Sharpness

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
RedDog Steve
RedDog Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,792
Re: Sharpness

kcdogger wrote:

Looking for opinions. How would you rate these lenses for sharpness in everyday use on m4/3?

Olympus M/Zuiko 45mm f1.8

Olympus Zuiko 50mm f2 Macro (on adapter for m/43)

Sigma 60mm f2.8

Olympus M/Zuiko 75mm f1.8

Which would you say is the sharpest? Which the least sharp? P;ease stay with these four. OTOH, which, in your opinion is the sharpest m4/3 lens in the system.

According to DXO lens tests the Nocticron is the sharpest lens in the system of the lenses they have tested.
Followed closely by the 75mm f/1:1.8 (and the "Leica" 15mm f/1:1.7).

Unfortunately the partnership between DPR and DXO for lens testing hasn't been as productive as might have been expected, they seem to be rather slow to test new lens releases.
I'd expect the above results to change based on more recent M.Zuiko PRO lenses if/when DPR provides samples to DXO to test.

The Sigma is a few notches below the 42.5mm and 75mm and the 45/1.8 is a couple below that.

I have the 75/1.8 and it is indeed quite sharp.

The bluetail was shot through a glass door, so probably not the best example.

-- hide signature --

I'm not a perfectionist, I'm a precisionist.
rd

RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II +15 more
ColdEd Regular Member • Posts: 170

addlightness wrote:

75 > 60 > 45

Don't have the 50/2

What about Sigma 30/1.4? It's right there with the 75.

As I said in my post, I have the Sigma 30 (but not the 60). The 30mm is very sharp and love using that lens.

ColdEd's gear list:ColdEd's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
OP kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,449

RedDog Steve wrote:

I have the 75/1.8 and it is indeed quite sharp.

The bluetail was shot through a glass door, so probably not the best example.

Glass door or not. It is still very sharp.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P610 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS100 +24 more
OP kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,449
Re: Sharpness - The Results

Thank you to all who responded to this very unscientific opinion survey about sharpness.  I have unscientifically compiled the results, the "non-mentions." and the votes for overall sharpest m4/3 lenses.

Of the four lenses in the original post -

the Oly 75 was cited  as the sharpest - no surprises there, 4 people did not mention it

the 4/3 Oly 50 macro came in a close second - 7 people did not mention it

the Sigma 60 f2.8 and the Oly 45 f1.8 were essentially tied.  However, the 45 had only 3 non-mentions, and the Sigma 60 had 9 non-mentions.  It seems people are much more familiar with the Oly 45 then they are with the Sigma 60.  The votes for the 45 were spread over the range of 1-4, with concentration in the 2 and 3 position,  The votes for the Sigma were also concentrated in the 2 and 3 positions, but with fewer total votes.

Of those folks voting for the sharpest lens in the system, there was no consensus.  The following were mentioned in no particular order:

Sigma 30 f1.4 - 2X

Sigma 35 f1.4

Sigma 56 f1.4

42.5 Nocticron

Oly? 17 Pro

Oly 300 f4

Oly 45 f1.2

Oly 75 f1.8

Oly 60 macro

So these results are just your opinions and I'm sure ALL of the lenses are very sharp, and I would not feel under-gunned with any of these fine lenses.

Thank you, once again, for participating in this very  unscientific opinion poll.  Now let's go out and shoot some great pictures with theses superbly sharp lenses.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P610 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS100 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads