Panasonic LX100 II vs Olympus O-MD E-M1 MK2

Started 1 week ago | Questions
Danny O Junior Member • Posts: 36
Panasonic LX100 II vs Olympus O-MD E-M1 MK2

Hello everybody

I know that Olympus is a real pro camera with great usability and robustness, and I know the benefit of interchanging lenses.

But regarding only IQ and ISO performance, do you think there are great differences between an LX100M2 Camera and Em1-2 with 20-70 pro (aside the little more resolution) ?

-- hide signature --

?Redo from start

Danny O's gear list:Danny O's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II
ANSWER:
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 13,087
Re: Panasonic LX100 II vs Olympus O-MD E-M1 MK2

All cameras have good iq. But not all cameras can get the required shot.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

Po Sen Tsui Regular Member • Posts: 195

Danny O wrote:

Hello everybody

I know that Olympus is a real pro camera with great usability and robustness, and I know the benefit of interchanging lenses.

But regarding only IQ and ISO performance, do you think there are great differences between an LX100M2 Camera and Em1-2 with 20-70 pro (aside the little more resolution) ?

The strange thing about the LX100 camera is that it has a 43 sensor in it but will not use the entire sensor to make an image, therefore, technically, it has a smaller sensor size and will be weaker in high ISO performance compare to a regular M43 camera. That being said, is the difference huge? It depends on one's acceptance of noise in images.

However, if you only need good still IQ and don't need the advance features in the EM1 MK2, with the price point of the LX100 MK2, I will strongly advice you to get the EM10 MK3 or even wait for the EM5 MK3 instead. Both of them are relatively compact in size and will utilize the full 43 sensor, plus the flexibility of an ILC system. If size really does matter, I personally will pick the EPL9 over the LX100 MK2, it is much cheaper and should still provide better results.

-- hide signature --

Not an expert, not a pro, I just shoot for fun

Po Sen Tsui's gear list:Po Sen Tsui's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT

One more thing to add is with the Olympus 5 axis IBIS, you can shoot with a much slower shutter speed and therefore lower ISO and lower noise level.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,519
 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 11,407

IQ is not everything. Very often the flexibility on a lens for particular job, the willingness to swap lenses, the cost concerned, the ergonomic, features, shooting enevlops, portability etc will determine which is better for you.

M43 ILCs has the advantage of 2 major players, has full range of classes from entry to pto class that there must be one for you. A lot of body sizes to pick from, in RF & dslr form factors... Best of all, IQ from the top and bottom models are not day and night different...

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,601

Po Sen Tsui wrote:

One more thing to add is with the Olympus 5 axis IBIS, you can shoot with a much slower shutter speed and therefore lower ISO and lower noise level.

Provided you aren’t limited by motion blur.

IBIS helps with camera shake but not with motion blur.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,601

Danny O wrote:

Hello everybody

Are you actually trying to decide which of these two cameras to buy?

These are totally different cameras for totally different purposes.  Any small differences in image quality will be a long, long way down the list of reasons to choose one over the other.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

Chris R-UK wrote:

Po Sen Tsui wrote:

Provided you aren’t limited by motion blur.

IBIS helps with camera shake but not with motion blur.

Yep, but generally speaking i find it very useful, especially night time cityscape when you don't have a tripod.

-- hide signature --

OP Danny O Junior Member • Posts: 36

Thanks everybody for your help. I just bought an LX100M2 but i have got a relatively good offer for an E-M1.
Although the IQ seems a little better, maybe for the price will not worth to do it. I am not a pro.

-- hide signature --

?Redo from start

Danny O's gear list:Danny O's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II
grsnovi
grsnovi Regular Member • Posts: 369

I have the original LX100 which I purchased (primarily) because of the ergonomic layout of the physical controls - they are identical to a 50 year old film camera. I don't like hunting for options on a menu. I have been using the LX100 for travel as I tend not to want to lug lenses around or swap lenses while enjoying a vacation. I recently purchased a Lumix GX85 and a couple of lenses. It's too soon to tell if I'll prefer the GX85 over the Sony A-65 (of which I have 2 bodies). As has been mentioned the differences between the form factor of the LX100 and the O-MD would outweigh the likely minimal differences you'd see in image quality (assuming equivalent lenses).

grsnovi's gear list:grsnovi's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic LX100 Sony SLT-A65 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +8 more
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 1,833

I quite understand the dilemn between a high end compact loke LX100/200 or buying into M43.

I am the happy owner of a bunch of Panasonic M43 gear:

• 3 bodies: GX8 + GM5 + G7
  •  4 f3.5(4) - 5.6 zooms: 12-32, 35-100, 12-60 and 14-140
  • 3 f1.7 primes, 20, 25 and 42.5
  • Plus the Olympus 9mm f8 bodycap fish eye

I also own:

• a Pentax K3 DSLR, with too many lenses, (see my gear list for details ), including the very nice Pentax DA limited primes. But this heavy and cumbersome set doesnt get much use since I have the M43 gear.
  • And two fully pocketable compacts,  an Olympus XZ 10 and a Panasonic LF1.

I often wonder what would be the most enjoyable way to extend my shooting envelope in the transtandard zoom range:

1. Adding the Panasonic  12-35 f2.8 to my M43 gear. Pro: will mount on all my M43 bodies, the excellent GX8 as Well as the tiny GM5; is said to offer excellent IQ. Con: bigger than I would like, and expensive
  2. Replacing the 12-60 f3.5-5.6 by the Pana-Leica 12-60 f2.8-4. Pro: I like the focal range. Con: only f4 across most of its range; expensive, though cheaper than the 12-35 f2.8. Bigger and heavier than the 12-60 f3.5-5.6.
  3. Buying the Olympus 12-100 f4. Pro: the focal range would cover almost all my needs in a single high quality pro grade lens; the IQ seems highly praised. Con: huge, heavy and very expensive; I have no clue about how its in- lens OIS works on Panasonic bodies; though more expensive, a two f2.8 zooms kit 12-35 + 35-100 could better suit my expectations, each lens being noticeably smaller and lighter,  and 1 stop faster.
  4. Buying a Panasonic LX100 or LX200. Pro: will offer the same shooting envelope and roughly the same sensor size as the 12-35 f2.8, with an excellent ergonomy; not much bigger than the 12-35 f2.8 alone; can be used standalone and is about same size and weight than my GM5 + 12-32, but with a much brighter lens. Con: seems prone to dust on sensor, which needs professional servicing to clean it.
  5. Buying a Sony RX100-3 or 4. Pro: roughly the same shooting envelope as the LX100/200, in a pocketable body. Con: I dont like the ergonomy and the folding viewfinder doesnt seem very rugged.
-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +23 more
grsnovi
grsnovi Regular Member • Posts: 369

Tatouzou wrote:

...Buying a Panasonic LX100 or LX200...

While many of us hoped for an LX200, Panasonic released a LX100ii - so technically there still isn't an LX200 (and likely won't be). I didn't feel the LX100ii offered enough value over the version I had, so after about a year I picked up a used GX85 (because the GX9's seemed to be becoming scare and I didn't want the kit lens). I assume that once the GX9 replacement becomes available there will be GX9 body-only offers.

grsnovi's gear list:grsnovi's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic LX100 Sony SLT-A65 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +8 more
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 1,833

grsnovi wrote:

Tatouzou wrote:

...Buying a Panasonic LX100 or LX200...

While many of us hoped for an LX200, Panasonic released a LX100ii - so technically there still isn't an LX200 (and likely won't be). I didn't feel the LX100ii offered enough value over the version I had, so after about a year I picked up a used GX85 (because the GX9's seemed to be becoming scare and I didn't want the kit lens). I assume that once the GX9 replacement becomes available there will be GX9 body-only offers.

My mistake, I should have written LX100-II instead of LX200.

The main idea in my post was that I understood the dilemn between buying a high end compact or adding a fast transtandard zoom to my M43 gear.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +23 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,202

Danny O wrote:

Thanks everybody for your help. I just bought an LX100M2 but i have got a relatively good offer for an E-M1.
Although the IQ seems a little better, maybe for the price will not worth to do it. I am not a pro.

E-M1ii represents a commitment to mastering the menu and its operation, which is no small task but will reward with better (larger, more detailed) images from more challenging circumstances.

Not sure what you are referencing as the 20-70 lens. Standard zoom is usually the 12-40/2.8 Pro.

No reason it can't coexist with an LX100, because it's a different tool for different times.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 559

I have an E-M5 II and an LX100 II, so not the exact comparison you’re looking for, but I understand the IQ differences between the 16MP chip in the E-M5 II and the 20MP chip in the E-M1 II are fairly minor.

From my experience, the difference between the E-M5 II with the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 and the LX100 II isn’t noticeable below ISO 1600 or so. Above that, the E-M5 II is maybe a half stop better. The one thing to keep a look out for with the LX100 II is that the lens can flare dramatically with strong light sources in frame, which does affect IQ substantially (I posted a review of the camera a couple months ago with examples, if you want to search for it).

But the practical noise difference can be substantial, since I can often use a stop or 2 lower ISO with the E-M5 II due to IBIS. Whatever stabilization the LX100 II has isn’t good. You need good shot discipline because it’s a very light camera and it’s really easy to induce wobble without IBIS to counter.

That all being said - the IQ is good enough that I’ve printed 16x20’s and have been quite happy. The vast majority of my photos over the last 10 months have been with the LX100 II because of its practically silent shutter, small and light form factor (making it easier to throw in the bag and take with me), ability to sync flash up to 1/2000th, multi aspect sensor, and great controls (lack of an articulated/tilting screen aside) make it really great and versatile to use,

sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,535

Danny O wrote:

If the LX100M2 does what you want, and you enjoy using it, no need to be tempted by a camera that might be bulkier and more complex than you want or need. As much as I love the E-M1 Mkii, not everyone needs what it offers (I'm talking about features beyond image quality). There are interchangeable lens cameras in m4/3 that will be closer in price and features to the LX100M2, but it's not even necessary to go there if the LX100 covers the range of focal lengths you want.

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,093

Po Sen Tsui wrote:

Danny O wrote:

Hello everybody

The strange thing about the LX100 camera is that it has a 43 sensor in it but will not use the entire sensor to make an image, therefore, technically, it has a smaller sensor size and will be weaker in high ISO performance compare to a regular M43 camera. That being said, is the difference huge? It depends on one's acceptance of noise in images.

However, if you only need good still IQ and don't need the advance features in the EM1 MK2, with the price point of the LX100 MK2, I will strongly advice you to get the EM10 MK3 or even wait for the EM5 MK3 instead. Both of them are relatively compact in size and will utilize the full 43 sensor, plus the flexibility of an ILC system. If size really does matter, I personally will pick the EPL9 over the LX100 MK2, it is much cheaper and should still provide better results.

Good point. The smaller Olympus bodies are not that much larger than the LX 100.

Here's a pic of my LX100.1 next to my E-M10 II. The LX100 with lens is 14 oz. and the E-M10 11 is 17 oz. with 14-42EZ. I use them both, but the E-M10 II gets the nod most often when I need a small travel camera . My recent fishing trip to the north woods found the E-M10 II, 14-150, and 8mm FE in a small bag, that fit into my tackle bag for a personal item on the flights.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
BruceRH Senior Member • Posts: 1,660

gary0319 wrote:

Po Sen Tsui wrote:

Danny O wrote:

Hello everybody

Good point. The smaller Olympus bodies are not that much larger than the LX 100.

Here's a pic of my LX100.1 next to my E-M10 II. The LX100 with lens is 14 oz. and the E-M10 11 is 17 oz. with 14-42EZ. I use them both, but the E-M10 II gets the nod most often when I need a small travel camera . My recent fishing trip to the north woods found the E-M10 II, 14-150, and 8mm FE in a small bag, that fit into my tackle bag for a personal item on the flights.

Great image! I need to go fishing  I love fishing because it is fun to catch but I get just as much enjoyment out of the scenery!

BruceRH's gear list:BruceRH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +22 more
TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,146

gary0319 wrote:

Po Sen Tsui wrote:

Danny O wrote:

Hello everybody

The small bodies aren't that much larger, but the small zooms are much slower, and the fast zooms are much bigger. That erodes the advantage of something like an EM10. If you're happy with the zoom range, the LX100 is a pretty strong contender.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads