Refurb 80d w/lenses or new 90d body

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Free8888 New Member • Posts: 4
Refurb 80d w/lenses or new 90d body

I’m looking to upgrade from my T2i, as I’m planning to go on a safari in the next 1-2 years, and want some time to work with the new camera ahead of that. I also have the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses (non STM). I’ve listed the T2i and lenses on Craigslist, and the offers aren’t much over $200

My question is whether I’d be better off going for the 80d refurb with the 2 lenses, or wait for the 90d to drop down to the $900-950 range and use the existing lenses nd keep the T2i as a backup. I’m assuming both cameras might see some additional discounting around Black Friday (probably need to wait longer for the 90d to drop).

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,230
Re: Refurb 80d w/lenses or new 90d body

Free8888 wrote:

I’m looking to upgrade from my T2i, as I’m planning to go on a safari in the next 1-2 years, and want some time to work with the new camera ahead of that. I also have the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses (non STM). I’ve listed the T2i and lenses on Craigslist, and the offers aren’t much over $200

My question is whether I’d be better off going for the 80d refurb with the 2 lenses, or wait for the 90d to drop down to the $900-950 range and use the existing lenses nd keep the T2i as a backup. I’m assuming both cameras might see some additional discounting around Black Friday (probably need to wait longer for the 90d to drop).

90D is not even out yet and its price is not gonna fall anytime soon, you may have to wait a LONG while before that happens   if you can find a good deal in 80D, buy it and spend money on "L" lenses instead, if you value quality and enjoyment in your photography! i wouldn't settle for cheesy ef-s lenses.  it is always the lens that determines the quality of shots and cameras very little, IMO and experience! if it was me, i'd consider a 80D and sell the 2 lenses and get a canon 24-105"L" original or even a stm version would be fine if budget is tight. good luck.

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,661
Re: Refurb 80D w/lenses or new 90d body

1Dx4me wrote:

Free8888 wrote:

My question is whether I’d be better off going for the 80d refurb with the 2 lenses, or wait for the 90d to drop down to the $900-950 range and use the existing lenses and keep the T2i as a backup. I’m assuming both cameras might see some additional discounting around Black Friday (probably need to wait longer for the 90d to drop).

90D is not even out yet and its price is not gonna fall anytime soon, you may have to wait a LONG while before that happens if you can find a good deal in 80D, buy it and spend money on "L" lenses instead, if you value quality and enjoyment in your photography! i wouldn't settle for cheesy ef-s lenses. it is always the lens that determines the quality of shots and cameras very little, IMO and experience! if it was me, i'd consider a 80D and sell the 2 lenses and get a canon 24-105"L" original or even a stm version would be fine if budget is tight. good luck.

You're likely to want more reach than 250mm while on Safari. Do whatever allows you to purchase a 100-400 II (and maybe a 1.4x TC). Either way you're better off having the T2i as backup than selling it for $200.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot S20 Canon EOS 80D +7 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,230

Dave wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

Free8888 wrote:

My question is whether I’d be better off going for the 80d refurb with the 2 lenses, or wait for the 90d to drop down to the $900-950 range and use the existing lenses and keep the T2i as a backup. I’m assuming both cameras might see some additional discounting around Black Friday (probably need to wait longer for the 90d to drop).

90D is not even out yet and its price is not gonna fall anytime soon, you may have to wait a LONG while before that happens if you can find a good deal in 80D, buy it and spend money on "L" lenses instead, if you value quality and enjoyment in your photography! i wouldn't settle for cheesy ef-s lenses. it is always the lens that determines the quality of shots and cameras very little, IMO and experience! if it was me, i'd consider a 80D and sell the 2 lenses and get a canon 24-105"L" original or even a stm version would be fine if budget is tight. good luck.

You're likely to want more reach than 250mm while on Safari. Do whatever allows you to purchase a 100-400 II (and maybe a 1.4x TC). Either way you're better off having the T2i as backup than selling it for $200.

that makes sense but we don't know OP's budget constraints! in the past, if i couldn't afford an "L" lens, i'd take my time and save until i had enough afford my desired lens and purchased it but never compromised and settled for a "turkey"

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

OP Free8888 New Member • Posts: 4

Appreciate the input from both. Sounds like the 80d. Also, seems like I’d be better off selling the two STM lenses from the refurb kit? I really don’t have any complaints about my current non STM versions. The 55-250 especially has provided some nice shots over the years. I could then use the proceeds to help defray the cost of the 100-400.

Regarding the 100-400, I was thinking about the Tamron, but based on what I’ve heard about the Canon, it seems like it would be worth it, especially for a once in a lifetime trip.

BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 24,777

I would buy the long Sigma Zoom and get a 90D with the 18 - 135.

BAK

jp4 Senior Member • Posts: 1,115

Free8888 wrote:

Appreciate the input from both. Sounds like the 80d. Also, seems like I’d be better off selling the two STM lenses from the refurb kit? I really don’t have any complaints about my current non STM versions. The 55-250 especially has provided some nice shots over the years. I could then use the proceeds to help defray the cost of the 100-400.

Regarding the 100-400, I was thinking about the Tamron, but based on what I’ve heard about the Canon, it seems like it would be worth it, especially for a once in a lifetime trip.

I agree about the choice of the Canon 100-400 ver2 for such a rare trip. The sting of the price will fade, and you WILL be pleased with it's top notch performance for years to come. You may find a discount around Black Friday.

jp4's gear list:jp4's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,650

BAK wrote:

BAK

Gee, that little combo is an awful long way from the OP's stated budget of $900

There might be a very long wait involved - safari in 6-8 years rather than 1-2 years.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,650

Free8888 wrote:

I will agree with what others have said.

It might take 2-3 years for a 90D to drop to $900, whereas you can buy a refurb 80D + 2 lenses now for $700.

I would try to sell the old kit lenses. I have no personal experience, but from what I have read the newer kit lenses are noticeably better than the old ones, especially the 55-250mm.

You will definitely find 250mm wanting on an African safari. Even on APS-C 400mm is really the minimum.

Don't overlook a used Canon 100-400L (original) - they can be had quite reasonably priced I think. If you get a decent one (one of the later, not very early copies, which had some variation), they can be almost as sharp as a 100-400 L ii.

I was in Africa in 2016 with a 70D and original 100-400L and found it could produce some nice photos - see below (best viewed at original size).

I have since upgraded to the L ii because I got an exceptional deal that effectively amounted to around 40% discount. IMO the biggest differences between the two versions I have owned is the IS is more effective on the new lens, and the MFD is shorter (nice for "macros") and it is a little sharper.

Another option might be to rent a Canon 100-400L ii - I suspect you will be much happier with the overall performance (especially when the light is lower in the mornings and late afternoons, which is when the best game viewing takes place) than any of the 3rd party options.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
thomste Junior Member • Posts: 39

Free8888 wrote:

Canon 100-400 is a great lens for sure but if your budget is tighter then I would highly recommend the Tamron 150-600 g2.

I use it with an 80D body for surfing and wildlife photos with great results.

Dave

Andy01 wrote:

BAK wrote:

BAK

There might be a very long wait involved - safari in 6-8 years rather than 1-2 years.

Colin

Free8888, was $900 the your total budget or just for the body?

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot S20 Canon EOS 80D +7 more
Dave

Andy01 wrote:

Free8888 wrote:

I will agree with what others have said.

It might take 2-3 years for a 90D to drop to $900, whereas you can buy a refurb 80D + 2 lenses now for $700.

I would try to sell the old kit lenses. I have no personal experience, but from what I have read the newer kit lenses are noticeably better than the old ones, especially the 55-250mm.

You will definitely find 250mm wanting on an African safari. Even on APS-C 400mm is really the minimum.

Don't overlook a used Canon 100-400L (original) - they can be had quite reasonably priced I think. If you get a decent one (one of the later, not very early copies, which had some variation), they can be almost as sharp as a 100-400 L ii.

I was in Africa in 2016 with a 70D and original 100-400L and found it could produce some nice photos - see below (best viewed at original size).

I have since upgraded to the L ii because I got an exceptional deal that effectively amounted to around 40% discount. IMO the biggest differences between the two versions I have owned is the IS is more effective on the new lens, and the MFD is shorter (nice for "macros") and it is a little sharper.

Another option might be to rent a Canon 100-400L ii - I suspect you will be much happier with the overall performance (especially when the light is lower in the mornings and late afternoons, which is when the best game viewing takes place) than any of the 3rd party options.

Colin

Nice shots, Colin.  My son rented an original 100-400L in Africa the year before version II was introduced and was very happy with the results.

Dave wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

BAK wrote:

BAK

Colin

Free8888, was $900 the your total budget or just for the body?

$900 was really for just for the body.  I'm assuming at least another $700+ for a 100-400, depending on whether I go Canon on the lens or 3rd party.

Myer Senior Member • Posts: 2,967

1Dx4me wrote:

Free8888 wrote:

I agree with almost everything said. Except that not all ef-s lenses are garbage. I have the 15-85 and in my opinion it's the closest thing to an "L" lens without being one.

I currently have my T2i as my backup and I use a 70D as my main camera body.

In addition to the 15-85 I have a 70-300L purchased about 6 years ago and since replace by Canon as it took them too long to repair and I also have the 100-400L II that I bought not long after it came out.

I think whether you should go for the 80D or 90D is a financial decision.

I'm a little torn between the 90D and waiting to see if a 7D III ever comes out.

I want to see the real life experience as I photograph anything and everything the birds in flight to everything else.

Definitely keep the T2i if it's in good shape. It's a good camera.

Get good lenses.

Regarding the $900, that was probably too aggressive, but was basing it on the the launch of the 80d, and the subsequent price drops later (including availability of refurbs).  They seemed to start within 3 months, with refurbs popping up about 6 months after launch.

The money is really less of an issue, it's more a case of getting good shots, and then having the lens sit around unused afterward.  It does seem that once people get started with the 100-400, they continue to find "uses" for it.  I'm getting close to retirement age, and would expect to travel more national parks, etc. so seems like I would get good use out of it, so less likely to regret the purchase.

jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 3,993

I would think you are going to spend a bundle on a safari.  If you really do not plan on having money left over for a new body and a long lens, you might want to consider renting.  You can rent the 100-400II for about $100/week.

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +7 more
totleytom Contributing Member • Posts: 553

For a general walk-around lens i’ve found the Sigma 17-70 f2.8 - f4 to be better than any Canon EF-S lens - i’ve had the 15-85 and the 18-55 IS (I.e. the non-STM).

As regards longer lenses, there’s also the 75-300 L. Probably better than the 100-400 mk1 but not as good as the mk2?

Finally, none of us really know yet how any of these lenses will perform with the 32.5 mp APS-C sensor. The better ones do a good-enough job on the 24mp APS-C bodies, but I suppose my worry is that in practice we might not see much actual improvement in detail, etc, from the extra sensor resolution. The lenses might limit it, and so might diffraction. I’ve read suggestion that images will start to be diffraction-limited on that sensor at around f6.7, and of course that’s where most budget EF-S lenses have traditionally started to get good!

Nonetheless I’ve ordered a 90D which I should be able to collect tomorrow. I’m selling my 5DIV - just too big and heavy with L lenses - and the 90D will be a huge upgrade from my existing APS-C camera, a 750D. But only the images I make will tell me whether it was worth it or not....

totleytom's gear list:totleytom's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM
jrkliny

I shoot a lot at f/20 so I am curious to see what the Canon diffraction correction can do.  With my current camera it does nothing.  Apparently the software only works with some lenses and relatively recent camera bodies.

Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +7 more
Kevin Omura
Kevin Omura Senior Member • Posts: 2,305
Perhaps

Free8888 wrote:

B&H is $1199 on pre-order so it's possible that it might get discounted but Black Friday might be a bit optimistic. Who knows though, DSLR sales are pretty sluggish and if the launch is a tepid we could see a drop in price. $999 might even be possible, though I might be more inclined to see some type of drop around Boxing Week.

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G2 +64 more
jrkliny
Re: Perhaps

I would not be looking for any significant drop in price anytime soon.  This is the first jump in performance for an APS-C camera that Canon has made in many years.  They also hit the market at a reasonable starting price.  I expect sales to be strong and prices to hold.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads