What's really important in photography...???

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
kiwi2
kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,542
What's really important in photography...???

Reading through some of this thread a few days ago had me shaking my head as it was just like watching some Ken Wheeler Youtube videos...

https://youtu.be/5ZxCdkeKbyI

https://youtu.be/vBjVZK3AskA

At the end of the day I think people need to ask themselves just how important is all this technical discussion and how much of a difference will it actually make to the quality of the photos in someone's album.

As a stark contrast to the Ken Wheelers of the photography world, watch this video of an actual real photographer...

https://youtu.be/KYdPKTxFfMc

I like how he says "So you have basically four or five things that are critical - Composition, light, subject, texture, form."

Funnily enough I didn't notice Tom Mangelsen mentioning anywhere about ETTR or sensor saturation.

Now I realise that having an understanding of one aspect on photography is not mutually exclusive of having an understanding of the other aspects of photography.

But I do wonder if people that put too much focus on the trivial technicalities of camera equipment lose sight of the bigger picture and don't spend as much thought on the more important aspects to creating great imagery.

-- hide signature --
 kiwi2's gear list:kiwi2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +4 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 4,126
Re: What's really important in photography...???

This is a gear-focused site.

Surely this isn't breaking news..

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,355
What's really important in photography?...the big picture

Surely what's important is not what you or KW or TM say is important. It is what the individual enjoys doing, as a participant in photography as an activity for humans.

Some people can't resist looking down a long, lecturing nose and announce it has to be composition, light, blah blah blah, but they need to suck their words back in and take a step back.

People are allowed to participate in the activity of photography for whatever aspect they get a kick out of.

• It might be composition, light, blah blah blah
  • It might be how cameras work
  • It might be the fancy cameras, or classic cameras, or collectible cameras
  • It might be the different types of image making methods
  • It might be technical understanding and advancement
  • It might be blogging and sharing and teaching
  • It might be nothing more than membership of a community
  • It might be as collectors of photographs 
  • and more, I'm sure

There is room for everyone in this hobby, and for all their relative priorities.

cheers

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 19,138

kiwi2 wrote:

But I do wonder if people that put too much focus on the trivial technicalities of camera equipment lose sight of the bigger picture and don't spend as much thought on the more important aspects to creating great imagery.

Maybe. Hard to know. The technical stuff is just easy to talk about and easier to debate. I spend most of my time (with a camera) focusing on what I'm shooting; in my leisure time, I look through books of pictures, not books about technique. But I can't really think of anything I want to talk about with regards to composition, timing, etc.

"Rule of thirds, yea or nay ?" Ugh.

- Dennis
--
Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

Bear Dale
Bear Dale Contributing Member • Posts: 981

Jonsi wrote:

Have you ever posted a photo up that you actually took?

-- hide signature --
 Bear Dale's gear list:Bear Dale's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
Wingsfan
Wingsfan Regular Member • Posts: 244

What's really important is that you enjoy it, and that you get satisfaction from taking pictures (at least for those of us who don't pay our mortgages from photography). I don't care about ettr, rule of thirds, or any of that. I shoot jpeg most of the time anyway ( which in some people's eyes is a mortal sin).

Most of you would probably laugh if you looked at the photos in my gallery. But to me, they represent either something I either enjoyed taking a picture of, or a moment in time that I want to remember.

Wingsfan's gear list:Wingsfan's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon Coolpix 4100 Panasonic ZS100 +15 more
Richrf
Richrf Contributing Member • Posts: 553

Wingsfan wrote:

What's really important is that you enjoy it, and that you get satisfaction from taking pictures (at least for those of us who don't pay our mortgages from photography). I don't care about ettr, rule of thirds, or any of that. I shoot jpeg most of the time anyway ( which in some people's eyes is a mortal sin).

Most of you would probably laugh if you looked at the photos in my gallery. But to me, they represent either something I either enjoyed taking a picture of, or a moment in time that I want to remember.

Yes, what made photography unique at in time, was that it captured some moment in time. Some memory. That had vanished with digitized manipulation. Now, photography competes with other digitized arts so it has lost its uniqueness which is why no one cares about them in art fairs. Photography had moved into fantasy land.

Jonsi

Bear Dale wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

On a gear-focused site ?  I discuss gear.

Still, I have but what does that have to do with anything ?

CarmelSoul Forum Member • Posts: 82

“The photographer’s most important and likewise most difficult task is not learning to manage his camera, or to develop, or to print. It is learning to see photographically – that is, learning to see his subject matter in terms of the capacities of his tools and processes, so that he can instantaneously translate the elements and values in a scene before him into the photograph he wants to make.” – Edward Weston

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,353

Step 1: learn the technical side, familiarize with your camera until it gets out of the way;

Step 2: develop the artistic side.

Done.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R XF 90mm +1 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 13,834
Beginners

This site has a *lot* of beginners. Certainly technical concerns are going to make up a lot of questions posted here.

It’s like learning a new language. One can discuss what goes into excellent literary Japanese, but if you are a beginner, then spelling, pronunciation, character and word choice, grammar, etc., are going to be of primary importance.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +2 more
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 1,172

What's really important in photography

Is

Interesting

Photographs

-- hide signature --

The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,132

"Conan, what is best in life?

To crush your enemies' gear, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the wimmin"

Sony Influencer Junior Member • Posts: 25

Important:

Dual card slots
24p
Dynamic range
Sony cameras
Instagram likes

Bear Dale

Jonsi wrote:

Bear Dale wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

On a gear-focused site ? I discuss gear.

Credibility.

Its like listening to a chef who thinks they're worthy of being called a chef, yet they've never served up even an appetizer.......ever.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
tassienick Contributing Member • Posts: 991

Bear Dale wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Bear Dale wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Credibility.

Its like listening to a chef who thinks they're worthy of being called a chef, yet they've never served up even an appetizer.......ever.

But..... It's a gear site..?

Jonsi

Bear Dale wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Bear Dale wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Credibility.

Well, that's pretty ridiculous since all I was doing was stating a fact.

It's a gear-focused site.  Always has been. Whether or not I've posted photos has no bearing on that.

kiwi2
OP kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,542

Jonsi wrote:

Surely this isn't breaking news..

But the gear/hardware/technical side of things also depends on a photographer that knows what they're doing on the composition and light side of things.

It's like how car designers depend on car drivers that know what they're doing for the engineering side of things to work properly. Like how a car driver holds the steering wheel or uses the manual stick shift properly. If the driver doesn't know and practice the basic principles then the complex engineering of stability and control also fails.

Camera designers also have the same problems. A few years ago in the Canon Rebel forums here, a lot of people were complaining that the AF was failing to find their subject. But when seeing their photos you could understand why. It may have been a photo of a kid very small in the frame with all the other clutter of the room around. Poor composition when looking at the photo. Main subject too small in the frame and lots of other distracting clatter around. The camera had the same problem with its algorithms trying to make out what the subject to focus on was meant to be. A cleaner composition with the main subject taking up a more decent part of the frame would be no problem for the camera to work out what to AF on.

The same for when someone using a camera doesn't understand the properties of light and wonders why they get blown out skies all the time etc etc. The camera itself would have far less trouble if the photographer knew what they were doing more. I think people having a better understanding of the basics would make much bigger improvements than worrying about small technical differences.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +4 more
kiwi2
OP kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,542
Re: What's really important in photography?...the big picture

TN Args wrote:

Surely what's important is not what you or KW or TM say is important. It is what the individual enjoys doing, as a participant in photography as an activity for humans.

Some people can't resist looking down a long, lecturing nose and announce it has to be composition, light, blah blah blah, but they need to suck their words back in and take a step back.

People are allowed to participate in the activity of photography for whatever aspect they get a kick out of.

• It might be composition, light, blah blah blah
  • It might be how cameras work
  • It might be the fancy cameras, or classic cameras, or collectible cameras
  • It might be the different types of image making methods
  • It might be technical understanding and advancement
  • It might be blogging and sharing and teaching
  • It might be nothing more than membership of a community
  • It might be as collectors of photographs
  • and more, I'm sure

There is room for everyone in this hobby, and for all their relative priorities.

cheers

How about someone looking down their long condescending noses and lecturing others about 'its okay to think the world is flat but us clever people know the world is round'.

Why do the technical gear-head types think they are the ultimate authority on everything to do with photography?

Ken Wheeler for all his blah blah blah couldn't take a decent photo even if his life depended on it...

www.chuckjines.com/the-angry-photographer-busted-claiming-other-peoples-work/

Whereas Tom Mangelsen has racked up quite a long list of notable recognition in his career of following his passion...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_D._Mangelsen#Recognition

So to me who do you think has more credibility and is someone I would want to learn from?

-- hide signature --
Bear Dale

tassienick wrote:

Bear Dale wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Bear Dale wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

Credibility.

But..... It's a gear site..?

Yep, that's what all the people say who never post up a photo - ever.

They somehow miss the hundreds of photos posted up each and every day across the multitude of forums that make up DPReview.

They think the subterfuge of incorrectly banging on that its a 'gear site' only saves them from the loss of credibility.

Cheers,
Bear Dale
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/50digital
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/bear.dale.73

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads