90D has no high-precision centre AF like 7D MK2?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Justme Forum Pro • Posts: 22,108

But will it replace the 7D MK2? is it as good as the 7D MK2? You be the judge. But it doesn't have CF and only has 45 AF points

The new 90D only has 1 card slot. No mention if it can AF at f/8 (500mm f4 lens with a TC 2x) like the 7D MK2. If it can't, no way will it replace my 7D MK2 as this capability is very important for my type of photography.

From the DPR quick look, the 90D sounds like what it is, a slight upgrade from the 80D and not a 7D MK2 upgrade or replacement.  But still looks liker a fun camera to use.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-initial-review-what-s-new-and-how-it-compares

-- hide signature --

I know you mean well but please do not embed my images into the forum. Thanks for respecting that.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/some_recent_shots
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/a_red_fox_family
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/55043863/small.jpg

Justme's gear list:Justme's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jack Jian Regular Member • Posts: 271
Re: 90D has no high-precision centre AF like 7D MK2?

Justme wrote:

But will it replace the 7D MK2? is it as good as the 7D MK2? You be the judge. But it doesn't have CF and only has 45 AF points

I have seen no official statement stating 90D will replace 7D line up. The 45 af pts are mated with 220k RGB pixel improving subject tracking, which 7D II have only 150k vs a mere 7.6k in 80D.

The new 90D only has 1 card slot. No mention if it can AF at f/8 (500mm f4 lens with a TC 2x) like the 7D MK2. If it can't, no way will it replace my 7D MK2 as this capability is very important for my type of photography.

Rudy Winston in his video states, the 90D will have its 27 central AF points available at f8.

From the DPR quick look, the 90D sounds like what it is, a slight upgrade from the 80D and not a 7D MK2 upgrade or replacement. But still looks liker a fun camera to use.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-initial-review-what-s-new-and-how-it-compares

32MP, LV AF (including Eye AF), 4K video, 220k metering pixels, nearly 1/3x improvement in battery, UHS II card support, and the amazing JOYSTICK etc ... all this makes it a huge update to 80D, at least to me.

If single Dig!c 8 can do all this, I am imagining what canon will bring out in 7D III with Dual Dig!c 8.

Jack Jian's gear list:Jack Jian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
rrc1967 Contributing Member • Posts: 839

Justme wrote:

From the DPR quick look, the 90D sounds like what it is, a slight upgrade from the 80D

a slight upgrade from the 80D?

p5freak Senior Member • Posts: 2,765

The 90D can autofocus even if you stack two x2 extenders on your 500mm f4 lens.

-- hide signature --

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,948

p5freak wrote:

I saw no mention of AF at f16, certainly not with OVF.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,636

Justme wrote:

The 80D already had 27 f/8 AF points, so I would be surprised if 90D is a regression.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +10 more
Jack Jian Regular Member • Posts: 271

quiquae wrote:

Justme wrote:

The 80D already had 27 f/8 AF points, so I would be surprised if 90D is a regression.

I think the 220K RGB pixels for tracking will make the improvements, the rest remaining the same. 80D has only 7560 pixels and 7D II 150K.

Jack Jian's gear list:Jack Jian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,948

It does have a joystick, which may address a sticking point with current 7D users.

If the 45 point AF is as good or better than 7D ii AF, joystick, faster (than even CF) SD UHS-II card (clears buffer at twice the speed of 80D and ±1.5x speed of 7D ii), faster Digic, possibly better DR, and significantly more (60% more) Mp than 7D ii, it may well be an upgrade from 7D ii, as well as a (more than slight ?) upgrade from 80D.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
p5freak Senior Member • Posts: 2,765

Andy01 wrote:

p5freak wrote:

I saw no mention of AF at f16, certainly not with OVF.

Colin

I never said with OVF. The TO didnt mention OVF. In live view the aperture doesnt matter. It will AF at any f-stop.

-- hide signature --

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,573

Justme wrote:

Well, the hint is in the name. It's an xxD, not 7Dx.

From the DPR quick look, the 90D sounds like what it is, a slight upgrade from the 80D and not a 7D MK2 upgrade or replacement.

Yes, that's exactly what it is - update to the 80D.  The 7D2 will continue to be produced & sold.  Whether or not there will be a 7D 3?  Well, only Canon knows.  If it doesn't appear by Jan/Feb, I kinda doubt there will be one.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,573

Justme wrote:

The new 90D only has 1 card slot. No mention if it can AF at f/8 (500mm f4 lens with a TC 2x)

From DPR's first look discussing the AF points:

"When using apertures of F8 and smaller, there are 27 points, 9 of which are cross-type."

Sharlin
Sharlin Contributing Member • Posts: 685

Yes it does. As have had all x0D bodies, I believe, since the 40D.

Sharlin's gear list:Sharlin's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
OP Justme Forum Pro • Posts: 22,108

Jack Jian wrote:

Justme wrote:

I have seen no official statement stating 90D will replace 7D line up. The 45 af pts are mated with 220k RGB pixel improving subject tracking, which 7D II have only 150k vs a mere 7.6k in 80D.

Rudy Winston in his video states, the 90D will have its 27 central AF points available at f8.

I have read different things on different sites.  I have read right on this site that the 90D will have xx (think it was the number you quoted) number of AF points for metering purposes.  I am not sure if the person above (Rudy) qualified what he meant by that statement.  I haven't seen the official Canon specs from Canon.

Usually Canon provides those dual precision type AF points on their pro cameras like the 1DX line.  They put a measly 1 such AF point in the 7D MK2.  It would be surprising if Canon included 27 such points in the 90D.  I mean it would be great if it were to happen.  Can anyone confirm if the 90D has AF points that will allow the AF of a lens combo of f/8 such as adding a 2x to a f4 lens making it an f/8 lens?

From the DPR quick look, the 90D sounds like what it is, a slight upgrade from the 80D and not a 7D MK2 upgrade or replacement. But still looks liker a fun camera to use.

32MP, LV AF (including Eye AF), 4K video, 220k metering pixels, nearly 1/3x improvement in battery, UHS II card support, and the amazing JOYSTICK etc ... all this makes it a huge update to 80D, at least to me.

If single Dig!c 8 can do all this, I am imagining what canon will bring out in 7D III with Dual Dig!c 8.

-- hide signature --

I know you mean well but please do not embed my images into the forum. Thanks for respecting that.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/some_recent_shots
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/a_red_fox_family
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/55043863/small.jpg

Justme's gear list:Justme's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Jase619
Jase619 Junior Member • Posts: 44

Justme wrote:

Jack Jian wrote:

Justme wrote:

I have read different things on different sites. I have read right on this site that the 90D will have xx (think it was the number you quoted) number of AF points for metering purposes. I am not sure if the person above (Rudy) qualified what he meant by that statement. I haven't seen the official Canon specs from Canon.

Usually Canon provides those dual precision type AF points on their pro cameras like the 1DX line. They put a measly 1 such AF point in the 7D MK2. It would be surprising if Canon included 27 such points in the 90D. I mean it would be great if it were to happen. Can anyone confirm if the 90D has AF points that will allow the AF of a lens combo of f/8 such as adding a 2x to a f4 lens making it an f/8 lens?

Yes, literally everyone else who commented have confirmed that at f/8 it will have 27 AF points. . .

-- hide signature --

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Jase619's gear list:Jase619's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Sharlin

Justme wrote:

Jack Jian wrote:

I have read different things on different sites. I have read right on this site that the 90D will have xx (think it was the number you quoted) number of AF points for metering purposes. I am not sure if the person above (Rudy) qualified what he meant by that statement. I haven't seen the official Canon specs from Canon.

Usually Canon provides those dual precision type AF points on their pro cameras like the 1DX line. They put a measly 1 such AF point in the 7D MK2. It would be surprising if Canon included 27 such points in the 90D. I mean it would be great if it were to happen. Can anyone confirm if the 90D has AF points that will allow the AF of a lens combo of f/8 such as adding a 2x to a f4 lens making it an f/8 lens?

High-precision dual cross-type AF points are an entirely separate concept from AF points available at f/8. Indeed, dual cross AF points are only high precision when the lens used has f/2.8 maximum aperture or faster.

The center AF point is dual cross-type in practically all modern Canon DSLRs except the very lowest tier. Only the 1DX models have more than one dual cross-type; they have five.

AF points capable of focusing at f/8 maximum aperture are a different feature. In the 45-point AF sensor used by the 80D, 90D, 6D2, and others, the center point is capable of f/8 autofocus with any lens-extender combination. In addition, with selected optics 27 AF points are available: namely the 100–400mm L IS II + 1.4x III and the 200–400mm L IS + 2x III. The 90D may support additional combinations besides those two; we don't know yet.

The 7D Mark II supports f/8 focusing with the center point either alone or in the 1+4 or 1+8 point expansion modes, but not with any other point. The 1D X Mark II and 5D Mark IV support f/8 AF with all 61 points.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Tom59 Senior Member • Posts: 1,022

Sharlin wrote:

Believe they mean center spot AF. 80d does not have that. Not sure about  the lower xxd's  but dont think they do.

Sharlin

Tom59 wrote:

Sharlin wrote:

Believe they mean center spot AF. 80d does not have that. Not sure about the lower xxd's but dont think they do.

Hmm, perhaps. Though Spot AF is possible with all AF points in bodies that have Spot AF in the first place. Which now includes the 90D.

RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,445

Jack Jian wrote:

Justme wrote:

I think it a significant upgrade to the 80D...enough so that I will eventually buy it.  But, it is in no way an 7D3 or even a replacement for the 7D2.  The 7D2 has way more than 10 fps that I took advantage of.  Still, the 90D has features I want for the other types of photography that I like to do..and at $1200, and possibly less when on sale, it will be a great edition to the kit.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +33 more
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,445

Sharlin wrote:

Justme wrote:

Jack Jian wrote:

High-precision dual cross-type AF points are an entirely separate concept from AF points available at f/8. Indeed, dual cross AF points are only high precision when the lens used has f/2.8 maximum aperture or faster.

The center AF point is dual cross-type in practically all modern Canon DSLRs except the very lowest tier. Only the 1DX models have more than one dual cross-type; they have five.

The 5DM3, 5DM4 and the 5DS R all have 5 dual cross-type sensors in a vertical line along the center of the sensor.

AF points capable of focusing at f/8 maximum aperture are a different feature. In the 45-point AF sensor used by the 80D, 90D, 6D2, and others, the center point is capable of f/8 autofocus with any lens-extender combination. In addition, with selected optics 27 AF points are available: namely the 100–400mm L IS II + 1.4x III and the 200–400mm L IS + 2x III. The 90D may support additional combinations besides those two; we don't know yet.

The 7D Mark II supports f/8 focusing with the center point either alone or in the 1+4 or 1+8 point expansion modes, but not with any other point. The 1D X Mark II and 5D Mark IV support f/8 AF with all 61 points.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +33 more
Andreas Berglund Contributing Member • Posts: 851

additionally (according to DPReview coverage) the 90D only has 25 RAW in Buffer. A no go for me I wont buy it.

-- hide signature --

Andréas Berglund
delapsus resurgam

Andreas Berglund's gear list:Andreas Berglund's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D2X Nikon D3200 Nikon D7100 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +33 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads