Imac and Video for Kids

Started Aug 28, 2019 | Discussions
Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Imac and Video for Kids

Guys just a quick question really. Can any of you recommend any good free or paid for software that's Kid friendly for YouTube etc.

At present we are using YouTube itself for editing but it's slow. I edit most my stuff on Adobe Premier Rush, but wondered if any of you know any other ones that are worth a look, Daughters only 12 but pretty clued up.

Just wanted to explore before I train her on Rush, which isn't complex and will suffice....

Thanks

Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
nick101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,336
Re: Imac and Video for Kids

What about iMovie? Free and I'd have thought as easy to learn as YouTube. Plus lots of room for growth

nick101's gear list:nick101's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 III Leica Q Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M5 II +16 more
MindInRewind Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

Tobamory wrote:

Guys just a quick question really. Can any of you recommend any good free or paid for software that's Kid friendly for YouTube etc.

At present we are using YouTube itself for editing but it's slow. I edit most my stuff on Adobe Premier Rush, but wondered if any of you know any other ones that are worth a look, Daughters only 12 but pretty clued up.

Just wanted to explore before I train her on Rush, which isn't complex and will suffice....

Thanks

iMovie.  Should already be loaded on your iMac.  If not, download it from the App Store. And, I bet your 12 year old will be teaching you stuff in about 6 months

~MIR

OP Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

Thanks guys she does have iMovie but I,ll need to play with it and see how much she can do

I,ll have a play tonight

Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
MindInRewind Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

Tobamory wrote:

Thanks guys she does have iMovie but I,ll need to play with it and see how much she can do

I,ll have a play tonight

It is a pretty decent piece of software that comes free.  She should be able to do a lot with it.  And once she masters that, she can easily move over to Final Cut Pro X, which is set up quite like iMovie, but more powerful and more tools.

~MIR

MindInRewind wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

I,ll have a play tonight

It is a pretty decent piece of software that comes free. She should be able to do a lot with it. And once she masters that, she can easily move over to Final Cut Pro X, which is set up quite like iMovie, but more powerful and more tools.

~MIR

I keep looking at Final Cut, just need to stump up the cash

nick101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,336

Tobamory wrote:

MindInRewind wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

I,ll have a play tonight

It is a pretty decent piece of software that comes free. She should be able to do a lot with it. And once she masters that, she can easily move over to Final Cut Pro X, which is set up quite like iMovie, but more powerful and more tools.

~MIR

If you're gazing longingly at FCP, look at the Pro Apps Bundle - it's for education user sonly, but someone in your family may well qualify (I don't know if school students qualify). It's cheaper than FCP on its own and includes other apps that might be useful and fun.

Details here

nick101's gear list:nick101's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 III Leica Q Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M5 II +16 more

nick101 wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

MindInRewind wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

I,ll have a play tonight

~MIR

If you're gazing longingly at FCP, look at the Pro Apps Bundle - it's for education user sonly, but someone in your family may well qualify (I don't know if school students qualify). It's cheaper than FCP on its own and includes other apps that might be useful and fun.

Details here

Thanks Nick

Brothers a Lecturer I may be able to squeeze him

Nick your a legend ordered it all

Excited now.........

Guys I just wanted to ask another question if I could about Final Cut pro

Ive been looking at extra FX for it and came across FX Factory seems very good but costly.

Do any of you know of any free sites that offer FX for FC, or is there a common site people use without paying, I'm not against paying but before I do just thought id ask.

Any sites better than FX factory ? for paid FX

Also primarily I'm looking for Callouts that I can pop on the videos to explain things as the video runs... Any good places for these....

I presume if I dload a zip file I just copy the contents to the root of the FC folder in modules ? or do I need to create a folder in the Module then drop them in that.

sorry for all the questions but my journey now starts

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 17,983

Tobamory wrote:

Ive been looking at extra FX for it and came across FX Factory seems very good but costly.

Do any of you know of any free sites that offer FX for FC, or is there a common site people use without paying,

The FX Factory site offers about 20 free effects, although I presume that these do not include the "crown jewels":

https://fxfactory.com/finalcutpro/?type=free

Velocity of Sound
Velocity of Sound Contributing Member • Posts: 937

Tobamory wrote:

I favor LenoFX for plugins and effects. They have some nice free ones , and once you look to the rest of what they offer you'll probably find that their plugins are definitely professional-level and priced accordingly. I don't think that they're any more expensive than other plugin websites, though. They also offer support, guides on how to use the plugins (which is useful, particularly for the more intricate plugins like text message bubble emulation), and they seemingly do keep the plugins updated. They do offer occasional sales, including a massive Black Friday sale in which they bundle a bunch of (seemingly random) plugins together for a price that is still expensive, but very good when broken down to what you're paying per plugin. That sale is probably less useful if you've already bought a few plugins, but if you're just starting out it's a nice way to quickly gain some additional things to keep your video effects fresh.

If your daughter is inclined to learn another program, Motion - included in the bundle that you bought - is the way to produce plugins and effects like these. I've only used it once or twice to customize other plugins, so I don't have much familiarity with it. It seems that if you know your way around it well you could not only save a lot of money, but possibly create plugins to sell for a decent amount.

If you want pure visual effects, Leno's Motion Graphics would probably work nicely. If you want to do something like shifting or slightly blurring the scene to have more text overlaid, check his team's Paragraph Titles plugin. (I use something similar, although it's from a different plugin set of theirs and it looks slightly different.)

The cheapest thing to do for text-based explainers is probably to create your own subtitles. Use control-T as the default shortcut (control, not command!), and then move the text to the bottom of the screen, resizing it and adding a border for visibility. If you have a coloration, size, and border scheme that you like, you can save the style settings to speed things up in the future. There are plugins you can buy that give you similar subtitles, but why bother when this one is free and simple?

Enjoy!

Velocity of Sound's gear list:Velocity of Sound's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm GFX 50S Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +10 more

Velocity of Sound wrote:

Tobamory wrote:

I favor LenoFX for plugins and effects. They have some nice free ones , and once you look to the rest of what they offer you'll probably find that their plugins are definitely professional-level and priced accordingly. I don't think that they're any more expensive than other plugin websites, though. They also offer support, guides on how to use the plugins (which is useful, particularly for the more intricate plugins like text message bubble emulation), and they seemingly do keep the plugins updated. They do offer occasional sales, including a massive Black Friday sale in which they bundle a bunch of (seemingly random) plugins together for a price that is still expensive, but very good when broken down to what you're paying per plugin. That sale is probably less useful if you've already bought a few plugins, but if you're just starting out it's a nice way to quickly gain some additional things to keep your video effects fresh.

If your daughter is inclined to learn another program, Motion - included in the bundle that you bought - is the way to produce plugins and effects like these. I've only used it once or twice to customize other plugins, so I don't have much familiarity with it. It seems that if you know your way around it well you could not only save a lot of money, but possibly create plugins to sell for a decent amount.

If you want pure visual effects, Leno's Motion Graphics would probably work nicely. If you want to do something like shifting or slightly blurring the scene to have more text overlaid, check his team's Paragraph Titles plugin. (I use something similar, although it's from a different plugin set of theirs and it looks slightly different.)

The cheapest thing to do for text-based explainers is probably to create your own subtitles. Use control-T as the default shortcut (control, not command!), and then move the text to the bottom of the screen, resizing it and adding a border for visibility. If you have a coloration, size, and border scheme that you like, you can save the style settings to speed things up in the future. There are plugins you can buy that give you similar subtitles, but why bother when this one is free and simple?

Enjoy!

Thanks for that they look good.... I did buy a shedload from MotionVFX which are good, but always open to more

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads