New SD Card - 4x the size but only twice the number of exposures?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
juhsstin2 Forum Member • Posts: 59
New SD Card - 4x the size but only twice the number of exposures?

Hi all,

Was using a 32gb SD card in my D5000.  Empty, it had about 8k exposures for JPEG normal (4k fine, 2k raw - estimated).  I just got a 128 gb and it's showing 16k JPEG normal, 8k fine, and 4k raw.  Is this to be expected?  I would have expected roughly 4 times the capacity going from the 32gb to the 128gb, not just 2.

Thanks

Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,109
SDHC

juhsstin2 wrote:

Hi all,

Was using a 32gb SD card in my D5000. Empty, it had about 8k exposures for JPEG normal (4k fine, 2k raw - estimated). I just got a 128 gb and it's showing 16k JPEG normal, 8k fine, and 4k raw. Is this to be expected? I would have expected roughly 4 times the capacity going from the 32gb to the 128gb, not just 2.

Thanks

Is it an SDHC card? D5000 doesn't support the SDXC cards so might get limited

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,095
Re: New SD Card - 4x the size but only twice the number of exposures?

According to both Nikon and the review on this Web site, the D5000 takes SD and SDHC cards but does not take SDXC ones.  128 GB is larger than the capacity of any standards compliant SD or SDHC card.  What you have is a SDXC card.

That means that even if the camera appears to accept the card, Bad Things can happen.  The card is not likely to fry your camera.  Still, you could find that you cannot use the full capacity of the card.  Worse, the card could appear to work just fine; then, after you took lots of photos, you could find that many were corrupt or missing.

The safe thing to do here is to return to using SDHC cards in your D5000, and to put the SDXC card away for use with your next camera.

OP juhsstin2 Forum Member • Posts: 59

You are right, it is an SDXC card and I will be following your advice. Sticking to the SDHC format, is 32gb the largest capacity I can get?  Also do you know if the transfer speeds make a big difference (ie/ 80mb/s vs 95 mb/s?)

Many Thanks

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,095

juhsstin2 wrote:

Sticking to the SDHC format, is 32gb the largest capacity I can get?

Yes.  Here's a link to the SD Association's page defining capacities for various card types.

Also do you know if the transfer speeds make a big difference (ie/ 80mb/s vs 95 mb/s?)

For video, you want to get whatever your camera manual says to get.  Note that there are now three types of official speed marks.  Using a card that is "too fast" is unlikely to hurt, or help, anything.  Using one that is "too slow" may result in dropped frames, or stopped recordings.

romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,283

Sdhc only supports up to 32gb. So it depends on how big the 5000 index can go. I doubt if it'll support 128gb

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 8,431

The D5000 is only a 12mp camera.  I never used more than an 8GB or 16GB card with it.  Even shooting RAW that is a lot of photos to be kept on a single card in a single device.

Ever hear the saying about eggs and baskets? 

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +2 more
OP juhsstin2 Forum Member • Posts: 59

Well the cards are so cheap now.  You can get a 32gb 80mb/s SDHC card for $6-7 now on Amazon.  I'm surprise because it seems like the pricing changes rapidly.  I believe I got a similar card just short of a year ago from Bestbuy for upwards of $20.

Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 1,511

juhsstin2 wrote:

Well the cards are so cheap now. You can get a 32gb 80mb/s SDHC card for $6-7 now on Amazon. I'm surprise because it seems like the pricing changes rapidly. I believe I got a similar card just short of a year ago from Bestbuy for upwards of $20.

Exactly. Just go spend $13 on 2 of those 32 GB cards, and shoot away. Even I don't shoot 8K frames on a card before I transfer.

Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D810 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads