Chasing Lavender in Provence, C&C Welcome

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
mreynolds767
mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 3,090
Chasing Lavender in Provence, C&C Welcome

Welcome any comments, suggestions, different crops etc... on this series.

Would also love to know which is your favorite or couple of favorites as I am debating between a few over which to have printed for a show opportunity.

1.) Purple HIlls

2.) Purple Haze

3.) Round Tree Hill

4.) 3 Amigos

5.) Lavender Heights

6.) Solitude

7.) The Abbey

8.) Lavender Sky

Bonus image, when I was looking at the first one I realized it makes a nice pano crop. Was not shot this way, just cropped from #1. I won't keep both #1 and #9

9.) Purple Hills Pano

Thanks for viewing.

-- hide signature --
 mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony a7R II
BSiler Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Chasing Lavender in Provence, C&C Welcome

Those are exquisite!  For what it's worth, you posted them pretty much in my order of preference.  One and two are my favorites.

BSiler's gear list:BSiler's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
tarakanchik Contributing Member • Posts: 986

Wow, these are awesome!  I was there this summer (late July) looking for these exact locations/shots and by the time I got there it was dull and barren... When did you take these?

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

mreynolds767
OP mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 3,090

BSiler wrote:

Those are exquisite! For what it's worth, you posted them pretty much in my order of preference. One and two are my favorites.

Thanks so much BSiler!

-- hide signature --
Sony a7R II
mreynolds767

tarakanchik wrote:

Wow, these are awesome! I was there this summer (late July) looking for these exact locations/shots and by the time I got there it was dull and barren... When did you take these?

Thanks!  July 3rd-10th

Around the 12th they start harvesting (cutting) the fields so the window is quite short

some areas at higher elevation bloom a little later than the plateau spots

-- hide signature --
Sony a7R II
CeeDave
CeeDave Senior Member • Posts: 1,407

Very, very nice photos. I think the ones in which the lavender is well lit, so the color is vibrant, are the best (2, 3, 5, sorta 6). To me, even the stars don’t make up for less vivid lavender.

-- hide signature --

Chris
A couple of Fuji cameras and assorted X-mount and adapted primes

mreynolds767 wrote:

tarakanchik wrote:

Wow, these are awesome! I was there this summer (late July) looking for these exact locations/shots and by the time I got there it was dull and barren... When did you take these?

Thanks! July 3rd-10th

Around the 12th they start harvesting (cutting) the fields so the window is quite short

some areas at higher elevation bloom a little later than the plateau spots

Ah good to know... wish I asked around before I went.  Nonetheless, beautiful place!

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

mreynolds767

CeeDave wrote:

Very, very nice photos. I think the ones in which the lavender is well lit, so the color is vibrant, are the best (2, 3, 5, sorta 6). To me, even the stars don’t make up for less vivid lavender.

Thanks CeeDave!

-- hide signature --
Sony a7R II
mreynolds767

tarakanchik wrote:

Ah good to know... wish I asked around before I went. Nonetheless, beautiful place!

If you go again, research ahead of time the date of the Lavender Festival or Harvest Festival ; the different towns/areas will have different small festivals on different days.

The fields will be cut in preparation for the Festival a day or 2 prior. The festival celebrates the actual crop, not the beauty of the fields. So ideally you want to be there 1 week before the festival day for best bloom time and nothing cut yet ; too early and the fields are a mix of green and purple which you don't want either.

-- hide signature --
Sony a7R II

Man, wish I thought of this.  Thanks for the advice!

-- hide signature --

razorblaydesjr
razorblaydesjr Forum Member • Posts: 64

Just gorgeous!!!

4, 7, and 8 are my favorites... in this order.

-- hide signature --

Keep up with my journey on IG @razorblaydes_photo

razorblaydesjr's gear list:razorblaydesjr's gear list
Sony a7R III Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 8,632

Beautiful Photos.  There is a lavender farm outside Santa Fe NM(40 miles) in Abiquiu, NM.  It closes October through February.  The owner went to France to get educated on growing lavender, and has been quite successful.  gc

sabrina81
sabrina81 Senior Member • Posts: 5,466

Winners all! Really superior work. On #7 The Abbey, I would selectively brighten the lavender just a little bit.

tripleC
tripleC Senior Member • Posts: 1,675

All I can say is Wow, Excellent and what sabrina said.

tripleC's gear list:tripleC's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
peter826 Regular Member • Posts: 444

Absolutely beautiful.  I was in Valensole and Gordes two years ago, but also missed peak lavender.  There were 2-3 ratty fields left, which I photographed, but nothing like what you have.

I read that the farmers are starting get very tired of all the instagrammers and photo shoots in their fields, there was a photo of one field where they had hung a banner on the tree so that photos would in theory be ruined.  I wonder if you ran into that?

I'll probably go back (I visit France about every other summer), but will certainly go earlier in July next time.

peter826's gear list:peter826's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Sony a7R Sony a6000 Sony a7R II +5 more
mreynolds767

GCam wrote:

Beautiful Photos. There is a lavender farm outside Santa Fe NM(40 miles) in Abiquiu, NM. It closes October through February. The owner went to France to get educated on growing lavender, and has been quite successful. gc

Thanks GC!

I imagine the process could be duplicated elsewhere with similar climates.  Around me there are sunflower fields but rare to see Lavender fields like they have in Provence or Tulip fields like they have in Holland.

-- hide signature --
Sony a7R II
mreynolds767

sabrina81 wrote:

Winners all! Really superior work. On #7 The Abbey, I would selectively brighten the lavender just a little bit.

Thanks Sabrina!

I definitely gave some consideration to selectively lightening on the lavender more in #7 but I did already do that and had to restrain myself as it was quite dark at sunset when I took this photo so I already as presented have the lavender brighter than I feel it was in reality at that time.

The Abbey is in a odd spot up on a hill/small mountain so gets no direct sunlight at sunrise or sunset.

I will take another look at it though, I often can convince myself to alter the light a bit for the better final image.

-- hide signature --
Sony a7R II
SRS_Photography Regular Member • Posts: 346

I like all, except No. 3. It is actually clever, but I am not sure people will buy that image.

SRS_Photography's gear list:SRS_Photography's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Garthom Regular Member • Posts: 224

Great shots...#4 and #6 are my favorites. I really like the light and composition of #3, but IMO the tree just isn't tall enough. If it were tall enough to see some of the trunk and the full crown from that angle, it might be my favorite of the set.

Since someone else mentioned other lavender farms: I haven't been, but I know there's a lavender-growing region on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. I've always thought a lavender + Olympic NP trip could be awesome for getting a variety of good landscapes in 1 trip.

sabrina81
sabrina81 Senior Member • Posts: 5,466

mreynolds767 wrote:

sabrina81 wrote:

Thanks Sabrina!

I definitely gave some consideration to selectively lightening on the lavender more in #7 but I did already do that and had to restrain myself as it was quite dark at sunset when I took this photo so I already as presented have the lavender brighter than I feel it was in reality at that time.

Yes, it would take a subtle touch -- bringing up the highlights without opening shadow details. Something like this:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads