Sony 200-600 Moon shot

Started Sep 8, 2019 | Discussions
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,817
Sony 200-600 Moon shot

This was always a challenging subject for me.  This could probably be better, but wanted to grab a shot with my first lens that I can get more than 300 mm with.

I did take some photos at the zoo and plan to do more.

Now I can look for more opportunities to use this lens.

I am really happy with the 200-600 for what I do.

I would say the are I need to improve is nailing the exposure and maximizing detail.

I'd love to hear your settings/exposure starting point, metering mode etc..

Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,543
Re: Sony 200-600 Moon shot

Looks pretty good to me.

Maybe it could be a little sharper with a touch more contrast?

Were you using a tripod or hand-holding?

I would recommend using a sturdy tripod, stopping down to F8 or F11 and using a 5sec timer. The shutter speed should still be fast enough. If not, up the ISO to 400 or even 800. It shouldn't hurt the final result when sharpening in LR with masking.

Depending on the moon phase, you might even want to use an ND filter.

I hope to get mine this week and try a few moon shots myself.

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 +15 more
OP LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,817

Corelli wrote:

Looks pretty good to me.

Maybe it could be a little sharper with a touch more contrast?

thanks I’ll play with the RAW file

Were you using a tripod or hand-holding?

using a tripod but not using the self timer

I would recommend using a sturdy tripod, stopping down to F8 or F11 and using a 5sec timer. The shutter speed should still be fast enough. If not, up the ISO to 400 or even 800. It shouldn't hurt the final result when sharpening in LR with masking.

i use a different raw developer called Iridient developer   I never got comfortable with LR

Depending on the moon phase, you might even want to use an ND filter.

which moon phase do you use  ND  I do have a Nd and if the sky is clear again I will play with that

I hope to get mine this week and try a few moon shots myself.

awesome it’s a nice lens.

If you don’t have one or want something other than what comes with the lens I recommend using a camera strap in the eyelets of the 200-600. I use this as I mount and un mount the lens for safety.

I did buy an arca compatible foot since I use RRS heads

Cheers

Peter Precht Regular Member • Posts: 172

I did buy an arca compatible foot since I use RRS head

a special one or a standard plate?

Thanks

Peter

Peter Precht's gear list:Peter Precht's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a1 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +7 more
Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,543

If the moon is half or more I would use an ND. I haven't shot that much with the camera alone. I use it mostly on my telescope and the moon filter helps with contrast.

And thanks for the tip on the strap. I've seen others use the Peak Design dodads which looks like a good system.

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 +15 more

I bought the Wimberly Ap-620. I like the foot but I also have the really right stuff on order.

My one quibble with the Wimberly is it loosened on me a few times so keeping the Allen wrench on you is a must not forget

the Rrs version looks like the Sony oem foot converted to arca Swiss type.

You can get both at B&H photo

Yes I do have the wide peak design strap

I also have the really right stuff foot on order.

There is a product called Magpul it’s on the rrs site

magpul makes accessories for weapons

it’s cool because the magpul strap clicks into the rrs base or lplate system they have machined in that compatibility

I got the magpul strap to try when the rrs foot is delivered

CekariYH
CekariYH Regular Member • Posts: 165

Great shoot. Haven't had an opportunity yet, cloudy "or no moon"

Some contrast and minor sharpening would make it stand out.

Love my 200-600, but it's kind of heavy shooting a whole day on an a7R III with battery grip. Stil I shot like 3500 images in 4-5 hours with it and a monopod (an event with lot of action)

BTW, no need to stop down the aperture, the DOF aren't going to help, you need the shutter speed to freeze it, as the moon travel fast at 600mm.

Don't forget to turn off Steady Shoot when on tripod.

-- hide signature --

English is a funny language, seldom it spells the words like I do.

CekariYH's gear list:CekariYH's gear list
Sony a7R III
The Ryantist Senior Member • Posts: 1,328

Nice shot!

Processing Tips

For the moon I usually change the processing to B&W since there's no color in the image anyway. This is a cheap way to increased the perceived resolution and/or reduce color noise.

Next, adjust your curves and set your white point so that at least a few pixels on the moon are full white. This will give your image the greatest dynamic range if it contains the full gradient from black to white. In lightroom you can old Alt (I think) while dragging the exposure sliders to see which pixels are clipping.

Add clarity, texture and sharpness to taste.

Shooting Tips

Your image does look a tiny bit soft. Maybe either slightly missed focus or motion blur. My experience is with the FE 70-300 on APS-C. I've tried handheld with OSS, tripod OSS, and tripod without OSS. I do not turn off OSS with a tripod, as I get better results with it on. In my moon testing, the order of best to worst goes: tripod with OSS, handheld with OSS, tripod without OSS. Try for yourself and see what you like. (I don't have IBIS).

The timer method works, but I use this shutter release cable for all my tripod work now. It's cheap and works great, allows "Bulb" mode, and you don't have to wait 2 seconds for every picture.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7O2AGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Ryantist's gear list:The Ryantist's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony a7C Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +7 more

Awesome thanks

we have a full moon in the next week. I’ll be trying again

LenRivers wrote:

Awesome thanks

we have a full moon in the next week. I’ll be trying again

Cool. Yeah you can collect all the phases haha! Full moons are a slightly different game because the lighting on the moon is flat and the whole thing is much brighter. I personally find the lighting more interesting on the quarter moon shot like you have since it accents the shadows more. 

Sony a6600 Sony a7C Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +7 more
moficera Contributing Member • Posts: 964

The Ryantist wrote:

Processing Tips

For the moon I usually change the processing to B&W since there's no color in the image anyway.

That is not true but of course you can make it b/w as an artistic choice.

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +18 more

moficera wrote:

The Ryantist wrote:

Processing Tips

For the moon I usually change the processing to B&W since there's no color in the image anyway.

That is not true but of course you can make it b/w as an artistic choice.

Fair enough. I should have said there's very low saturation in the scene. I used B&W slightly as a crutch here to increase my perceived resolution and reduce noise when I felt the natural color wasn't contributing to the image.

CekariYH

The Ryantist wrote:

Nice shot!

Processing Tips

For the moon I usually change the processing to B&W since there's no color in the image anyway. This is a cheap way to increased the perceived resolution and/or reduce color noise.

Next, adjust your curves and set your white point so that at least a few pixels on the moon are full white. This will give your image the greatest dynamic range if it contains the full gradient from black to white. In lightroom you can old Alt (I think) while dragging the exposure sliders to see which pixels are clipping.

Add clarity, texture and sharpness to taste.

Shooting Tips

Your image does look a tiny bit soft. Maybe either slightly missed focus or motion blur. My experience is with the FE 70-300 on APS-C. I've tried handheld with OSS, tripod OSS, and tripod without OSS. I do not turn off OSS with a tripod, as I get better results with it on. In my moon testing, the order of best to worst goes: tripod with OSS, handheld with OSS, tripod without OSS. Try for yourself and see what you like. (I don't have IBIS).

The timer method works, but I use this shutter release cable for all my tripod work now. It's cheap and works great, allows "Bulb" mode, and you don't have to wait 2 seconds for every picture.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7O2AGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats not true about Steady Shot. Even Sony tells us not to use SS on a tripods and my findings tells me they are very right.

Why? Well, the actuators when SS is on has a small current to the actuators and nothing and I repeat nothing that's have current on will be totally still. Trust me on that.

Why you failed might be of several reasons.

1. Not a very steady tripod.

2. Shutter movements made it move. (Use silent shooting).

3. Traffic or anything that moves the ground happened.

My tripod is a Berlich wood one, with their levelling plate and with the big Wimberly gimbal head. this alone without the camera gear weighs in at about 12kg (≈26.5 pound)

I also hangs one or two 10kg (≈10 pounds) at the bottom of the head and secured so they don't swing thwhen doing critical shots.

The tripod stands on vibration dampening foam.

Then I manually focus with the RMT-P1BT (BluTooth Remote that moves the focus much tinier than one are able to do by hand on the lens itself, and a 10" external screen to really see when in focus is also used. Wait 2 minutes before shooting. ( not easy on the moon, but doable if you know where it's going to be.

Admit, this setup isn't for walkabouts.

B&W works great on the moon, but even if the moon are more like different shades of gray from some distant the sun might give som nice colour-casts

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R III

CekariYH wrote:

Why? Well, the actuators when SS is on has a small current to the actuators and nothing and I repeat nothing that's have current on will be totally still. Trust me on that.

Doesn't it take some current even with OSS/IBIS off to hold the lens element/sensor in a neutral position?

Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +18 more
CekariYH

moficera wrote:

CekariYH wrote:

Doesn't it take some current even with OSS/IBIS off to hold the lens element/sensor in a neutral position?

Good question!

I have no idea, always though it was "locked" into that position when off, else it has to "work" to keep it there when you move around. Might be wrong though.

Edit: Actually I'm pretty sure that it's held in place with some kind of spring-suspension (is that a word?). Read it somewhere but where???

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R III

CekariYH wrote:

Thats not true about Steady Shot. Even Sony tells us not to use SS on a tripods and my findings tells me they are very right.

Well, nothing is totally still, whether or not it has current running through it.

You may be right, especially with the FE 70-300 not having a tripod mount on the lens. But I've done testing with my gear and that's the best results I can get with my gear. Perhaps a different tripod/lens/body combo will give different results. Also, the effectiveness of OSS is dependent on the frequency of the motion, so I suppose neither of us (or Sony) should be making blanket statements. They're just rules of thumb.

I didn't try it with silent shooting. I rarely use it because I've read this increases noise in the image by the equivalent of one ISO stop. But I haven't tested this for myself.

CekariYH

The Ryantist wrote:

CekariYH wrote:

Well, nothing is totally still, whether or not it has current running through it.

Thats nitpicking, not even the universe is still...

You may be right, especially with the FE 70-300 not having a tripod mount on the lens. But I've done testing with my gear and that's the best results I can get with my gear. Perhaps a different tripod/lens/body combo will give different results. Also, the effectiveness of OSS is dependent on the frequency of the motion, so I suppose neither of us (or Sony) should be making blanket statements. They're just rules of thumb.

I didn't try it with silent shooting. I rarely use it because I've read this increases noise in the image by the equivalent of one ISO stop. But I haven't tested this for myself.

I only use silent shooting for tests and in church type of places or when I notice those around me are disturbed by the sound...

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R III

CekariYH wrote:

moficera wrote:

CekariYH wrote:

Good question!

I have no idea, always though it was "locked" into that position when off, else it has to "work" to keep it there when you move around. Might be wrong though.

Edit: Actually I'm pretty sure that it's held in place with some kind of spring-suspension (is that a word?). Read it somewhere but where???

You can hear the sensor shaking and the OSS lens group in the 200-600 as well, sounds more it are solely electro magnets that hold it in place when turned on.

CekariYH

moficera wrote:

CekariYH wrote:

moficera wrote:

CekariYH wrote:

Good question!

You can hear the sensor shaking and the OSS lens group in the 200-600 as well, sounds more it are solely electro magnets that hold it in place when turned on.

When turned on... yes ofc.

Edit: Checked it, and yes, one can hear a low buzzing sound from both the lens and camera when the camera is on whether the SS is on or off. If it's the OSS/IBIS I can't tell though.

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads