Wedding venue lighting

Started Sep 2, 2019 | Questions
akkers5 Regular Member • Posts: 284
Wedding venue lighting

A friend of mine is setting up a wedding venue. There will be a central stage where bride, groom and family will sit. All videos and photos will be taken here.

Will there be any benefit if he gets a lighting system setup for the photographer? This so that the photographer can come in and hook up using a remote and off he goes, rather than him setting up his own gear.

If so, what kind of setup would you suggest?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,527
Re: Wedding venue lighting

How much money is too much?

Without a lot more details about the venue your question is impossible to answer fully.

It might be that nothing but an on-camera hot-shoe flash is all that is needed.

It might be that thousands of watt seconds of strobe power are needed.

Fill in details about venue size, wall type and colors, windows, ceiling height and color,  stage height, background, and ambient lighting. Can light stands be used? Can lights be clamped to beams?

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,721

akkers5 wrote:

A friend of mine is setting up a wedding venue. There will be a central stage where bride, groom and family will sit. All videos and photos will be taken here.

Will there be any benefit if he gets a lighting system setup for the photographer? This so that the photographer can come in and hook up using a remote and off he goes, rather than him setting up his own gear.

This sounds like you're dealing with someone who is possibly very confused.  A lighting system for photographers would likely be strobes - not stage lights.  The triggering system would be manufacturer specific - sometimes even model specific to the camera.  And the use of said triggers requires knowledge - even mastery by the photographer to use properly.

In sum - the photographer should be talking with the friend - the internet can't help.  

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV
tugwilson Senior Member • Posts: 2,482

akkers5 wrote:

I would suggest your friend leaved the lighting and the type and location of the photographs to the photographer.

BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 25,464

Two 8 x 8 foot scrims lit with 5600 K floods, with lots of bulbs, to satisfy stills and videos.

BAK

MindInRewind Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

akkers5 wrote:

Waste of money to supply lighting.  Couples pay big bucks for wedding photographers, they supply their own lighting - and if they don't then they shouldn't be in the business.

~MIR

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,521
Basic stage lighting

akkers5 wrote:

Trying to provide flash lighting for photographers would be wasted effort, as photographers' approaches vary wildly and myriad incompatibilities between cameras, flashes and radio triggers pretty much doom a one-size-fits-all approach to failure.

OTOH, continuous stage lighting sufficient for, say, f2.8, 1/125 and ISO 1600 would allow many photographers to leave their flashes in their bags. More and more corporate event venues and AV production companies are providing this, and it's very liberating. I strongly advise against using LEDs for stage lighting, as these generally cause really ghastly issues with image quality. My experience with them has been awful. That said, it may be that there are full-spectrum LEDs that don't cause these issues, and this would require careful investigation before committing to purchase.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads