Is the GFX Fuji professional services program worth it (in the US)?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
RivkiLocker
RivkiLocker Contributing Member • Posts: 968
Is the GFX Fuji professional services program worth it (in the US)?

Thoughts on the GFX pro services program? I am in the US so it's $499 which seems like a LOT of money for what you get. In the past I never considered it, but I just noticed that they do have a $599 option which adds a three year third party extended warranty (to cover defects up to 3 years). The three year warranty is normally sold for $299 so you are essentially only paying $300 for the pro services, instead of the usual $499... That said, I don’t know much about this service and can’t find a lot of reviews online

Anyone sign up for this? Thoughts on value? Thanks for the input.

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/fps/pdf/GFX-FPS_HighRes.pdf

RivkiLocker's gear list:RivkiLocker's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm X-A10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +9 more
Greg7579
Greg7579 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,770
Re: Is the GFX Fuji professional services program worth it (in the US)?

Rivki, I'm not a pro earner, so don't mind waiting, but the normal service in NJ is outstanding.

Every time I drop a lens, they have it back to me in Texas within 2 weeks.

Greg Johnson, San Antonio, Texas
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139148982@N02/albums

Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-H1 +16 more
RivkiLocker
OP RivkiLocker Contributing Member • Posts: 968

Greg7579 wrote:

Rivki, I'm not a pro earner, so don't mind waiting, but the normal service in NJ is outstanding.

Every time I drop a lens, they have it back to me in Texas within 2 weeks.

I have  had this experience too, and I live in New Jersey So also have the option of driving it to the repair center for even faster service  (if my schedule allows - I live about an hour away)

Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm X-A10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +9 more
RivkiLocker

I should note that I’m not using this system for pro work. I have two x bodies for that. (On rare occasion I'll bring my gfx to a pro shoot but it's just an 'extra' at this point.)

I’m mostly interested in this for the four check and cleans (Fuji charges $185 for each) , 30 percent discount on repairs, and the exceptional treatment I hear you get if you’re part of this program.

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,390

RivkiLocker wrote:

Thoughts on the GFX pro services program? I am in the US so it's $499 which seems like a LOT of money for what you get. In the past I never considered it, but I just noticed that they do have a $599 option which adds a three year third party extended warranty (to cover defects up to 3 years). The three year warranty is normally sold for $299 so you are essentially only paying $300 for the pro services, instead of the usual $499... That said, I don’t know much about this service and can’t find a lot of reviews online

Anyone sign up for this? Thoughts on value? Thanks for the input.

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/fps/pdf/GFX-FPS_HighRes.pdf

My question would be, are the repairs handled by the same service techs who handle the non-pro repairs and is the pro service just priority handling, a discount and the like. I sort of envision master repair persons working on my stuff if I am paying $500/year.

When I got my original GFX 50s (spring 2017), the right side of all of the images were out of focus. I thought decentering was the problem so I sent in the 32-64. They put it on the "bench" and couldn't find anything wrong and sent it back. Still was oof along the right side. As I was chronicling the saga on this forum, someone suggested a tilted sensor. JK may have also suggested that but as usual, I did not understand his jargon which did not include "tilted sensor". Anyway, I sent the camera & lens back in (on their dime) and they still couldn't find the problem. They rep[laced the 32-64 with a brand new one. Back everything came to me but with the problem still intact. (Of course, I sent them images which the manager finally admitted later had not been viewed by anyone.)

So, before sending the rig back in a third time, I spoke with the manager of the service department which included repairs and we had a come to jesus conversation. On the third attempt at a repair, they claimed they could not find the issue but they agreed to send me a new camera along with the new lens they gave me on the last trip. Problem solved.

I think their "repair" department only does simple repairs or adjustments on GFX models. Anything major goes to Japan. At that time anyway. If this is still the case, then priority handling may not be very valuable.

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
Greg7579
Greg7579 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,770

That is interesting Rick.  I wonder if I send my dropped 250 in, which seems OK to me, and ask them to bench test it will it be worthwhile?

Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-H1 +16 more
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,390

Greg7579 wrote:

That is interesting Rick. I wonder if I send my dropped 250 in, which seems OK to me, and ask them to bench test it will it be worthwhile?

I think it would be. They can operate the equipment used to check the lens just fine. It was accurate each time I sent it in (since the problem was not with the lens anyway. ) And, they can do something there at that location to fix adjustment problems. My doubts are with more serious problems.

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
RivkiLocker

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I can find out if this service  gets my repairs to a different repair team. I will let you know what I find out

Chris Dodkin
MOD Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,685
Supposed to be getting re-vamp

A new look FPS is supposed to be imminent in the US

Based on ownership of gear rather than paying a boat load of cash each year

Australia have already adopted the new model

Fujifilm Australia has launched a free support program for qualifying photographers.

The announcement means Fujifilm joins Canon, Nikon and Sony in launching a support program for photographers in Australia.

The new service, FUJIFILM Professional Services (FPS), will provide complimentary phone and email support, checks and cleans, express repairs and loans to both enthusiast and professional customers, provided they meet certain criteria.

To qualify, enthusiasts must have purchased at least one qualifying GFX camera body and GF lens; or two qualifying X Series bodies and three XF lenses in the last 24 months, and professional photographers must have purchased at least one qualifying camera body and lens in either X or GFX Series in the last 24 months.

All purchases must have been made from authorised FUJIFILM retailers, and membership will be granted to Australian residents with an Australian postal address only. To attain professional status, professional credentials must be demonstrated.

Benefits for members include priority repairs, with 'best endeavour' turnaround times of two working days for GFX series and three working days for X Series, access to a dedicated expert, priority telephone and email support, free health checks for two pieces of Fujifilm kit per year, and, dependent on availability, loan equipment.

To register for FPS and for a list of all qualifying camera bodies and lenses, visit fujifilm-connect.com/au/

I'm holding off on the US FPS until they change model

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +42 more
RivkiLocker
Re: Supposed to be getting re-vamp

Chris Dodkin wrote:

Australia have already adopted the new model

Fujifilm Australia has launched a free support program for qualifying photographers.

The announcement means Fujifilm joins Canon, Nikon and Sony in launching a support program for photographers in Australia.

The new service, FUJIFILM Professional Services (FPS), will provide complimentary phone and email support, checks and cleans, express repairs and loans to both enthusiast and professional customers, provided they meet certain criteria.

To qualify, enthusiasts must have purchased at least one qualifying GFX camera body and GF lens; or two qualifying X Series bodies and three XF lenses in the last 24 months, and professional photographers must have purchased at least one qualifying camera body and lens in either X or GFX Series in the last 24 months.

All purchases must have been made from authorised FUJIFILM retailers, and membership will be granted to Australian residents with an Australian postal address only. To attain professional status, professional credentials must be demonstrated.

Benefits for members include priority repairs, with 'best endeavour' turnaround times of two working days for GFX series and three working days for X Series, access to a dedicated expert, priority telephone and email support, free health checks for two pieces of Fujifilm kit per year, and, dependent on availability, loan equipment.

To register for FPS and for a list of all qualifying camera bodies and lenses, visit fujifilm-connect.com/au/

Oh boy this is excellent information. I wonder if fuji rumors might have any additional information about this

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin

RivkiLocker wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

Oh boy this is excellent information. I wonder if fuji rumors might have any additional information about this

You can ask Patrick. I got my info direct from a Fujifilm employee

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +42 more
RivkiLocker

Chris Dodkin wrote:

RivkiLocker wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

You can ask Patrick. I got my info direct from a Fujifilm employee

Hi Chris, Patrick doesn’t know anything about this. Can you share more about where you got this information? Do you think the Fuji FPS rep would share openly? I can ask but I feel like she’s not likely to share until any chances to the program are announced

thanks for any additional info

-- hide signature --

Chris Dodkin

This was one of the US Fujifilm field reps, in a one on one discussion where I was bitching about having to pay for FPS when I'd already dropped $30k on their gear!

I'd ask the FPS rep if they plan to move to the Australian system - it's out there in the public domain - she can confirm, deny or not comment.

-- hide signature --

RivkiLocker

Chris Dodkin wrote:

This was one of the US Fujifilm field reps, in a one on one discussion where I was bitching about having to pay for FPS when I'd already dropped $30k on their gear!

I'd ask the FPS rep if they plan to move to the Australian system - it's out there in the public domain - she can confirm, deny or not comment.

I’ll do that and report back. Thanks!

awpix Junior Member • Posts: 48

what you get is (really) the option of a loaned camera to be shipped overnight while your camera is repaired

that makes a big difference if you depend on the camera to work.

I didn't signup yet because I want to see if they actually have any gfx100 to send me if mine needs to be repaired.

the gfx100 is rapidly becoming a camera for both advanced enthusiasts and pros and not just pros

and both pros and enthusiasts are likely to buy the camera instead of rent it.

That too changes the placement of this camera , but the need of a fast repair turn-around and a loan is imperative for professionals. Extremely important if Fuji wants to stay in that segment

awpix's gear list:awpix's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro H Fujifilm GFX 100 +1 more
RivkiLocker

awpix wrote:

what you get is (really) the option of a loaned camera to be shipped overnight while your camera is repaired

that makes a big difference if you depend on the camera to work.

Yes. Good point. For me, this is less important because a) I don't use GFX for pro work (I use two x bodies for pro) and b) I live in NJ so I have the option of dropping off the body and renting a loaner on the spot - I believe they charge about $50 for the duration of the repair.

I didn't signup yet because I want to see if they actually have any gfx100 to send me if mine needs to be repaired.

the gfx100 is rapidly becoming a camera for both advanced enthusiasts and pros and not just pros

and both pros and enthusiasts are likely to buy the camera instead of rent it.

That too changes the placement of this camera , but the need of a fast repair turn-around and a loan is imperative for professionals. Extremely important if Fuji wants to stay in that segment

Agree wholeheartedly. Thanks for commenting.

RivkiLocker
UPDATE: I spoke to Fuji rep

I spoke to someone at Fuji and it looks like Fuji is working on a revamp of the US program, however it will not be like the Aus program.

It doesn't seem they are reducing costs or anything like that, just they are planning to include the x series cameras in the program.

If this comes, it's likely launching towards the end of the year.

For me, this means it makes sense to wait as I have two x series cameras that I use for my pro work. Thanks @chrisdodkin for the information!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads