that's too bad. Did you try the settings adviced on the forum?

telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,463

Renatab wrote:

O that's too bad. Did you try the settings adviced on the forum?

One cannot just keep adding salt to a tasteless dish...

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm X-A5 +5 more
Boombuia Regular Member • Posts: 163

I'm happy with it - yes, it is softer than others (I also use m43 with prime lenses).

But I think that's the only 'weakness' - and it is not a deal-breaker, at least not for me. This is my go-to camera for family outings, and its lens focal lengths and its portability are really key. I could look for, and find, softness in every picture taken, but why do that? I share my pictures with my friends and family online and by phone, and we print 8x6 sizes. Lens softness is a non-issue.

And I'm most impressed with the raw processing latitude. I know you could tweak the JPG engine to your liking, but I like to work on the raw versions. See quick example here:

Out of camera JPG

RAW processed in Lightroom

Boombuia's gear list:Boombuia's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +8 more
Maxmolly7
Maxmolly7 Regular Member • Posts: 417

I have the camera since it was introduced last year.
Since then I have not used my system camera at all, so it must work good enough for me and my photography needs.
I also make use of RAW mode and development in Lightroom to optimize IQ.

No doubt that overall image quality and detail rendering is better with a larger sensor than 1" and higher resolving lenses, but I can have this small camera with me at all times with no lens changes or, extra bulk.
I also realized that I do not require top image quality, sometimes less is much better...

-- hide signature --

May THE LIGHT be with you!

Maxmolly7's gear list:Maxmolly7's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M +14 more
bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,951

I love my TZ200. I can carry it almost anywhere, in a pocket of cargo pants or in a coat pocket. I often use the full 360mm of zoom. The lens of my copy is NOT "soft" at all.

Other than that recommendation, I can't add to the excellent suggestions in this thread. Personally, when I shoot JEPG I like NR -5, contrast+2, sharpness +2. Then I will often (not always) add a little sharpening when I process keepers.

Were my DSLR cameras, with their expensive lenses, slightly better? I can't recall, but they weren't a lot better. Is my current FZ1000 better? Maybe, but the difference is small enough so the FZ1000 stays on the shelf most of the time now.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,463

bill hansen wrote:

I love my TZ200. I can carry it almost anywhere, in a pocket of cargo pants or in a coat pocket. I often use the full 360mm of zoom. The lens of my copy is NOT "soft" at all.

Other than that recommendation, I can't add to the excellent suggestions in this thread. Personally, when I shoot JEPG I like NR -5, contrast+2, sharpness +2. Then I will often (not always) add a little sharpening when I process keepers.

Were my DSLR cameras, with their expensive lenses, slightly better? I can't recall, but they weren't a lot better. Is my current FZ1000 better? Maybe, but the difference is small enough so the FZ1000 stays on the shelf most of the time now.

Thing is, if none of you guys ever makes a side-by-side comparison with your trusty dslr, then no one will ever know how gow much better or worse the TZ200 is. I've seen real-life shots that look pretty good, except at the longest end...

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm X-A5 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads