If the A9ii is announced soon, will have of you A7iii upgrade if A9 price drops within £500 upgrade?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
gphome Regular Member • Posts: 463
If the A9ii is announced soon, will have of you A7iii upgrade if A9 price drops within £500 upgrade?

over at SAR a A9ii release soon is gathering momentum, and I think it’s gonna happen.

As the title says will any of you A7iii owners upgrade if it’s within £500/$500 to sell your A7iii and purchase a A9? I will in a flash for the silent shutter with little or no rolling shutter, a game changer for candid family photography which is my main usage. I also want the better EVF and extra mode dial, the EVF on the X-T3 was much better when I tested both in a shop, and the A9 got the latest real time tracking AF via a firmware update, the only existing model that got it BTW when launched in the a6400

gphome's gear list:gphome's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
moficera Regular Member • Posts: 308
Re: If the A9ii is announced soon, will have of you A7iii upgrade if A9 price drops ...

A9 used? That might work, even now. Or you mean buy A9 new? I don't think the prices converge so much soon.

I might buy an A9-ish camera in the future, might be an APS-C, though.

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +11 more
JRP64
JRP64 Contributing Member • Posts: 872
A9ii is announced soon, will have of you A7iii upgrade if A9 price drops within £500 upgrade?

It all depends on how much Sony prices the Sony A9II? Though I don't think the A9 will be close in price to the A7III as it would hurt sales in the A9 and the A9II that is coming out. I personally think the Sony A9II is going to be price a little higher than most people are thinking it's going to be. I'm thinking around $6000, but I could be wrong and I have been laughed at even suggesting the Sony is going to raise the price of their flagship camera.

JRP64's gear list:JRP64's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +5 more
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,672
Sorry, 24mp won't cut it in 2019 as an "only" cam

(a likely situation given the pricing) unless you need the speed.
Sony may well confirm that by upping the pixel count on the facelift; (not likely as I think that means a new sensor), but you never know.

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R Sony a7R +25 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Re: If the A9ii is announced soon

gphome wrote:

over at SAR a A9ii release soon is gathering momentum, and I think it’s gonna happen.

It's still just a rumor no matter how much folks might be ranting and raving.

I'll get excited only if and when it actually happens and also if the new camera's specs represent a significant and worthwhile improvement over my current A9.

I'm not going to upgrade at ~$5K simply to have the latest badge on the front although I know that apparently matters to some folks.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
MySimplePhotosToday
MySimplePhotosToday Regular Member • Posts: 163
No, what's the point.

Nope. If I needed/wanted the a9, I would have bought it in the first place. £500 off isn't really that much compared with other camera equipment, and the loss of the cost of the a7III (If you sell it you're losing that saving. If you keep it, you've got a camera you don't really need).

Not sure how the a9 works with flashes or triggers that usually don't fire in silent mode?

Right now I'd like the a7RIV, but can't justify the cost to upgrade. Same as the a7RIII.

MySimplePhotosToday's gear list:MySimplePhotosToday's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +6 more
Beatsy
Beatsy Contributing Member • Posts: 678
Re: A9ii is announced soon, will have of you A7iii upgrade if A9 price drops within £500 upgrade?

Perversely, I'm hoping the A9ii is at least £5k, possibly even £6k or more. Not that I like high prices, but given Sony's propensity for jamming as much of the newest/highest tech into new releases as they can (especially V2 releases it seems), a higher price should mean higher performance. And Sony are really going to have to pull out all the stops on the A9ii if they want it to impress as much as the A9 did, and still does! The bar has been set VERY high.

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +13 more
timmytooltime New Member • Posts: 12
Re: If the A9ii is announced, will you upgrade ?

Personally I wouldn’t as I’m happy with the bodies I have. The a7iii ticks almost all the boxes for me. 10fps is more than enough for me (I only ever shoot at 8fps), I find the autofocus keeps up with what I’m shooting and when I use it for video, it’s better kitted out than the a9.

I'm not trying to say the a7iii is a better camera, but it’s enough for my needs. If I was to upgrade, it’d be to the a7riv, but that’s a long, long way off.

timmytooltime's gear list:timmytooltime's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads